post cruise itinerary

kellig

Is 4 days enough to explore seward, train to ankorage, drive to talktena and denali, and then return to ankorage for a late night flight? Is a day in Talktena needed or is a few hours on the way from Ankorage to Denali sufficient? We are going early june, and from what I gather, the road deep into Denali won't be open very far, so I am wondering if one day instead of two there is ok. We love to hike though. How long is the drive from Ankorage to Denali, I hear traffic can be bad on the way back. Thanks.

Is 4 days enough to explore seward, train to ankorage, drive to talktena and denali, and then return to ankorage for a late night flight? Is a day in Talktena needed or is a few hours on the way from Ankorage to Denali sufficient? We are going early june, and from what I gather, the road deep into Denali won't be open very far, so I am wondering if one day instead of two there is ok. We love to hike though. How long is the drive from Ankorage to Denali, I hear traffic can be bad on the way back. Thanks.

Just my opinion here but I would plan a couple of hours in Talktena and allow most of your time for Denali. The drive from Anchorage takes about five hours. We usually go in early to mid June so I don't know how heavy traffic would be in early June. We have never had any problem at all with traffic on any of our drives to and from Denali.

If you are in Seward, don't miss one of the Kenai tours. The longer one was quite enjoyable and plenty of whales, bears, and glacier calfing. Two hours was enough for us in Talkeetna, unless you are planning a plane excursion to Denali.

Day 1 - cruise ends (in Seward?), 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise (or other Seward activities), p.m. train to Anchorage

Day 2 - pick-up rental car, drive to Denali with stop in Talkeetna

Day 3 - Denali Park shuttle bus

Day 4 - Return to Anchorage for a late evening flight

Yes, it can be done.

I’m always impressed by people who can squeeze so much into a short period of time. As Nancy indicated, it can be done. You can also just spend most of the time in Seward. A fjords cruise is a must and since you indicated you like to hike, there is a phenomenal hike to the Harding Ice Field. It goes up above Exit Glacier which is a very short drive from Seward. The views are incredible. It’s about 8 miles roundtrip. For a shorter hike along the same trail, Marmot Meadows is only about 1.5 miles each way and also provides a great view.

We're doing a similar itinerary, except we will be in Anchorage to attend a conference between days 1 and 2 of the itinerary I posted above. Our plans look like this:

Day 1 - cruise ends in Seward, Kenai Fjords cruise, evening train to Anchorage (5 nights)

Days 2-5 - pick-up rental car, sightsee in the morning, attend conference in Eagle River in the afternoon and evening

Day 6 - drive to Talkeetna for 1 p.m. Mt. McKinley flight, drive to Healy (2 nights)

Day 7 - Denali Park shuttle to Fish Creek (or Eielson Center if open)

Day 8 - Denali activities a.m., return to Anchorage p.m.

Day 9 - drive to Whittier for 4-hour PWS glacier cruise, return to Anchorage for 10 p.m. flight home

I’m always impressed by people who can squeeze so much into a short period of time. As Nancy indicated, it can be done. You can also just spend most of the time in Seward. A fjords cruise is a must and since you indicated you like to hike, there is a phenomenal hike to the Harding Ice Field. It goes up above Exit Glacier which is a very short drive from Seward. The views are incredible. It’s about 8 miles roundtrip. For a shorter hike along the same trail, Marmot Meadows is only about 1.5 miles each way and also provides a great view.

I totally agree. I understand the allure of Denali, but Seward offers a lot. The Harding Icefield Hike is unforgettable, but it's also quite strenuous and not for everyone.

I understand the allure of Denali, but Seward offers a lot. The Harding Icefield Hike is unforgettable, but it's also quite strenuous and not for everyone.

I thought the half-day Root Glacier hike was strenuous, so I doubt I'd want to hike the Harding Ice Field! :eek: If kellig had asked for opinions on how to spend 4 days post-cruise, I probably would've suggested 2 days in Seward and 2 in Homer. Instead, she asked if she could see Seward, Talkeetna, and Denali in 4 days - and the answer is yes.

We had 9 full days in Alaska post-cruise this past summer, and chose not to go to Denali. I don't regret the decision one bit, because we especially loved our time in Kennicott, Homer, and Seward. I'm not that excited about visiting Denali Park next summer, but I'm going because I think I ought to see it at least once. I'm also hopeful that we'll be able to do the Mt. McKinley flight that I booked.

I totally agree. I understand the allure of Denali, but Seward offers a lot. The Harding Icefield Hike is unforgettable, but it's also quite strenuous and not for everyone.

It is definitely strenuous but if you take it slowly, enjoy the scenery and stop often enough, it is not too bad. I did most of it last year with a park ranger (rangers do the hike on Saturdays, if it will stay the same in 2008). I had to turn back a bit early to be back in time for my Kenai Fjords boat tour. I am definitely not in shape (51 years old and overweight) but I did fine on this hike.

The OP probably won't have time to do both Kenai Fjords and Exit Glacier if arriving into Seward in the morning and departing on the train that evening to Anchorage.

Note that there is a shuttle bus operated by Exit Glacier Guides from Seward to Exit Glacier. Cost was $9 round trip last year.

John

Hey, Chilkoot! Thanks for this tip. We have some spare time in Seward, and this is what we are going to do now.

Regards,

Michael

Archived