PG breakfast, lunch and dinner

winemistress45

My own totally unscientific surveys say that most people tip $8 to $15 per person depending on the service. Of course, there's some out at both ends of the bell curve. (That's just for the waiter.) Only once did I leave $15 for the 2 of us, and that time I was toying with the idea of leaving nothing because the service had been so poor.

Hi, Kimberly-

Yes, this time I am determined to get to the PG. I said that last time on the Zuidy-but every day when we would check the dining room menu for the night, there was something that at least one of us really wanted to have. We kept putting it off and then towards the end of the cruise we couldn't get a reservation. This time I really want to do it.

Paula

Here's what happened with us:

I made reservations online before cruising at the PG, and paid for it at that time.

I was later at my TA's office, and we were looking at how to make reservations online for the PG, and after I left her office, she made reservations for my DH and me since it was our 29th anniversary.

I didn't realize this until we boarded the ship and got to the cabin, and there were two dinners at the PG. One I had booked, and one from the TA.

I called the PG and they were kind enough to cancel our reservation and refund the money as obc, and put in that reservations place the one from my TA. So, in the end, we did not pay for the PG dinner, our TA did.

Anyway, when we went to the restaurant, we approached the maitre'd and he took my paperwork. We were seated, then fed, and then... that was it. Nothing to sign or anything. So there was nothing to put a tip on.

So we didn't tip.

If we did something wrong, I didn't know about it. We couldn't figure out how to tip without signing a receipt.

Shay

We also get the dinner at PG from Amex Platinum, but I believe it stipulates that it is good for the first night only? No one wanted to go the first night as we are always anxious to meet our servers and find our table in the dining room. I am thinking this time if we get the free dinner we are going to take it and then decide if the PG was good enough to miss the dining room for a second evening later in the cruise.

P.

We also get the dinner at PG from Amex Platinum, but I believe it stipulates that it is good for the first night only? No one wanted to go the first night as we are always anxious to meet our servers and find our table in the dining room. I am thinking this time if we get the free dinner we are going to take it and then decide if the PG was good enough to miss the dining room for a second evening later in the cruise.

P.

How did you find out about the platinum amex deal?

I paid for my trip with my card -- and then I made a reservation for PG in advance and its also paid for on my card.

Is there someplace that I can look that up?

We always find a gift card in our cabin for First Night aboard in Pinnacle compliments of AmEx. We never go on first night. We almost never use the AmEx card. I know KK says she has used it on other than first night but we have never done that.

We always find a gift card in our cabin for First Night aboard in Pinnacle compliments of AmEx. We never go on first night. We almost never use the AmEx card. I know KK says she has used it on other than first night but we have never done that.

I use mine all the time --- but I checked online and since mine is a "no fee" card it doesn't apply.

Too bad too -- they offered a $300 on board credit and a two category upgrade.

Actually, it is a two category upgrade OR $150 pp shipboard credit for a maximum of two people.

It is the card that bears a membership fee of something like $450 per year. It has many other benefits that are useful for us.

Yes, we always get the $300 credit, the two category upgrade doesn't apply to suites. But, Kimberly, as much as you travel you should really look into the Platinum card. I think it is $300 for the first and $150 for each additional. Obviously one cruise per year and its paid for. When we used to take 3 per year, it really made sense. But the other travel benefits are good: club room access at airports-no need to buy memberships; complimentary upgrades at participating hotels-we have paid rack rate and gotten some awesome rooms! Two for one business class international travel (I know, you have to pay full fare for the first ticket to get the second one free, but I checked prices and it does beat buying two business class tickets even at reduced fares); guaranteed early check-in; late check out. And even more! We love our Amex Platinum! Good travel services too, though they have messed up our reservations more than once.

Paula

Yes, we always get the $300 credit, the two category upgrade doesn't apply to suites. But, Kimberly, as much as you travel you should really look into the Platinum card. I think it is $300 for the first and $150 for each additional. Obviously one cruise per year and its paid for. When we used to take 3 per year, it really made sense. But the other travel benefits are good: club room access at airports-no need to buy memberships; complimentary upgrades at participating hotels-we have paid rack rate and gotten some awesome rooms! Two for one business class international travel (I know, you have to pay full fare for the first ticket to get the second one free, but I checked prices and it does beat buying two business class tickets even at reduced fares); guaranteed early check-in; late check out. And even more! We love our Amex Platinum! Good travel services too, though they have messed up our reservations more than once.

Paula

Mine is a platinum its just a no fee platinum.

We used to have many of those same services and after a year or so Amex started changing the terms -- I guess they just couldn't make that pencil with a no fee card.

But you are so right -- as much as I travel it would benefit me in no time at all - especially the business class overseas travel...I'll have my office check into that while I'm on the cruise!

Thanks for the info Paula!!! See you in a couple of days!

There was a time when we could use the AMEX Plat free dinner only on the first night. During that time we were able to use it only once. The problem was that at that time, the 1/2 deal was in place for the first night and people were really taking advantage of it. One time we were asked to sign the card even though we weren't able to take advantage of the free dinner. We told them "no way" - we didn't get the free dinner - why should AMEX pay you? When we got home we wrote to AMEX about this. I have often wondered how many other people signed the cards not realizing that if they didn't opt for the free dinner, AMEX would still be embursing HAL?

The last couple of years we have been able to go on any evening of our choosing.

Uh-oh.

We do not drink, so no bar trips, so no knowledge of tipping in cash. I mean, I know that people that go to the bar tip in cash, but we never go to the bar, so do not carry around money on the ship since everything else is on the cashless order.

On Celebrity, we ate at the optional restaurant, and there was a line to sign for a tip. So I just assumed it'd be the same way at the PG. Honestly, the thought of tipping cash just never entered our minds.

Oh, well, can't undo it now. I'll have to make it up on our next cruise with someone else.

Shay

I know we aren't the only couple in the cruising world who doesn't drink and so maybe this ought to be general knowledge somehow. The tipping at PG, I mean.

I never knew to ask that particular question before we made our maiden voyage with HAL in October. I thought I knew all about tipping.

Shay

p.s. Gosh, I'm really feeling bad. I'd never, ever stiff anyone.

I know we aren't the only couple in the cruising world who doesn't drink and so maybe this ought to be general knowledge somehow. The tipping at PG, I mean.

That can happen even to experienced cruisers who know the drill, osiebosie.

I once went to the Pinnacle with full knowledge that I should be prepared to tip in cash; I forgot to bring any cash with me, though.

At some point I excused myself to the "restroom" and made a mad dash to my cabin to get some $$$.

Just a little suggestion to anyone else who may be forgetful at times, too. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
That can happen even to experienced cruisers who know the drill, osiebosie.

I once went to the Pinnacle with full knowledge that I should be prepared to tip in cash; I forgot to bring any cash with me, though.

At some point I excused myself to the "restroom" and made a mad dash to my cabin to get some $$$.

Just a little suggestion to anyone else who may be forgetful at times, too. ;)

Thanks for this suggestion, Ruth - because on our W'dam cruise, I ended up following it not once but TWICE. That is, BOTH of the times we ate breakfast in the PG, I forgot to bring tip $ along and had to run back to the cabin to fetch it. :o Luckily we were on deck 4 so it wasn't that far!

Archived