Tuxedo? Yes or no?

Hi. When are you cruising? I am 25 and my finace is 26. We are going on the Navigator of the Seas on Feb. 11. We have one formal night and my finace isn't renting a tux. We both feel we don't need to. He has a suit, in which he may or may not where the jacket , but none the less will be dressed nicely and appropriately. With every cruise some will be overdressed and then you will have even people where jeans.

I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

In September, my wife and I traveled to Alaska for the month, ending in a 14 night cruise on the Radiance. Prior to the cruise, we spent time in Alaska on a land tour and on our own. Normally, I would like to wear a suit on formal nights, but to avoid having to lug it around in Alaska (casual dress is the rule, although I did carry several sport jackets for the semi-formal nights on the cruise), I decided to rent a tux and an extra shirt (it came with 2 and I needed one more as we had 3 formal nights). The price was quite reasonable, and I will probably do it more regularly in the future.

By the way, the bottom line is how you look in the tux, regardless of what others do.

So many your age look great!:)

I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

Rent the tux, no doubt about it? If you're military, police, fire, emt, Civil Air Patrol, whatever, don't forget that you can "accessorize" your tux just like the ladies wear their jewelry. Mini medals and awards look awesome on the lapel of a tux. Don't worry about being the only one wearing a tux, even if you are, it'll just be jealousy.

Pack a suit - you'd be the youngest man there in a tux.

Entire families of young men of all ages had on tuxes on our last Grandeur cruise. It was neat to see the young guys and even the little ones all dressed up. You'll never be out of place in a tux on formal night because there are always many wearing them. If you are going to cruise much you might consider buying a nice used rental -- unless you prefer not to have to pack it each time.

Archived