$12.00 Martinis?????

nvcruise

Be sure to try the 'flight of Martinis' which allows you to taste 5-6 - they were so generous that we shared a flight and I still had to ask the bartender if I could come back the next day for my last one (I did!). This was a bargain but, I admit, we did show up for our nightly pre-dinner drink - figuring that an extra $4 a day (for the 2 of us) was not much in the grand scheme of things...splurges, I know, but worth it to us.

While I didn't measure the glass - the waiter did bring us a 'regular' martini glass, and then a martini glass served in the martini bar - it was definitely larger. I also asked for a sip mid-pour, so I got every drop!

Our martinis were $10 and $11 - didn't see any $12 ones - unless you're talking about with tip.

Most nice resorts charged at least that, if not more. Cruise ship=floating resort.

Do cruiselines pay the same duty on their alcohol as land-based resorts?

I doubt it.

Do cruiselines pay their employees as well as most Western-world land-based resorts? No way.

Drinks on the high seas used to be huge bargains compared to on land.

In no way should alcoholic drinks on a cruise ship be equal to or more than comparable-quality land-based resorts.

Most nice resorts charged at least that, if not more. Cruise ship=floating resort.

What land based resort have you been to that charged $12 for a martini??? WOW!

I've been to some nice places but I don't think I've seen those prices :eek:

and I'm glad!!

houstontx-Just looking at the online bar menu for the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco (where I stayed a couple of months ago) their "Americano Martini" is $12. Most cocktails range from $9-$12. This is not even a high-end resort but part of a chain of boutique city hotels (like the 'W" hotel chain).

Living in Las Vegas, home of Michelin three-star, Mobil five-star and AAA five-diamond restaurants, I expect to pay $12.00 plus for a martini at Joel Robuchon at MGM Grand or Picasso at Bellagio, but not in a cruise ship lounge.

Guess I'll need to consider our upcoming cruise a "rehab" experience. But then again, it's only money.

I had a real shocker when we were in India a couple of years ago. Granted we were in one of the nicest hotels in the city but we were stilled shocked when we got our check for 4 martinis (2 each) and it was almost $80.00 before tip! I thought that since India is such a poor country that the drinks would be cheap. Live and learn I guess...

Andy

Princess, for example, charges around $7 for a martini made with premium spirits. I guess Azamara charges what they do...well, because they can. Perhaps pricing schemes like these are part of the reason they can't fill two small ships without having to resort to offering massive discounts on every other sailing.

I seriously doubt martini prices have substantial (if any) effect on bookings of a cruise line, resort or hotel.

Cruiseguy...while your input is appreciated and well taken, it's the little things that create failure. If Azamara fails in its promises and at the same time takes advantage of a captive audience, they may struggle to keep the "deluxe" premise of their business "afloat" (pardon the pun). As travelers and investors, we watch the course they pursue.

nvcruise-I guess my point is that I don't let my enjoyment of a deluxe ship, hotel, whatever be affected by the price of a martini or other individual item if the overall product itself is good value and enjoyable. Whether Azamara passes this test is still open to question.

nvcruise-I guess my point is that I don't let my enjoyment of a deluxe ship, hotel, whatever be affected by the price of a martini or other individual item if the overall product itself is good value and enjoyable.

But, aren't the cost of drinks, alternative restaurant, excursions, tips, etc. calculated into determining if it is a good value?

$12 martini - San Francisco, Beverly Hills, Azamara......which word doesn't belong here?

Whether Azamara passes this test is still open to question.

Indeed, I agree.

Archived