Century has Norovirus!!!

E201

We've just returned from a wonderful cruise on Mercury 3 x b2b from Ensenada to Sydney (42 days). On the first leg sadly, the ship was a 'Norovirus' ship. The crew were wiping down everywhere and were serving at the buffet, even serving from the coffee machines. The crew handed everyone antibactarial wipes everytime you went into the Manhatten Dining room or the Palm Springs buffet or were reboarding the ship at port. Would you believe people were arguing with the crew because they didn't want to use them. We even saw people dodging around the back of other guests so as to try and sneek past without having to use them. They would say 'we've just come up from our stateroom', seemingly to forget that they've just touched the handrail or pushed the elevator buttons on the way! What's with these idiots!!!

I think it's time people picked up their hygiene standards and accepted that it's OK to be told to do something by the crew. Some peoples ego's are such that they only like to tell the crew what to do and can't handle being told what to do by the crew.

Fortunately, the six of us travelling together did not contract the virus, maybe that's because we have good hygiene standards and were aware of not putting our hands anywhere near our mouths or eyes, and washing our hands everytime we returned to our stateroom, and, of course, always using the wipes. We always carry the antibactarial wipes with us at all times when going ashore.

Thanks to the crew for doing such a great job with their continuous wiping down, by the time we began the second leg of the cruise in Honolulu the outbreak was over and it didn't return for the rest of the cruise.

Now it's time to start planning our next cruise.

Jillybean:)

I would believe that people would be arguing with the crew because many people including myself will not use these wipes. The Medical community is divided as to whether these wipes do any good and if fact, many say they may be detrimental. The best bet is to wash your hands as much as possible but don't condemn somone because they refuse to use the wipes.

I use bleach in my laundry, on my floors, and in my bathrooms and ktichen. I used alcohol on my pierced ears and on my kids umbilical cords to fight infection.

I have to reasearch the two to find out what's what since they both seem to do the job. ;)

Bleach disinfects (I ran a daycare out of my home, and to prevent GI Viruses I had to bleach all surfaces, and toys each day.) Alcohol is used for healing, as it tends to "dry out" wounds...such as pierced ears and umbilical cords. By drying out the wounds, it aids in healing.

Now, as far as the wipes.....its just my opinion that the wipes are "better than nothing"...not because of what's on them, but at least if it's used for 15 or 20 seconds, just the "friction" will remove some germs with it. I don't see a lot of use in the gels, unless there are no other hand washing options.

I was on the Grandeur of the Seas the week after Thanksgiving for the repositioning cruise...13 days. The first week we had a MAJOR outbreak. We left on a Sunday night, and by Thursday Night, there were so many people trying to get into the Medical Infirmiry, that people were told to bring a pillow and blanket to be comfortable while waiting. According to one lady who had to take her husband...people were lying on the floor!! People were being quarantined. Two days before this though, they started running non stop on one of the channels, the ship's doctor saying how best to prevent becoming ill, video of the ship's crew cleaning the ship and what was being used, and interviews with the CDC. We were given the wipes to use at the entrance to any eating areas, and each time we got back on the ship. By the second week of the cruise no one was hearing of anyone else being sick....and the wipes and cleaning procedures were still ongoing. By the end of the cruise, some people were avoiding the wipes, but it was because as one woman said....her hands were beginning to feel raw from using them, because they were drying them out too much....which is a MAJOR problem from overuse.

According to the video we got to watch...WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS!! And on your way to eat...avoid handrails if possible, and use your knuckle instead of fingertips to push the elevator button. And for dry hands....bring some lotion you like to use!!

But remember...you have a better chance of getting a Gastro Intestinal Illness at the mall, than you do on a cruise shio. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE, and take normal precations to stay well!!!

Take care,

Jaime

Archived