Century has Norovirus!!!

E201

We are currently on Century and docked in Rome.

An announcement was made last night and letters given to all staterooms to advise some passangers have Norovirus.

We don't believe that many have been infected but cleaning has gone from non exsistent on day one e.g. no alcohol gel on embarkation, in the restaurants, at the buffet etc to all of these, as a must and staff in masks cleaning all hand rails, door handles etc.

If only they had been doing this since day one!

Luckily we bought along on our own gel and are using it all the time - hopefully we will stay clear - only time will tell.

If you are on your way to Century make sure you bring along some gel/wipes to be extra safe.

Apart from that, everything is great!

PS We are flying a small red flag under the bow - perhaps someone can let us know what it means - I understand it is to warn other ships etc????

Isn't it a shame that it takes a breakout for the extra cleaning etc. to commence. I wonder if they did this on a regular basis how many passengers would not have to get that dreaded disease? DH & I had it on the Millie so know first hand what it is! Hope you stay norvo free & enjoy your cruise.

PS We are flying a small red flag under the bow - perhaps someone can let us know what it means - I understand it is to warn other ships etc????

The small flag under the bow is to warn small craft that the "bulbous bow" (the part of the bow that extends, almost like a nose, under the water line) is present so they don't hit it.

What a shame - I hope it doesn't ruin your vcation.

I thought that all of the cruise ships now had stands with the alcohol in the entry way to every restaurant? Or is that just on some cruise lines?

No they are not required and with all due respect to everyone who will flame me, the jury is still out as to whether these stations and precautions are good or bad. There is very significent evidence that these precautions may actually have a negative effect on your health. Also, they are bacterial in nature and the norovirus is just that a virus. Over forty million Americans had Noro last year and less than five thousand had it on cruise ships. Wash your hands and keep clean is the best thing to do.

I'm sorry to hear about the current conditions, however it is usually poor hygenic practices that causes this.

As for the wipes and gels, they are not effective against the noro virus, which BTW isn't a disease.

The only real defense is to wash your hands frequently with hot soapy water, or kill it with bleach.

So if there is an outbreak it is one of two things. Either a discourteous or unknowing passenger that doesn't take health issues seriously...OR...a number of passengers that feel they don't have to wash their hands frequently. Its not going to help if you take a bath in purel....it won't kill the virus plain and simple. EVERY cabin has a bathroom with a sink and soap to go with it....please use them and take this health issue seriously.

And for gods sake, don't blame the ship or the cruise line. 9/10 times its a passenger and not the crew.

Dave:eek: ( survivior of one of the worse NORO sailings)

We're about to embark on a transatlantic voyage and I have to agree with Don and Dave. Washing your hands regularly with hot soapy water is your best defense. I've been on a ship where they were doing heavy cleaning with bleach. Trust me, this is not the way you really want to regularly sail on a ship. The smell is awful, bleach ruins clothing, etc. We need to take responsibility for good hygiene as a primary defense against noro. I can't believe how many people I see use the restroom and then walk out without washing their hands.

The other issue is those who are ill and refuse to see the doctor and stay in their cabins away from others. I believe it's people that make a bad situation like noro worse....not the ship or the cruise line.

Just my thoughts.....

Anne,

I will be sailing with you on the TA from Barcelona. It is never good news to hear that a ship and passengers have been afflicted with the dreaded Norovirus. If Celebrity follows protocol as most lines, the ship will be sanatized before we board, so we will at least have the chance of a clean start.

I plan as always to be diligent with the handwashing and hope that fellow crew and passengers will be also.

Look forward to meeting you and other CC's aboard.

Valerie

I agree about the hand sanitizers as well.

They might give a warm fuzzy feeling about hygiene but in reality fewer people are washing after restroom breaks (Time Magazine dated Dec. 3).

Don't shake hands, don't touch anything you don't have to except for safety reasons. We have survived 4 "bleach" cruises so far but the problem is a virus, not a bacteria.

Good luck to all those sailing Transatlantics shortly.. I just could not convince my DW that I could pick up a real steal of a deal...

Both of us are still recovering from a cold/bronchial virus we picked up on Constellation two weeks ago.... all the hand sanitizing during the voyage just gave us dried hands..:(

Anne,

We too will be cruising with you. I agree, gels dry your hands and that's all. Maybe the 'young uns' have it right by just 'bumping' knuckles.

Bob's going to the doctor tomorrow and will tell him what we might be entering and to give us plenty of antibiotics.

See you on the aft deck!

What a shame - I hope it doesn't ruin your vcation.

I thought that all of the cruise ships now had stands with the alcohol in the entry way to every restaurant? Or is that just on some cruise lines?

After 7 or so cruises on X or RCI (Century is my favorite ship, have sailed her twice), my Nov 1st cruise was the first cruise where there were no hand sanitizers anywhere. I asked about this on the RCI thread, and a CC member said it was because of the scare about kids injesting it! Well, they can injest it after an outbreak just as easily as before one if they have negligent parents! What is up with this? Another cost saving measure? Bring it out after there is an outbreak?

Sorry, OP, hope you stay well.

Keep It Simple Stupid........anybody else remember that?

Heres an interesting article I just ran across, and while it doesn't address NORO directly I hope most will get the picture....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071128/hl_nm/virus_prevention_washing_dc

BTW: as for the alcohol in the hand sanitizer, I wouldn't put it past kids these days. They huff, sniff magic markers, drink vanilla extract, and steal perscription meds from their parents....and those are the GOOD kids. So a little drinking of the purell wouldn't shock me, nor would I think it was a lie by the cruise lines.

Dave:eek:

I am sorry to hear that news! Hope you stay healthy for the duration of your journey!

Noro is not fun. We actually had it this summer - caught it in Yellowstone at the Old Faithful Inn.

Well I suppose it could have been anywhere in Yellowstone but that is where we spent most of our time and the doctor said they get it quite a bit there. Lots of people in a crowded spot sharing the germs! I was wondering if it is one of those bugs you can get over and over again or if your body develops some resistance to it?

Valerie, Lynne and Bob ... sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm not on Century with you :( . We're sailing on Brilliance of the Seas this Saturday out of Barcelona - we just got off the plane ... it's so good to be here. I hope you all stay well and have a fantastic crossing. I just wanted to remind everyone that it isn't the ship that makes people sick and has noro....it's people that have it and pass it onto others that spreads the problem. Be cautious, wash your hands, and have a fabulous cruise....we'll be thinking about you!

Bikinibottom said:

I was wondering if it is one of those bugs you can get over and over again or if your body develops some resistance to it?

Here's a link to a good fact sheet from CDC about norovirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

Unfortunately immunity is limited and short-term. The fact sheet has some reasons why.

Bikinibottom said:

Here's a link to a good fact sheet from CDC about norovirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

Unfortunately immunity is limited and short-term. The fact sheet has some reasons why.

WOW, and in this case, forewarned is hardly forearmed -to quote the CDC article:

Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of blood group O being at greatest risk for severe infection.

Like the majority, I'm "O", which now looks like a "bull's eye" for that pesky virus.:eek: Now we may need a "FRIEND'S OF 'O' " support group. ;)

At the meeting we would observe the hospitality of just nudging elbows in greeting instead of the hostility of shaking hands.

Just remember that antibiotics are useless against viruses unless you've picked up a secondary bacterial infection. Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands and use sanitizer between times. Remember that holding handrails or door handles infects your hands with any 'bugs' from the hands of others who have not 'washed hands' recently.

Some additional ways to lessen (not obviate!) your chances of picking up the virus...

- lean on handrails rather than hold onto them when walking up/down stairs

- use your knuckle rather than the tip of your finger to hit the elevator button

- use a paper towel to turn the handle on the door when exiting public restrooms

- use hand sanitizer AFTER you've used the serving utentils at the buffet and BEFORE you eat

- avoid shaking hands

- avoid using pens/pencils others regularly use

- use hand sanitizer after you've used the computer keyboard

- wash your hands vigorously with warm, soapy water and wash them often

Like the majority, I'm "O", which now looks like a "bull's eye" for that pesky virus.:eek: Now we may need a "FRIEND'S OF 'O' " support group. ;)

At the meeting we would observe the hospitality of just nudging elbows in greeting instead of the hostility of shaking hands.

Even better, everybody has their own set spot in the room and you just wave at each other from across the room!:p

Archived