Spring or Fall for Danube Cruise?

wilhelmina

Any opinions on whether it's best to avoid tourist crunch by going in late May or early September? Which is best, weather-wise (recognizing no one has a crystal ball)?

My husband and I have never been on a European river cruise and appreciate any advice. We're interested in seeing the sights on land perhaps more than relaxing on the boat.

Since our retirement 8 years ago we only travel to Europe Spring and Fall.

In 16 or so trips we have always enjoyed good weather in both September-October and May. Temperatures are moderate and crowds minimal. Go for it, we think you'll love it in the off seasons. Just don't share this information with too many others or we may loose the uncrowded advantage.:)

We took a Viking river cruise 2 years ago on the Danube and Rhine. We departed from Vienna on Sept. 5th and docked in Amsterdam 2 weeks later. We had wonderful weather everyday but one. That day it was overcast and a light drizzle. Every other day was sunny and pleasant. I would start the day out in a jacket and after several hours didn't even need that. Evenings I would again need the jacket. I tend to be cold alot but this time of the eyar was very pleasant.

I agree with the above poster that since we are retired too we travel either in May or Sept. and Oct. So far we have always had very pleasant weather. I would do the Danube cruise in the Fall because you will see the leaves change. The scenery is spectacular whenever you go. enjoy!

micked10

Can't disagree on the spring/fall timing to avoid the crowds. But, sometime last minute deals crop up that are too good to resist. Like an August trip that was less than the same trip in mid-November. For that I'll deal with the "crowds" on-shore. Surprisingly, with tours arranged for you, the crowds don't create much of a wait and the boat only holds so many anyway.

Archived