ebay help

jjssitters

I have had an ebay account for over a year with paypal,I have never had a problem before.but now when I go to pay using paypal it wont let me it says I need to get verified and they want me to give them my bank account.I really dont want them to have access with my bank,my credit card is almost no balance on it so my spending limit should be ok.Has anyone else had this problem.I am asking here because I have read many times on this board how many of you shop at ebay.I really dont want to start a new name as I have 100 percent good feedback.help please

I would contact e-bay and ask if they sent that message. If I am correct they have a phone # to call rather than using the site. I sure woulden't give my account # to anyone. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck Judy

Go to www.ebay.com directly. DO NOT RESPOND to ANY email sent claiming it was from ebay. They will never ask for credit card info, etc. If you feel you have been a victim of fraud regarding your ebay account, contact ebay and they will walk you through the steps to resolve it.

I found out the hard way about 2 years ago. It said my account was suspended. I was shocked, clicked on the ling provided, put in my ID and password, and 2 months later someone posted 2 very expensive cameras for sale. ebay caught in within 24 hours and stopped the auctions, contacted me and got it fixed. The emails look really authentic, but they are not.

If you have any other questions about ebay, feel free to email me. My ebay ID is natalunia. I buy and sell alot of stuff and I am always willing to help other ebayers with problems.

Natalie

hi,when I hit paypal and put in my password its say that I have exceeded my spending limit with out getting verified.I tried re entering my credit card number but it still says to get verified and I am not giving them my checking account number thats for sure.anne did you use paypal because without giving your charge number how did you do that.I am going to have to try registering under another name which I hate to do because I have excellent feedback :mad:

hi anne thats what I have too,I have looked at the message boards and all over the ebay site for a phone number but I am not having any luck.I will send a money order for the item won but I dont know what to do for future items,I wonder if I can close out my id and start over again :mad: not a choice I would like though.about a month ago they wanted me to open a paypal charge and I didnt respond I wonder if this is how they go about forcing the issue

Not that I am a big advocate of Paypal, but you can set up a Paypal account without a credit card or bank account (atleast it was that way when I set mine up). Of course I now have my bank account and credit cards on it, but I have had no problems. If you are verified with Paypal it will cover you if something is not what you thought when you get it home. I too would hate to lose my rating... :( I do not know of any phone # for ebay, but I have gotten a response within 24 hours by email. Also, they can walk you through a problem using chat. Hopefully it can get resolved positively.

Natalie

I just got a similar email. DO NOT RESOND TO IT!!! Contact ebay or Paypal immediatly. You can forward the email to them. Go the their website. Click on help or security. There are instructions to follow if you suspect a phony email. They will check out your account and track down the sender of the scam email. I just had this happen to me a few days ago.

DO NOT CLICK A LINK IN THE EMAIL!! DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF!!

Linda

I always forward any emails from "ebay" to them for verification. Even then, I don't trust all of this on-line nonsense. I know a girl in our office that opened an email from ebay, which it really wasn't, and gave her credit card number to. I don't have to go into what happened next. Err on the side of caution.

Paypal has had my bank account and credit card information since 2000 and (knock wood) I have never had a problem. I think being verified gives you a higher spending limit as a buyer. All it means is that you've established a bank account somewhere, which (according to the Paypal site) makes you a more thoroughly-checked out person than somebody with "just" a credit card. That really doesn't make any sense to me, but it's their game so I guess we have to pay by their rules.

but just to clarify: you did not get an email telling you this, did you? It was a message from the Paypal site when you logged in, yes? Maybe try going directly to www.paypal.com & logging in there to see what it says. Then you can trust the message you're getting. Well, more or less.:p

thank you everybody,yes it was a message from paypal that it exceeds spening limit.I finally talk on the phone to paypal and what they told me was that when I opened an account with them they approved me for a thousand dollars total or until sept.of 2005 which ever came first,05 came first after that I would have to add a bank account and become verified,they assured me that it was safe however what concerns me is I have to email them the amout of my last two deposits to prove I am who I say I am lol they have my credit card for two years,doesnt that prove who I am and my address and phone number.this really has me ticked,I could see if I didnt pay for items or had a bad credit rating but both are in excellent shape.they approved me a thousand like they are giving me the credit lol I am using my master card.I havent decided what to do about ,this I really dont want to do this.I am going to send a money order to the sellar for this item but after that I dont know

Paypal will make 2 deposits into your account (for small amounts like $.37 & $.43) When you notice these deposits in your account, then you contact Paypal & tell them the 2 amounts. Guess this is how they verify that it's a working account. After that you should be all set.

hi marty :) ,I understand about the small amounts but I am concerned that at that point they have access to my account.we have to pay our insurance with that kind of payment but thats my life insurance.this is where any nut can commit fraud and they could be employees of ebay.maybe I am making too much of this but I have a hard time trusting anything over the internet.at least with my credit card I am protected against fraud what protects me with the bank.

to me after a year and a half of buying with no problems they should lift that credit limit on merit alone.I think I am just going to close it out and start over again :mad:

I completely understand. I'm not real crazy about them going into my checking account either, but so far (knock lots of wood) I haven't had a problem. My biggest problem with ebay is buying something & it turns out to be not as nice as I'd thought it'd be. (and usually smaller too)

thank you everybody,yes it was a message from paypal that it exceeds spening limit.I finally talk on the phone to paypal and what they told me was that when I opened an account with them they approved me for a thousand dollars total or until sept.of 2005 which ever came first,05 came first after that I would have to add a bank account and become verified,they assured me that it was safe however what concerns me is I have to email them the amout of my last two deposits to prove I am who I say I am lol they have my credit card for two years,doesnt that prove who I am and my address and phone number.this really has me ticked,I could see if I didnt pay for items or had a bad credit rating but both are in excellent shape.they approved me a thousand like they are giving me the credit lol I am using my master card.I havent decided what to do about ,this I really dont want to do this.I am going to send a money order to the sellar for this item but after that I dont know

This is the same Paypal procedure I went through. They made two small deposits into my checking account and I then told them what the amounts were. I did this several years ago. I have never had a problem with either ebay or Paypal. They are very integertious and honest. They have never abused the access to my account, credit card information or any other information I have given them and have protected me from others who may abuse this information. I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course it is up to you. It is, however, not worth starting over with a new account just to avoid this process. At least that is my opinion. And that is my experience and I have had a lot of experience with Paypal and ebay.

Good luck to, regardless of what you decide to do.

Linda

Hi Folks,

This is called 'phishing'.

You will get very authentic-looking e-mails asking you for personal financial information (debit/check card numbers, SS #, credit card numbers, passwords, etc.)

Most folks know to not reply, but sometimes the e-mails look so legitimate that it's easy to get sucked in, and victims can get in real trouble.

T

We didn't like the idea of giving out the info about our bank account either. We were leary of someone being able to send a draft through and having the money withdrawn from our account when the payment wasn't ours. We opened a checking account that we use just for PayPal. We keep a minimum balance in it then deposit whatever we need to cover a PayPal payment. We shopped around until we found a bank that would give us a free checking account. (We can only write a limited number of checks, but we don't buy enough with PayPal to exceed the minimum.) And we specified that we did NOT want overdraft coverage. Some sellers will only ship to a verified address, so not being verified can have its disadvantages.

I'm surprised you've been able to use only your Credit Card through Paypal to pay for Ebay auctions. Many sellers (including me) have personal accounts only and cannot and do not accept Credit Card payments. If you take credit card payments, your account is upgraded to a business account and each credit card transactions costs you money.

I've used PayPal for at least 4 years (maybe 5) and have never had an issue. They will NEVER send you an e-mail requesting personal information of any kind - you've probably received emails from ebay more than once letting you know this. I really do believe the system is a good one and is secure. It really does not allow for anyone to take money out of your account - you have to send it.

Beth

I also contacted PayPal directly when I got the "verified" info. As you found out, jjsitters, it is legit and I tried to get around it with them every way I could think of...the upshot was that if I wanted to continue to use PayPal, the bank account number had to go on file.

I did it and am keeping very close track of my bank account. However, one more thing that no one has mentioned--when you purchase something, be sure to change the method of payment to your credit card! The bank account becomes the preferred method of payment and your purchases will be automatically deducted from your checking account!

I tried to talk with them on this as well but the only answer was that I had to change it every time I purchase. Not a good thing and certainly hasn't improved my opinion.

I also agree with the many who have posted about the false emails; there are many and they do look legit. Send them to spoof@ebay.com and chances are that you will get an email back thanking you for letting them know, the email is being investigated, etc. Be sure to do any giving or changing of information directly thru the PayPal website..

cruisenceltic,you have hit on it exactly,there is noway around it ,I havent done anything yet but I think a previous poster had the best idea,I will open a seperate bank account with free checking.and use this just for ebay.right now my opinion of ebay is very low.I could see if they had payment trouble with me but they havent.

I really beleive that both Ebay and Paypal are very trustworthy and relialble. I have used them for years, gone through the verification process and felt comfortable using Paypal for secure non-Ebay purchases. You can use them for many online purchases and your payment is secure.I have never had a problem. They state their policies very clearly and discuss them with customers. They will not, however, change them to suit individuals. They explain the rules and treat everyone fairly. They are very security minded and careful with your personal information. They have NEVER abused the information I have given them and they have had it for years.

With that out of the way, it is in the end your choice. If you are uncomfortable, don't do it. However it is their business and they get to set the rules. This is the way they do business. None of us have to do business with a company we are not comfortable with. That is just the way it is.

Linda

Archived