Tuxedo? Yes or no?

Scenario description so you understand: You're in the doctor's office wearing a red shirt. You drove there by yourself. Upon arrival, you notice everyone in the waiting room is wearing a red shirt. You are NOT alone wearing a red shirt, but still, YOU ARE ALONE. Semantics can allude you sometimes eh? Hope this clarifies.

The OP really doesn't have divulge anymore information really, all the bases have been covered.

I guess this is some kind of self-confidence/conformity issue? Like you can't be a party of one or the only one in your party wearing a tux?

When you're on a ship with a few thousand total strangers you can pretty much get away with whatever you want.

I chose to rent a tux on my first two cruises and finally shelled out a small amount for a microfiber Tux. It was less than $100 and wears and packs well. I've since worn the tux on multiple occasions, to the point wear I am down to it costing me less than $5 a wear... :D

I love the Tux feeling... when you feel good you looook good.... when you look good you feel good.. you see....

But, go with what would make you feel good and it looks like that choice for you was a suit and you will loooook mahvelous!

My husband brings a white shirt, two ties, and a dark suit for the two formal nights. He'd rather carry the items (we put the suit in a hefty bag and fold it on the top of one of our suitcases - it never gets smashed or wrinkled, and we don't need a garment bag for it) and put the $100 that he would have spent on a tux towards something else.

My husband brings a white shirt, two ties, and a dark suit for the two formal nights. He'd rather carry the items (we put the suit in a hefty bag and fold it on the top of one of our suitcases - it never gets smashed or wrinkled, and we don't need a garment bag for it) and put the $100 that he would have spent on a tux towards something else.

I may have to try this. I can't stand carrying a garmet bag. Not to mention it will be full of dresses from my two daughters and wife...

I guess this is some kind of self-confidence/conformity issue? Like you can't be a party of one or the only one in your party wearing a tux?

When you're on a ship with a few thousand total strangers you can pretty much get away with whatever you want.

True, you CAN do whatever you want. But if you're trying to meet a stranger, being WAY TOO overdressed makes a person look and act awkward.

I don't think that is the situation, but unless the OP has a partner that wants them in a tux, I'd side on the easier to pack/don't spend money on a rental scenario if OP wants to do the formal thing. There's a myriad of reasons why that's for the best.

Ok experts. Do you think a dark grey, not black, custom suit is ok for a formal night, christmas cruise? Most of the men in the family will be in tuxes.

It will be fine as far as the RCI dress code goes, in fact, it sounds great. But IMHO it'll look funny in any group photos if everybody else is in a tux.

you can buy a tux in sears at the tux shop, i got a 400.00 tux for 99.00$,i am going to be going on more cruises so i paid for it in one cruise, or you can rent one for 99.00 like zz top says" every girls crazy for a sharp dress man:));)

The way you feel is more important than what you're dressed in. And no, I don't intend to give the impression that an AC/DC shirt flapping over Rolling Stone board shorts will work.

If you feel awkward in a tux, you will look awkward. If you feel shabby in a suit, you will...well, same thing.

"Whatever you focus on will grow", whether you've just noticed that everybody is driving the exact same style and color of car you just bought, or how you think others perceive you.

So...wear a nice suit or a nice tux, and feel damn good about it. You're dining in a magnificent environment with wonderful people. Savour every moment.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

PS...as for me I pack my best suit and use the tux money for snorkeling with DD. One day I'll just buy a decent tux 'cause they're actually quite affordable compared to a bespoke suit.

I may have to try this. I can't stand carrying a garmet bag. Not to mention it will be full of dresses from my two daughters and wife...

I pack the dresses the same way, either in large trash bags, or in the plastic bags that come from the dry cleaner. Then I drape them over the top of one of our suitcases. No garment bags for us, and no wrinkled formal wear either!

On Caribbean and Alaska cruises, I've seen maybe 10% in tuxes, most in suits or dark sport coats and whatever pants. In Europe, more like 50%--probably due to an older crowd and lots of Brits. Schlepping either one was a pain until finding Travelsmith and Magellan's--suits you can practically roll into a ball and still be OK--great stuff.

Les

Dress how you feel comfortable. If you don't want to waste the money on a tux, dress as if you're going to an evening wedding. My husband always looks great in a dark suite, white shirt and nice tie.

You don't even have to do the formal night unless you really want to. It's fun and we've done it on all the cruises we've taken but most of our group going on the next cruise has opted out of them. We dress all week for work, we're on vacation and want to chill out and have fun.

You're on vacation...have fun! :)

We sail the 3 night cruises on Monarch quite frequently, and tuxes are few and far between. But DH is always in his (he owns it because he plays in a Big Band) and it doesn't bother him in the least that he's in the distinct minority. With age comes confidence, even if maturity eludes us.:D

• 1 month later...
I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

I see you are going to the Caribbean. My boyfriend just wears a nice jacket and dockers with a dress shirt & tie like the majority of people your age on the ship will be wearing. Thats dressy for us :p I usually take dress pants and a fancy shirt. Do NOT overpack..You WILL be sorry you didn't leave room in your suitcase to bring back those souvenoirs

I am not interested in packing a suit for the cruise - my other option I guess is to rent a tuxedo for formal night. I am young - 26 and don't want to look stupid and be the only one in a tuxedo. Is this worth it? Should I just suck it up and pack a suit? Help!

I have a tux and I like bringing it. It's elegant and it's all part of our cruise experience. It's just as easy to pack as a suit and once you've bought one, your costs are $0.

Is it necessary? of course not. I would say on formal night, perhaps 1/3 to 1/4 of the men wear them.

Glad to read your advice. I actually just got a "save the date brochure," indicating "black tie preferred." To be honest, I'm so ready to go buy myself a tux. It's something nice to have for the next few years, especially as I'm attending quite a few weddings this year. Also, I've found quite a few that look nice and modern on the men's wearhouse website. Especially one with a nice light blue vest and regular tie, no bow tie.

How do you pack a tux so it doesn't wrinkle?

I have always worn a tux. But I did it for one reason. It made me feel dressed up. I had a job where I put a suit on each day. A suit, even a dark suit, would not feel formal. A tux made me feel special. My wife liked it also. What I am getting at is; what's going to make you feel dressed up and special. Look at the tuxes that cruiselineformal.com has to offer. If you see something that fits your style, great. Otherwise, do something else. The only advantage of renting a tux is less packing, but you may still need something for after hours and smart casual nights. Good Sailing, Murf.

Glad to read your advice. I actually just got a "save the date brochure," indicating "black tie preferred." To be honest, I'm so ready to go buy myself a tux. It's something nice to have for the next few years, especially as I'm attending quite a few weddings this year. Also, I've found quite a few that look nice and modern on the men's wearhouse website. Especially one with a nice light blue vest and regular tie, no bow tie.

How do you pack a tux so it doesn't wrinkle?

We use a garment bag. We've never had a problem.

The vests really are quite nice. My husband has a set in silver as well as a regular studded tux shirt with a bow tie. He alternates them on formal night for a different look. After all, why should us women get to wear something different every night while men wear the same thing? :D

Archived