$12.00 Martinis?????

nvcruise

Just wondering: Are we able to bring a little nip in our luggage?

Yes, I'm curious about this too. My husband and I have always brought our own wine onboard, and I have read that this is okay with Azamara limited to 2 bottles per stateroom. When we have sailed with a RCCL and Princess we have purchased rum in the Caribbean and beer in the Mexican Riviera while in port and brought it on board in our back packs and we have never been stopped or questioned about it, even though their alcohol policy is the same as Azamara's. I am hoping Azamara will extend the same courtesy to their guests. The Azamara brochure states that "alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing." This would be a total bummer and would definitley influence my decision to sail with them again.

When we were on the Quest in October and going through security to get back on the ship in Cozumel, there was a pile (about 20) of bags that contained bottles of alcohol. Presumably these were "confiscated" from people who purchased them in town. I assume they were delivered to their staterooms on the last night of the cruise.

Yes, I'm curious about this too. My husband and I have always brought our own wine onboard, and I have read that this is okay with Azamara limited to 2 bottles per stateroom. When we have sailed with a RCCL and Princess we have purchased rum in the Caribbean and beer in the Mexican Riviera while in port and brought it on board in our back packs and we have never been stopped or questioned about it, even though their alcohol policy is the same as Azamara's. I am hoping Azamara will extend the same courtesy to their guests. The Azamara brochure states that "alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing." This would be a total bummer and would definitley influence my decision to sail with them again.

I completely agree with you. As I have stated before, if Azamara is indeed strict with this rule then this will be my first and only cruise with them, without a doubt.:mad:

TWO bottles...on a 14 night cruise??? What is that...about 1/2 ounce per day....

Where did the $12 price tag that started this post come from?

As I said - the martinis on the menu in the Journey martini bar were mostly $10, with a few $11.

The following was from Bryanjaync on 11/15 after returning from 10/31 to 11/12 cruise on Quest. There must be a price disparity between Journey and Quest. Maybe Quest has better martinis at $12.00...you think???

"We bought a soda card for $5 / day for a total of $60 plus a 18% gratuity. By the can, soda is $2. Since we stayed in a Sky Suite, sodas from the mini bar were free. It took a few visits to Guest Relations to explain that fact and that we wanted our frig stocked with diet Cokes, but it finally worked out. I dont drink alcohol, but my partner does, so from seeing his experiences, I think the cheapest wine was $6 a glass. Martinis were $12. BEWARE: the daily news letter will list the drink special of the day, but it doesnt mean necessarily that the price is 'special'. for instance the drink special of the day was martinis, but we were told that the price was still $12, it was just the special drink of the day. Still dont understand that. ADVICE: Each stateroom / cabin is allowed to carry two bottles of wine onboard for consumption in the cabin. You will save a bundle by buying two bottles and carrying them onboard. It is totally permitted, and your cabin steward can supply glasses (we brought a cheapo wine opener). Cannot comment on bottled water or speciality coffees."

• 2 weeks later...

I got my docs today for 12/22/07 Quest sailing. The docs clearly state that one can bring 2 bottles per cabin of wine on board for consumption in your cabin, it doesn't mention spirits. If your personal wine is taken to Discoveries or a specialty restaurant for consumption with a meal, there will be a corkage fee of $25. This is not smuggling, it's highway robbery!

I just found this post. We have a Martini most nights when we cruise. Not while we're at home, but this is vacation after all. It'll cost more than the whole cruise. 2 bottles of wine sound really nice, but on an 18 day cruise? I may take the chance and smuggle some Ketel One . :) If they take it, oh well. RSSC and SS sound really good right now. We're not heavy duty drinkers, but this stuff adds up. I'd rather spend it in the spa.

I would be interested to hear someone's bar tab after a cruise.

Specifically the "2 drinks a night" type person.

I'm a pretty big beer drinker on vacation, 4-6 a day is a good number

but if booze is that expensive, looks like I am going to have a dry cruise.

Please someone tell me beer is only like 4 bucks a bottle, cause that would be nice to hear.

We just got back from the Quest 14 day Southern Carribean cruise.

Yes, you can take some booze in your luggage at embarkation. They did not take mine or any other that I'm aware of.

I do highlight some because if people start taking cases of beer, cases of wine or bottles & bottles of liquor then Azamara, as well as the other lines, will start enforcing the rule of no alcohol brought on-board!!!

So, let's be appreciative that we can take some booze and not go crazy, please.

Regarding the wine pours, we ordered several single glasses and they were poured generously.

All the other drinks that we had did not add up to an enormous amount of money. About what I would expect on other Celebrity ships. We did not drink any Martinis but others told us the Martinis were 4 ounces instead of the normal 1 ounce.

And our Azamara trip was really nice. We enjoyed it tremendously!

Alan & Regina

• 4 months later...

Was cruising through the Azamara threads doing researching on my upcoming 5/5/08 Journey sailing and "Martini" caught my eye; I'm a fan of them!

$10-12 for a resort/cruise martini I'm afraid is about the going rate.....with tip and especially if you ask for a top shelf vodka/gin!

I'm hoping the Journey's Martini Bar will do a great job!

Yep, off the Journey on Wednesday after 18 days.

Martinis in the Martini bar were in the $10 range, plus 18% gratuity.

They were at least doubles. Very few of us had more than one before dinner-

the other drinks were smaller, and drinkers often doubled up.

Sure, we could have sat in the cabin and slammed down a couple ounces, but we were able to meet a good number of different folks in the hour or so before we chose to eat.

For me, martini time is usually 5 pm, either at home or with the neighbors. On board, it ranged from 5 to a bit after 6, depending on what was going on.

And, having befriended the cocktail deliverer, my wife often got cashews instead of peanuts. This did cause some problems with others who sat at "our" table and tried to eat her nuts!

$12? Bargain vs. our hotel in London (Claridges), 12 pounds for a cocktail, with the current exchange that was approx $23. It was good though....

The Park Sheraton charged about that for a martini, too. One Grey Goose martini and one Jack Daniels on the rocks was about $40.:eek:

The Park Sheraton charged about that for a martini, too. One Grey Goose martini and one Jack Daniels on the rocks was about $40.:eek:

The Sunday NY Times Travel section has an excellent article about martinis. They mention that at the Sheraton St. Regis, in NY, the martinis are us$18.

Anyone know if the 'Martini Bar' on Journey makes decent Manhattans?? Boarding May 5th.

Cheers,

Bob

If, after you ante up for the basic cruise fare, you can't enjoy a drink or two at an "above dry land price" then maybe it's time to reconsider your options. If we talk about a $12 martini, it's not the $12, it's the $4 difference from a restaurant at home. Kinda puts it in perspective, NO? :confused:

The Sunday NY Times Travel section has an excellent article about martinis. They mention that at the Sheraton St. Regis, in NY, the martinis are us$18.

Anyone know if the 'Martini Bar' on Journey makes decent Manhattans?? Boarding May 5th.

Cheers,

Bob

We were on the Journey last Fall for it's repo to Florida. Trust me, they do right by both Manhattens and Old Fashioneds. I just had to explain how many of us from Wisconsin and Minnesota prefer both with brandy instead of whiskey and O Fs with extra cherry juice. Yea, I used to toss drinks back in school at an upscale restaurant for people escaping Chicago on weekends. I wonder if anyone still serves martinis with anchovy stuffed lives. One of my fun prep jobs on Friday nights for the Flatlanders.

You are right! $ 12.- for a Martini is almost a rippoff, because there is a additional 18% Servicecharge to pay! As I did my first Cruise in the late 60`s beginning of 70´s was the Price of a Martini 75Cents. At that Time the Barrevenue was not a Question,it was Service. Today the Revenues from Outlets is a very important Part to the Budget of all Cruiselines.

Archived