ebay help

jjssitters

hi linda,I have a ryan too :) .I love shopping with ebay and I wont stop because when all is said and done you get the best bargains there.however my credit card should be sufficient .I am not asking them to change thier rules for me ,I just didnt know that these were the rules,

with the help of the people on these boards and after a phone call to paypal I understand that this is the way it is.so again, I will open an account just for ebay and that will make me and paypal feel better.

I want to thank everyone for all your help,I knew that on this board I would find my answers,thanks again :)

I also was not crazy about having my banking info given to paypal.

What I did was open a seperate checking account that I use strictly for ebay/paypal. I keep a minimum amount of money, that way it is easier to keep track of also.

I get those phoney emails telling me my account will be suspended if I don't update or that they think fraud has been done. I just forward them and NEVER put my info in.

I opened another checking account just for ebay and became verified so all was settle so I thought,I paid for the won item and that went though it has even been deliverd and is just gorgeous,so I was very happy :) .two days after this I get another email from paypal saying if I dont click on the link and update my account it would be terminated :confused: I just updated everything two days before this.I am going to ignore it and see what happens the next time I bid on something,I am afraid this is a hoax and I dont know how to forward it to ebay there is no forward box on it.go figure :(

Potential hoaxes can be emailed to ebay at spoof@ebay.com

They will notify you within 24 hours whether it is authentic or not. Odds are it is NOT. ebay has been extremely good about getting back with me lately about spoofs. I received one this week also asking me to verify. I've been on ebay since 2000 and never had to do that, so I was suspicious.

Natalie

Any email of any kind from any organization that has access to account information or money of yours and includes a link is suspect.

PayPal spoofers have been doing this for a few years. Any email from PayPal will not include any links, and suspect emails should be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com

Someone already mentioned the ebay address for the same problem, but here it is again: spoof@ebay.com

If you log on to the actual website for an organization, the information you get is trustable, but I never believe email due to the large amount of spoofing out there.

As a web professional, I get very frustrated with the hacks out there who come up with scheme after scheme to break into my servers, but the spoofers really tan my hide. :mad:

OK. Here is my answer/solution.

I have had an ebay/paypal account for about 3 years. I have several credit cards and have reserved one card for ALL my on-line purchases with a decent credit limit that I never come near. It never leaves my house so can not be lost or stolen. I generally use it 1-2x/month so it remains active and I ALWAYS know exactly what is on the card. Thus any problems or questionable are easily traced.

In fact, of my 4 general purpose cards I only carry one at any time so if anything happens (lost, misplaced, stolen) there is always a back-up. Hubby & I also never carried the same card. He used a Visa and I used a discover. We had the one card for on-line and a backup if any was lost.

Beth (Seaya39) is right about paying on PayPal with a credit card. To accept a payment made by credit card, the seller has to have a certain type of account. DH likes to dabble with buying and selling things he thinks he can make a profit on, but he is very definitely small time. It is not worth it to him to upgrade to the type of account that can accept a payment made by credit cards. He has had a problem with a couple of sales because of this. So, unless you get the PayPal credit card they were talking about, I would go with a small checking account set up just for PayPal and eBay.

As you know never verify anything through e-mail. It is not a secure medium at all and that is good enough to keep me from sending anything important, ever. If you get an e-mail asking you to click on a link, don't do it. If you are working in Paypal or Ebay and get an error message those are secure connections (or become so when you get to specific points in the bidding and payment process) and should be trusted.

do a lot of buying on ebay, plowing through my xmas shopping lately. i got an email last weekend that had the ebay logo on the email and a link to a page that asked me for credit card info and threatened to suspend my account if i failed to "verify the information." one heads up that i had was that i knew that i had never provided information about my accounts to ebay in the past. i HAD provided it to paypal ONLY. why would ebay be asking me for this info now. fake-alert!!!

anyway, i checked security in the actual ebay site and forwared the email to "ebayspoof.com" or something and they responded within an hour that the email was a fake.

another thing i learned is that ebay and paypal will never send an important email to us as members that will not address us by our real name. not "ebay member or paypal member" hope this helps...

This happened to my father a few weeks ago!! He got an email that he thought was from Paypal and gave him all his account info. Then in TWO days, over $1200 was wiped out from his checking from an ATM card in California. He called Paypal and they said they NEVER ask for credit card account info by email. Or at least you have to log in from the email into their site. BEWARE!!!

I use a different bank and checking account with Ebay. One that doesn't have alot of $$$$ in and that I don't use for anything else. Luckily there are no fees for this account so I can do this with no problem.

If you ever do have to get a new name, they can transfer your feedback over to your new name. I had to do that because I forgot my password and they couldn't send it through to my email for some reason.

One thing that a lot of people aren't aware of is that if there is ever any kind of unauthorized activity through your bank account or your credit card, the bank or credit card company must give you recredit and investigate the claim. There are some limitations - you must report it within 60 days of when you received the statement with the information, etc. But, the bottom line is that while it is a pain to deal with, you won't be out the money. If you ever need to take advantage of this, be sure to reference Regulation E to the person you are dealing with. This is the federal regulation that stipulates the process that banks and credit card companies must follow.

I know this to be true because I work for a bank and my job is to make sure we follow the law for this process. :)

Archived