Post Cards from the ship???????????

QTPieRye

I know you can get post cards from the Purser's Desk on ship, but I was wondering if you can arrange to have them sent also? Do they just send them from the port upon arrival? If so, is it best to take them yourself to the post office at your first port? How long does mail take to arrive states from Jamaica? I hoped to have postcards arrive before I returned.

You can pruchase the exact stamps for the port your mailing in and mail them from the pursers desk the morning your in port. They have a service that they take them off the ship to the post office. We went to a few ports so I can't remember which one but say one was $2.00 in our money and the next port was about $.50 to mail. I know some like the stamps and cancel stamp with the port they are in but there was a huge difference in mailing.

There is an "outgoing mail" slot at the Purser's Desk. Mail will be sent from the next port of call. Make sure you have the appropriate country's postage affixed. Local stamps are available at the Purser's Desk.

Sounds like I'll be saving my money and not bothering sending the post cards from port!!!!!!

So now I'm at Plan B, which is try to buy some Conquest post cards in Port of New Orleans Saturday and then mail them Sunday morning. Anybody tried this???

I always like postcards that have a more personal touch, and thus send my postcards that way too. So instead of 'Going on my cruise. See you in a week.', I send messages like 'Sitting here on the beach, with my toes in the sand and drinking something cold and colorful. The water is ... etc.' and then the 'Wish you were here.' or whatever.

That said, if you want them to go out while you're away QT, then the Sunday thing sounds good. Otherwise, personalize them and let them arrive when they do.

We take enough pre-printed labels and stamps for each person we want to send a postcard from each port. Depending on the stop, we purchase the postcards aboard the ship or in port, but the mail from the purser gets off the ship about as quickly as we do. So, either mail them before leaving the ship or at the post office in the port. Even though they arrive well after you return home, you've told your friends/family what you were doing in port and they love it!

QTPie, the terminal bldg. at the port (N.O.) doesn't have any vendors selling anything. Riverwalk would be your closest place to buy post cards, but I feel pretty certain all you'll find is N.O. cards - none with the ships on them. I've never seen any ship's cards - except on the ships.;)

If I know I'm going to mail postcards, I always take a few stamps with us, plus instead of writing down addresses, I type them on labels on the computer. Then I just peel them off and I'm done. So far, we've never had a card beat us back yet. I think it was on the Victory that the mailbox looked just like a mini version of the whaletale.

Archived