Dec. 26, 2007 Barbados - What's open?

BeadBabe

We are coming in on NCL's Jewel on December 26th. There will be 3 other ships in port this day.

I've heard that "Boxing Day" December 26th is a pretty big holiday and many stores/places will be closed. Could this be possible with 4 cruise ships full of people in port?

Who knows what? Whose been there? What's the scoop?

We are coming in on NCL's Jewel on December 26th. There will be 3 other ships in port this day.

I've heard that "Boxing Day" December 26th is a pretty big holiday and many stores/places will be closed.

Could this be possible with 4 cruise ships full of people in port?

Who knows what? Who's been there? What's the scoop?

I'm no expert on the commercial sector in Bridgetown

but I can't see them allowing 4 cruise-ships to escape without extracting some kinda trade from you guys. :)

My best bet is that some stores will be open, if only half day,

maybe 9 or 9:30 a.m. til 1 or 2 p.m.

with CAVE SHEPHERD department store being at the forefront of any commercial activity, as usual.

If Cave Shephered isn't open, it's unlikely the others will be

but like I said... 4 ships is several thousand visitors so think positively! :)

Watersports and taxis will be around, even if Bridgetown shopping is limited, I'm pretty sure of that!

I'm no expert on the commercial sector in Bridgetown

but I can't see them allowing 4 cruise-ships to escape without extracting some kinda trade from you guys. :)

My best bet is that some stores will be open, if only half day,

maybe 9 or 9:30 a.m. til 1 or 2 p.m.

with CAVE SHEPHERD department store being at the forefront of any commercial activity, as usual.

quote]

Thanks for the tip! I went to their website and sent an email to inquire!

Most of the shops will be open, but may have "light" staff...so expect things to take longer than normal.

Many attractions are closed - things like eco tours, snorkeling, etc.....it all depends upon the operator, as many are privatly owned.

As for day sails - some are, some are not.....

Of course, you can't close a beach! :)

Yea I'm betting they won't all be closed or even closed all day. Four ships in port?? Bridgetown depends on tourism.

Anyway, I think we'll take the meander approach and grab one of those festive colored open sided jitney's and see what's around.

IDJ...see you on the ship!

:) All weather permitting, and so on, Michael will definitely be by Folkestone Marine Park with his glass bottom boat either by Coral Reef Hotel or Settlers Beach doing turtle trips. On this day you might even enjoy some of the festivites with himself and crew at a picnic in the park.

Enjoy. Last time I even went to the St James Parish Church for a scenic tour.

Just dont let the taxi guys carry you anywhere else, just insist you are going to Folkestone Marine Park, what you do there is none of their business. Dont even listen to them that nothing is opened or happening there!

You will enjoy as much as my family and I did.

Yea I'm betting they won't all be closed or even closed all day. Four ships in port?? Bridgetown depends on tourism.

Anyway, I think we'll take the meander approach and grab one of those festive colored open sided jitney's and see what's around.

IDJ...see you on the ship!

Yes while we do rely on tourism, not everything will be open. It's up to the owners of establishments to decide if they want the business or not.

Re open sided jitney's... I don't think we have those in Barbados.. last time I checked we didn't. Route Taxi's, Mini-Buses and Govt transport board business will run, but likely on a limited schedule. Bajans take their "Bank Holiday's" very seriously.

Yes while we do rely on tourism, not everything will be open. It's up to the owners of establishments to decide if they want the business or not.

Re open sided jitney's... I don't think we have those in Barbados.. last time I checked we didn't. Route Taxi's, Mini-Buses and Govt transport board business will run, but likely on a limited schedule. Bajans take their "Bank Holiday's" very seriously.

Sun...thank you so much. I think I'll just plan to get off the ship and "wing it" then. Perhaps wander to Bridgetown and just see what might be open. Do you have any specific suggestions for that day given it's "Boxing Day"? :D

Yes while we do rely on tourism, not everything will be open.

It's up to the owners of establishments to decide if they want the business or not.

===> OMG! ..you mean they have a life,too?? :eek:

Re open sided jitney's... I don't think we have those in Barbados.. last time I checked we didn't.

Route Taxi's, Mini-Buses and Govt transport board business will run, but likely on a limited schedule.

Bajans take their "Bank Holiday's" very seriously.

Hi,Sarah!

Jennie and I are enjoying Trinidad for 11 days: back on Wed. 5th.

Send money! The Malls are running her out of ca$h!

Glad you got around to those mythical festive colored "open-sided jitney's".

I picked up on that some time ago, but thought maybe it was just me..

- I think maybe this person is mixing up their destinations?? :)

Yes, maybe you should take a quick wander-around Bridgetown to see what open,

and then I reckon your best bet may be to head for Accra Beach on the South Coast

- or a West Coach beach somewhere

because Beach activities/watersports like jet-skiing are more likely to be 'as normal'

than the commercial stuff.

Glad you got around to those mythical festive colored "open-sided jitney's".

I picked up on that some time ago, but thought maybe it was just me..

- I think maybe this person is mixing up their destinations?? :).

Ok ok...so I got confused! I'm nearly blind from reading all these posts!! HA HA HA

Thanks for the information...I've read much on Bridgetown and would just really enjoy checking things out. I didn't want to presume people would be open, giving the "seriousness" of these holidays.

Perhaps I should try a local tour company that may have specifics.

Hope your trips are magical!

• 6 months later...

This is a long overdue post, but perhaps someone might look for it in a thread. The island shuts up tight on christmas and the day after. So plan to hire a car and driver and explore! We still had a fantastic time!

This is a long overdue post, but perhaps someone might look for it in a thread.

The island shuts up tight on Christmas and the day after.

So plan to hire a car and driver and explore!

We still had a fantastic time!

I suspect most of the Caribbean islands are like this for Xmas and Boxing Day - shut tight

although I was kinda hoping, for ya!

Now we know! :)

Water sports activities usually run as do most attractions. The big days that Everything Closes is Christmas day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Most stores will be closed, Hotel gift shops I know open half day.

Hey Sarah

It was closed up tight like Fort Knox! All the rum factories were closed, as was down town. The only places we found open were odd shops here and there. But, we had hired a driver for a day so had a fabulous time exploring none the less!

I was on the Maasdam last April. We were in Barbados Easter Monday. There was very little open that day. Even right outside the port area,very little was open. I did a tour with a private guide and returned back to the ship. Others who went out on their own stated that very little was open.

I like to cruise, but I really prefer sea days on holidays and also the day before and after.

Archived