West Coast Barbados Beaches. . . (or East)

Abberboo

If you have had personal experience at these West Coast Beaches in Barbados, please share your experience, I would appreciate it very much.

West Coast Beaches:Brandons, Batts Rock, Fitts Village, Paynes Bay, Sandy Lane and Folkestone Park in St.James or Mullins Bay and Heywoods

I have been reading a lot on the internet about these beaches and trying to find out which to go to and they all sound good to me. Things I would like to know about any of these are are umbrellas and chairs for rent? Is there a place to eat? Snorkeling? I am basically into snorkeling a little bit and relaxing under an umbrella.

Also I am trying to familiarize myself wiht the pros and cons of East Coast/West Coast beaches. When I read on the Barbados website, it says the East coast beaches have huge Atlantic waves crash along the shore and these beaches are better suited for walking and sunning. To me, sounds too rough to snorkel. Then it says the West Coast beaches are renowned for the clear warm waters that lap gently onto golden sands, that sounds more like snorkeling type waters to me, but I am not sure.

I also have researched and know the North Beaches are rough and not recommended for swimming and the South Beaches are more lively but I wonder if that means crowded, I prefer secluded beaches but not too deserted.

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts! :)

Trust me...you are a West Coast guy.

The descriptions you've heard are accurate.

East Coast can be downright life-threatening.

Yes, big waves, undertow, rip currents...don't mess with it.

VERY few places to safely swim, and even then it's limited.

Swim only where you see locals swimming, and ask them about this and that,

if you must swim there.

If you're with me,for example.. we swim at Cattlewash(only)

Stick to the West Coast for lots good snorkelling.

Reefs on the headlands, sandy in the bays

- that's the overall pattern up and down the W.Coast.

You biggest problem now is to select which West Coast beach.

East Coast is scenic, but noooo watersports.. not for you or for me,

and I've bin here just a lil while longer than you!!

Generally speaking, sandy beaches aren't always the best areas for snorkeling. Having said that, years ago we stayed at a resort (Sam Lord's Castle) on the East Coast and we couldn't even enter the ocean. It is very dangerous. We took a drive over to the West Coast and the water there was spectacular. We didn't try snorkeling so I can't attest to how good the snorkeling is, but I doubt you would want to attempt swimming/snorkeling on the East coast. Just too dangerous.

Archived