Big Red Boat

Lawrence22

The Big Red Boat was our first cruise just like many others have posted.

It was our last big family vacation before our boys were teenagers.

They loved it, we were hooked on cruising the minute I set eyes on the ship!

We sailed her in 1987 our package included the air fare, 4 day cruise, hotel near WDW, passes to WDW and a rental car. All that was a whopping $2100 for all four of us!

I can't believe you remember so clearly - even how much you spent. The Big Red Boat was our first cruise with our children - at the time 5 and 8 (now 19 and 23) and to this day we laugh about our "Little Red Tug" trip. We all very clearly remember pulling into port between a Carnival Ship and some other one and looking UP at all the decks above us. Having said that - it was our first cruise as a family and a "boat-load" of memories.

As you can see from my signature, we sailed BRB 3 times. It was our first cruise and our kid's first cruise.

I still have a promotional video that was mailed to us back in 1990 or so and watch it with my now 19 and 20 year old. It will draw a tear thinking about how much fun we had with those little kiddos. They loved getting to see Mickey and all their favorite Disney characters live and in person.

My parents and Aunt and Uncle were on one of or possibly the last trip one of the Big Red Boats made. I believe that it was a Canada/New England trip and the ship lost power. I think that they had to get off in Boston, (although I could be mistaken) even though the ship sailed from New York. It was on the news, and people were screaming!! I really wish that I remember the story better, because I am probably leaving something out. The line was bankrupt at that point, and it was a crappy cruise. Actually, I think that it was my father's last cruise.:(

My aunt and uncle, however, are sailing on the Explorer in August and it will be their first time with RCI.

I may be mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong, but while all the ships mentioned were Premier ships, I believe that the Oceanic was the first "Big Red Boat" or at least the first called by that name. I remember taking a tour of her when she first arrived at Port Canaveral...still had the newly painted smell. My father (who was a police officer at the time) worked a Spring Break cruise on the Oceanic so we got a free cruise that summer on the S/S Royale. I loved that ship! She's the one that got me hooked! Once you've sailed on a quality small ship, its hard to get used to the large ones. I know the quality of the line went downhill, but I will never forget how wonderful that cruise was or how generous and kind her staff was!

• 6 years later...

The Big Red Boat was our first cruise experience and we loved it. At the time we had a 5 year old and an 8 month old. Our 5 year loved the kids' camp and didn't want to leave when we pulled him out to join us for dinner. The gentle rocking of the ship kept our baby asleep ALL night! Our waiter always had a card trick to show our 5 year old. Can't remember much about the food but we do remember just how much fun we had. We have a great picture of our boys with Tweety Bird. We miss that little ship!

I came into the travel biz at the end of Premier's lifespan. We were not allowed to book them because of the instability of the company. Guests would come back with truly sad stories of maintenance problems and other signs of a company on the edge.

I remember the morning it was over for them. CNN on the pier interviewing guests arriving and the ships now bank-owned forclosures. That was a very sad day in my former industry

I have enjoyed all the good reviews of those ships in better times. I'm happy they were able to bring so many smiles to people.

My first cruise as well was as a kid on the oceanic in 1991. Went on majestic in 1994.

Remember thinking that the ship was enormous. The service back then was soo different then now. When you boarded they walked you to your cabin. Then cabin steward knew you by your first name before you boarded. Even a lower end line like Premier "big red boat" was top notch. I do remember a basic oceanview even had a bathtub. As a kid didn't realize bathtubs weren't common on cruise ships.

They had Disney characters back the as Disney did not have a cruise line yet.

In 1994 went on the majestic and at that point the ships were in desperate need of updating, complained about our ocenview as it was just jn nightmare of condition and upgraded us to a suite which really was not that much better.

Our first cruise was on the "Oceanic" which was owned by the Home line. It was our first cruise out of NYC some 30+ years ago. It was the first ship designed to cruise. A beautiful ship with an all Italian crew, macrodome roof over the pool, cabins were quite large, and the food was absolutely fantastic. Even offered table side cooking by the Maitre D. It cost us approximately $125per on a 7 day cruise out of NYC--What a view of the skyline when leaving.

The ship has history and was the Big Red Boat that sailed in conjunction with "Disney". Sailed on it with a combo of 4 nite Bahamas cruise and 3 nites in Disneyworld. By accident, we saw this ship on our first Med. cruise ten years ago when it was docked in Villefrance's (France) harbor. It was recognizable by it's unique silhouette and funnel. It brought tears to our eyes.

The big red boat was also our family's first cruise in March of 1991 for my oldest sons 2nd birthday. We just celebrated his 25 th birthday this week! It was a wonderful week we did a 3 day cruise and 4 day disney. We did the shorter cruise longer disney because we did not know if we would like cruising. Now 60+ cruises later I think we liked it.

I went on the Oceanic for my Honeymoom in 1986. It was our first cruise I remember the crew saying it was the longest cruise ship on the seas. Now it looks like a dingy...lol You had to step over all the doorways.. I remember the midnight buffet being amazing. There was a sculpture of Micky Mouse made out butter and a lot of beautiful displays of food.

In September of 2000, we were sailing on a Celebrity ship from NY to Bermuda, leaving at the dock next to us was the Big Red boat.

When we returned to NY at the end of the cruise, we were informed that the Big Red Boat was seized by the bank, and the passengers were flown home from Freeport, Bahama.

Edited by Mac303

Our first cruise together was on the SS Oceanic. Loved it, hooked my husband. The food was FANTASTIC - Italian. Had a little table for 2 in a corner next to an older couple that sailed that itinerary year. They thought we were newlyweds and sent us a bottle of wine. It seemed so big at the time! I think I do remember it became the Big Red Boat.