Misty Fiords

superbonnie

We are thinking of doing a flight over Misty Fiords, but the thought of such a tiny plane scares me. Would love to hear from anyone that has done the trip. We would go with Island Wings if I can muster up the courage.

We used the 2 for 1 coupon with Southeast Aviation and it was great. Landed on a beautiful lake in the mountains for about 15 minutes. Easy take offs and landings and not a bumpy flight at all. Overall less stressful then a small commuter plane. Highly recommended!

My hubby and I just returned from Summit's 6/11 southbound cruise. We flew with Michelle of Island Wings (www.islandwings.com). No one is more nervous about small planes that I am! My husband was shocked when I told him I had actually booked this tour. But let me tell you, this is a trip not to be missed. Michelle is an outstanding pilot, the plane is comfortable, and Michelle's take-offs and landings are sooooo smooth that you hardly felt the plane go up or down (and this included the lake landing). Michelle actually taxis up to the shoreline and you are able to get out of the plane and spend time taking in all the beautiful scenery (this time in front of a gushing waterfall). If you can get a bit of nerve up, do seriously consider this trip.

2tsquared

I just returned yesterday from the NCL Star. I too am a nervous flyer. We went to Misty Fjords with Carlin Air. I would highly recommend this. It was a much smoother flight than the large plane that we took to get to Seattle.

A float plane is always a smooth landing. icon_smile.gif But I have also been on some roller coaster flights in my Alaska travels. There is more movement on the sightseeing planes- be prepared for it. The scenery is spectacular. As for the boat trip- there isn't enough time to boat in both ways to Misty Fjords from Ketchikan. There is a combo trip that takes up most of your port time, but the flight is better to see the fjords and what is above the water line.

I used Island Wings and it was excellent. The plane ride was very smooth for take off and landing which surprised me. You don't even notice when the plane lifts off. Michele, the pilot is terrific. Everyone wears headsets and can talk to one another. Michele also lands and let you off the plane and you get to walk around on land. She is very sensitive to your needs so if you're a white knuckle flyer like me I would definately use Island Wings.

I am also a scaredy cat flier, but had to do this flight and get past my fears. I am so glad that I did! It was spectacular. We used RDM at http://www.alaskaseaplanetours.com The four of us had the plane all to ourselves. Our pilot was Ryan and he was delightful! He tried his best to find bears for us. We spotted one as we were landing on the lake, but he ran off before we could see him. I would definitely take the flight. Super smooth takeoffs and landings and Ryan played relaxing music as we flew. There are a few bumps going over the mountains, but nothing that scared me from doing it again one day. You only live once--go for it!

Archived