Litvinov (Uniworld) Vs Tolstoy (Amadeus/Brendan)

trvlgrl64

We are finally down to these two choices. With Uniworld we can take the 16 day tour for a similar price to the 14 day on Amadeus. On both we are looking at Jr Stes (more than 200 sq ft, seperate showers, twin/queen beds).

If anyone has been on either of these I'd love to hear your thoughts. I keep searching and searching but it is truly difficult to find much for info on the Russian river cruises. I did find one detailed review on the Tolstoy here (Coral's was great) but it scared me off a little??

Thanks so much!

We were on Amadeus Tolstoy this past summer. I don't have any other ship to compare our trip to but I would advise people to choose a different ship for Russia. If you want me to elaborate, I would be happy to. I would look at a ship that has more time in Moscow and St. Petersburg compared to Amadeus.

Also, if you are looking at suites on Amadeus, you might want to check with them to see if any are still available. We sailed with friends and the week we went was determined by what week they had suites available. We were extremely limited.

There is more information on River cruises on Fodor's website/forums. Select Europe and then select Russia and there is at least more information over there compared to here.

We have heard from many friends who have done river cruises in Europe and Russia that all the Russian ships, being leased are not up to par.

They no way compare to the European ones in luxury, food or service.

We have avoided the Russian river cruises in favor of ocean cruises that spend time in Russia.:mad:

Have never traveled with them, but Grand Circle offers a Russian cruise with the time in Moscow and St,Petersburg spent in hotels. The ship also has been renovated--supposed to have hotel style beds. Viking Sukov is also being renovated to more Euro style boat. Check their web sties. We keep hoping that Avalon finally gets a Russian cruise. We are leaning towards Grand Circle, mainly because of the hotel stays. It will make it easier to get around especially in Moscow. Pat

Archived