Tuxedo? Yes or no?

I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

Depends entirely on the length of the cruise.

The longer the cruise is, the more likely that you'll have more than one formal night. The passenger makeup will be different (less of booze cruise attitude). However, no matter what, you may also find that you're seated with people that could care less about formal night and not even have to bother.

But forget formal nights for a second:

Here's where it begins breaking down. At night, no matter what, I'd suggest always being in a long sleeve dress shirt and khakis (or better pants). You'll appear more attractive like that anytime, and that's more important any night. Not just formal nights.

If you're cruising alone or with some pals, the tuxedo will look out of place unless it is a team effort. If cruising with a partner, all bets are off ... ask them. If cruising with family, ask them what they're doing.

But again, how long is that cruise? From what I've experienced, it really does play a huge factor.

This cruise is 7 days long - 2 formal nights, I think?

Confirmed on RCCL website. Two formal nights. Seven days long is just past the cusp of the typical booze cruise but still floating around in there.

I'm kinda picking up that you don't want to pack too much, want to do the formal thing, but not totally into it. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you just packed a dark neutral (black) jacket, you'd be able to get away with a white dress shirt and two ties. You can wear the pants/slacks twice (or more :)). Be extra careful on the first formal night (don't stain the white shirt!) and then switch out of it at your leisure.

I'd say the tuxedo is all fine and dandy if you're getting photos taken or sailing with people that are doing a tuxedo "thing". Otherwise, the rental cost will not outweigh the extra little bit involved in packing.

If you're trying to meet someone, don't skimp on the dress shirts. Avoid the superhero, flame designs, Asian dragon/text style, etc. ... big bowling shirts equals yesterday. You're already old enough to know that though unless it really really fits your personality and you're extremely social. Lean toward the more "clubby" style of dress shirt with a modest pattern. To the dismay of some, jeans work well with that look. Don't overdue khaki colored pants at night, black/dark pants are better. Black leather slip on shoes with black dress socks. Don't go to any of the dance areas early early, and conserve your sleep to being able to stay up until 2am+. This is also the approach if you're going with some pal(s). See if they want to do a tuxedo "thing".

Otherwise, ask your partner or family what's up.

One thing to remember that no matter what you do, you will not be alone.

There will be men in tux's, suits, men with out coats and ties, and everything in between.

One thing to remember that no matter what you do, you will not be alone.

There will be men in tux's, suits, men with out coats and ties, and everything in between.

I agree with TahoeBob.

I don't know what cruises the people go on that say there a very few tuxes :confused: . I see lot's of them on every cruise. You would not be alone! Those that choose not to wear one usually have on a great looking suit or are dressed in somthing nice. I do the tux thing but that's just me. Have fun on your cruise!

What does your S.O.think? My wife likes me in a tux.Sometimes I feel like wearing a blue blazer.Both work.A nice suit can be worn also .I don't think any of the three would make you look out of place.We usually sit at tables for eight and have had suits and tuxes together at the table and it looked fine.I agree the longer the cruise the more formal.Also I believe the later in the year the more formal.Don't worry about staining the shirt.You can send it to the laundry

Hi newcruiser,

Wow, you're sure getting a variety of opinions and replies here. Basically, it's up to you and your comfort level. My husband rented a tux for one of our cruises; he ordered it online and it was waiting in our stateroom before we sailed. It came with 2 crisp, white shirts (2 formal nights on 7 night cruises) and it fit him perfectly. He didn't pack a suit, obviously, and he looked fabulous and felt great. It was so easy and convenient, and cost about $100.00, I think.

You are young - but trust me, you will look incredible if you choose to wear a tuxedo. Some men do choose to wear them and I guarantee you, there will be other men in tuxes, but as mentioned, most do wear a dark suit.

Have fun!!

Dude, forget the TUX and the suit too if you want to. This is such an unimportant issue when you are on the ship.

Dress like you would for a nice dinner with the in-laws or your grand-parents.

I haven't even taken a tie on the last 11 RCL cruises and we enjoyed the cruises even more once we figured that out.

In past cruises, I had worn a suit to formal nights -- in fact, when we cruised to Canada and New England on the Spirit from October 28 to November 3, I wore slacks and a sport jacket on the one formal night.

In September, we had cruised to Alaska on the Radiance. Prior to the cruise, we were in Alaska on a land tour, and dress was casual any time. I did not want to lug a suit around for almost 2 two weeks before our cruise began, so I rented a tux and an extra shirt (it came with two shirts and I rented one more as we had three formal nights) -- the total came to $104 I looked good and there was less to carry to and from home on the plane. Even if the passenger age was younger than it was, I would not have regretted the decision.

:)

I'm a first time cruiser out on Liberty this Saturday:D . I'm 27, English and fancy trying my hand at being James Bond for the night so it's a tux for me..........and what everyone else does is of little importance to me.

My new wife is keen on having some nice formal photographs taken, I wear one for formal nights at work and feel good in one.

It's your cruise, why not go the extra mile and make it special by dressing up for it?

Whatever you decide have a great trip.

James Bond.

England.

:cool:

On the cruises I have been on (7 and 9 night) at least 50% of the men were wearing tuxedos at late seating- you will definitely NOT be alone!

Scenario description so you understand: You're in the doctor's office wearing a red shirt. You drove there by yourself. Upon arrival, you notice everyone in the waiting room is wearing a red shirt. You are NOT alone wearing a red shirt, but still, YOU ARE ALONE. Semantics can allude you sometimes eh? Hope this clarifies.

The OP really doesn't have divulge anymore information really, all the bases have been covered.

Let me tell you. I've been going over this for 3 weeks now. I am 36 so the age thing wasn't an issue with me. It was more of having to carry more clothes. In the end I bought a suit. JCPenny has a sale on now. I got a suit, 2 shirts, and 2 ties for under $250.00. I figured I would have more chances to wear the suit. No need to toss a $100.00 bucks out the window and have nothing in return. I'll wear the same suit 3 nights on the ship: 2 Formal nights, and once to Chops. I would suck it up. However, should you rent a tux you will not be out of place at all. Well unless it is powder blue or pink. It all ends up on the floor at the end of the night anyway...

Archived