Cruising from Bayonne, NJ in winter - weather question???

Rick2594

My family just cruised the Freedom last week and had a wonderful time. So much so that we decided to book another cruise while onboard. We live in New England so we decided to try a 9 day cruise on the Explorer in January, 2009. The ship embarks from Bayonne, NJ which is only about a 4 hour drive from our house. We all love escaping the New England winters and are wondering how long it takes the Explorer to hit warmer climates once it leaves NJ. Also, what type of seas we should expect. All of our prior cruises have been out of Florida.

If anyone has cruised out of Bayonne in the winter months we'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks,

Rick

Forgive me for posting a reply since I have never sailed from NJ in the winter. However, at 25 knots, you will likely be somewhere off the FL coast about 5pm on the second sea day. I am guessing about 550 - 600 miles a day. That seems like a big price to pay to get to the warmer climates. Then you have to turn around and go back. 9 night cruise, maybe 4-5 decently warm days?? Since you say you like to get out of the New England weather, think it makes more sense flying to FL or even San Juan a couple days early then take a seven day cruise all in warmer weather. I don't understand that itinerary unless you are afraid of flying or just like the cruise experience regardless of weather. Just my 2 cents.

We cruised from Bayonne on 11-23-07, by the afternoon of the 2nd sea day it was warm, people where in the pool. We picked this departure city for something different, and the extra days on ship. Like you we are about 3.5 hours west of the port in PA, so it was nice to drive.

We found lots to do on the ship while it was cold/chilly outside, trust me you wont be bored. Great cruise directors staff, friendly and they keep things lively.

The answer is...it depends...:D

I've done a similar cruise 2x on HAL. You lose the first and last day for sure. Sometimes, if you are lucky things warm up mid Day 2 when you are off the Carolinas. For example, it was 78 here today.

Worst case is you lose the first and last 2 days.

I totally understand the itinerary, especially if you live in the NE. I loved not having to deal with the the NYC area airports. My cruises were 12 dayers, so we got as far south as Barbados, but even a 9 dayer is great and so convenient.

which is only about a 4 hour drive from our house.

If anyone has cruised out of Bayonne in the winter months we'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks,

Rick

Rick, We've done it and we'll be onboard the Explorer again this Friday. The first day and a half will be cold but you know you'll have plenty to do onboard, inside.

We don't like flying in the winter because we've had to go through so many weather related delays (plus de-icing of the planes and waiting while runways were plowed) over the years. Being able to take a short drive to the ship and just walk onboard is such a relief.

Have a wonderful cruise!

P.S. We'll warm the ship up for you! ;)

Thanks for all the quick replies. We love going out of Florida but when you add in airfare, hotel, rental car/transfers, airport parking, yada, yada, yada, it adds up fairly quickly. We figure the only extra we'd have going out of NJ is parking at the port. The other thing that sold us is our last cruise was our fifth so now we get discounts on future cruises and the 9-nighter was $200 off balconies. Although we were told that as of Dec 15 RCCL is changing their policy so the discount for a 9 night cruise changes to $100. To get the $200 discount you will now have to do 10 days or more.

We've been on the Explorer before and I'm sure we'd have plenty to do inside. But was just curious how long before we can shed the winter clothes and hit the pools.

Thanks for all the quick replies. We love going out of Florida but when you add in airfare, hotel, rental car/transfers, airport parking, yada, yada, yada, it adds up fairly quickly. We figure the only extra we'd have going out of NJ is parking at the port. The other thing that sold us is our last cruise was our fifth so now we get discounts on future cruises and the 9-nighter was $200 off balconies. Although we were told that as of Dec 15 RCCL is changing their policy so the discount for a 9 night cruise changes to $100. To get the $200 discount you will now have to do 10 days or more.

We've been on the Explorer before and I'm sure we'd have plenty to do inside. But was just curious how long before we can shed the winter clothes and hit the pools.

Rick, with the economics you mention and the potential air delays mentioned by others, I can now see that it makes sense for some. Have a great cruise!!

we fly from UK on Feb1 to join friends in Long Island for a couple of days then 10 of us join the Explorer for 12 days!! (also giving us 2 extra days to get there in case of delays due to weather or snow)

The US guys chose the trip to prevent the flying, and be able to take even more luggage ... and the flight for us is so much cheaper than to Miami.

Really looking forward to it.. am sure I can find someting to do when it is cold outside.. the spa and gym are an option,, the cakes and cocktails are another .. tough decision!!!

Enjoy your cruise..

we fly from UK on Feb1 to join friends in Long Island for a couple of days then 10 of us join the Explorer for 12 days!! (also giving us 2 extra days to get there in case of delays due to weather or snow)

The US guys chose the trip to prevent the flying, and be able to take even more luggage ... and the flight for us is so much cheaper than to Miami.

Really looking forward to it.. am sure I can find someting to do when it is cold outside.. the spa and gym are an option,, the cakes and cocktails are another .. tough decision!!!

Enjoy your cruise..

I am on EX now - they say it isn't warm 'til afternoon of 2nd sea day - we were in a bad storm - many sick going down - luckily not us - but today going back was surprisingly mild even at 8pm - I thought it would be cold today but changed into shorts and tee and that was it for the whole day! PS - we will be late getting into port 9-10

Well, I am booked on the January 2, 2009 Explorer cruise and I will be ready for just about anything. Leaving from the NE in the winter can bring decent weather and storms. I cruised from Bayonne in November 2005 and there were flurries on the day of departure. By the time I woke up the following morning, I was able to play golf and the kids hit the hot tub. The second full day at sea was the best because we were finally off the coast of FL so the weather was much nicer.

I don't understand that itinerary unless you are afraid of flying or just like the cruise experience regardless of weather. Just my 2 cents.

Thats me, I really dont care if the first and last day are to cold for the pools. I cruise to get away from everyday life and relax. I would be just as happy sitting on my balcony wrapped in a blanket or in the library reading a book. Its all good.

Archived