a handful of questions from a first timer cruiser

hoophome

If you are looking for a very inspiring event in San Diego almost every Friday morning on the Marine MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) base next to the SD airport the Marines graduate 300-500 new Marines. The graduation event is open to the public and begins about 9am and is over by 1130am.

We went two years ago to a nephew's graduation and it is a event no one will ever forget. Hearing the Marine band perform and seeing 500 new Marines step out onto the Parade deck to the Marine Corps Hymn is a sight that will raise goose bumps on all.

Funny you mention that. My dh graduated Marine Boot Camp Paris Island (SC) 10 years ago. Was there for that graduation and it did bring chills. That is how we ended up near the Marine Depot. We were stationed in Camp Pendleton largest marine corps base on the west coast. That is the best sight you will ever see.

oooo raaaaaa

We stayed in the Manchester Hyatt and in addition to what I suggested on page 1, we walked through Seaport Village (doesnt' take very long), took a dinner cruise on Hornblower our first night and were aboard the USS Midway one evening for a private event. The Midway is open during the day as a museum. The restaurant we ate at in Old Town was Casa Guadalajara. Food was good (so were the margarita's) and they had strolling musicians.

On Coronado we ate at the Del (Del Coronado hotel) and had a $16 hamburger. It's a beautiful location and they were setting up for a wedding (it was a Saturday). Nice place to walk along the beach. We took a taxi from the water taxi pier area and back although you could walk it if you want to. It's not a short walk, but it's doable.

Regarding Passports - of course you take your passport with you. That is the point of having a passport. Why would you be more worried about losing your passport than your driver's license or credit cards or cash? If you have a copy of your passport that will help you get a new passport but you have to wait for that. A copy is not a passport. Just take it with you and that is the best ID you can have.

As far as what docs to take with you in port...Only thing we have ever had checked was our sail and sign card. But we always carry DL, passport, S&S card and a credit card(even in Mexico). I just feel like if I miss the ship:eek: , I will have everything I need to get to the next port or home. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

oh, when I mentioned TSA above (didn't mean to cause a stir...:confused: ), but what I meant was there are sites on TSA where they have supplies for travel, packing,etc...for travelers to order. Then there is less problems at the airports because all the stuff is packed correctly, and safely (bursting bottles...whether they are booze or even shampoo/conditioners/lotions) I pack each bottle in a separate ziplock because of my lotion all over everything in a large ziplock last cruise...thank goodness I had them in a ziplock or I would have had to have all my stuff cleaned...:eek: .

They also have a nice spa basket for about $80 you can order from the ship bonvoyage gifts and it is in your cabin on embarkation (haven't ordered it, but really want to.....could be worth it.

You make valid points. I have groups of items that I keep in ziplocs. I actually store stuff this way andit helps me to keep inventory and pack for the next vacation. On each ziploc bag I have written in Sharpie what items are in the bags so I can quickly see what is needed and what I have plenty of. I keep them sortedout so certain items don't get leaked on or don't leak on other items. I pretty much keep it packed this way year round so I am always ready for even those quick weekend getaways. It has also helped me when I run out of thecommon cold stuff or Motrin... heck... even razor blades!!! :)

As far as what docs to take with you in port...Only thing we have ever had checked was our sail and sign card. But we always carry DL, passport, S&S card and a credit card(even in Mexico). I just feel like if I miss the ship:eek: , I will have everything I need to get to the next port or home. Hope you have a great cruise!!!

The Mexican authorities checked both our cruise cards and id when we boarded in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. In Cabo, Princess crew did. In Mazatlan, there are heavily armed police at the port because the ships share the port with cargo ships. Anyway, always take your cruise card and either a DL or passport.

Archived