Should I Worry About OLGA????

poodlemom396

The ship wont sail into a storm if thats what your worried about. They might have to change the ports. If you get seasick be sure and bring meds for that. Not really much you can do but wait and see what the cruiseline does. Youll have a ball anyway, your not at work!

I am cruising Saturday. I heard on the weather this storm is heading straight for Belize??? One of my ports. What do you think???

If worrying about Olga will make her go away, then go for it! :D Otherwise just relax and go with the flow. I'm sure you will have a wonderful vacation. :cool:

Tropical storm thread #4!

Here's the link to tropical storm thread #3! Threads #1 and #2 were moved.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=673569

You may have problems. You may not. She may decide to stall and we'll have problems on our Eastern itinerary next week. Hard to say what will happen at this point.

liv, you know? It just isn't funny. Sorry. :mad:

Looks like Glory and Victory have been diverted, according to Cruisecal.

Interesting: says Glory is at San Juan "deviated from St Thomas due to adverse weather conditions" while Victory is at sea "due to weather (was San Juan)."

So they sent Glory to San Juan rather than St Thomas but Victory is at sea rather than in San Juan? Doesn't make sense.

Still concerned about Miracle. She was only "at sea" today, but probably would've been passing just east of Puerto Rico.

liv, you know? It just isn't funny. Sorry. :mad:

Sure it is.:p

You'd think that with more than one or two cruises under the belt that folks would know this sorta stuff ;)

You guys just lurk and wait for people to pounce on.

Take a look at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=673225

It was moved from this forum but I think it will help you out.

The projections only take the system out to Friday PM. I would imagine they expect it to dissipate by then and not be a factor.

Concerning your sailing, I'd expect you to be OK when you arrive at Belize. You won't be there until at least Monday, right?

You guys just lurk and wait for people to pounce on.

Some do unfortunately. Happened to me a couple times as well. Try your best to ignore the 'nasties'.

I understand your worry and really all you can do right now is keep an eye on the weather and updates from Carnival. Hopefully by the time you cruise the system will be long past.

I don't agree with another poster that said you should know 'all this stuff' simply because you have a couple cruises under your belt. This will be my fourth cruise and I still have questions. (I was also worried about the storm for a minute there as I've never cruised anytime during hurricane season so I have no idea how they go about changing ports)

Just have fun and enjoy your cruise :)

Laura

Well, I have always had the opinion Not to worry for a few reasons.

1. The Captain stays with the ship and he most likely values his own life more than mine.

2. The Cruise line is in the business of helping me have FUN. The ships have a full weather station and radar to avoid dangerous weather and situations. Given the above they are going to do their best to help me have the safest fun I can have.

Just relax and have a big time. Roll with the flow and enjoy the ride.

you will not be in harm's way as the captain won't risk things. You will be on a cruise somewhere. We sailed during Wilma and were diverted to different ports. Still had a ball. Just be glad you are not taking a land vacation you would be out of luck.We are sailing on Saturday and I plan to have a ball even if it is not at the ports I booked for.

Here's some good information:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145212.shtml?5day#contents

It's dwindling down to a depression by the time it reaches Jamaica, and will be approaching Belize this coming Friday and Saturday. It's moving at 10MPH, and from the looks of things, the center will be well inland by Sunday morning. Keep in mind, that these storm systems are much bigger and far reaching than the black line and little black dot on the map. They can make the seas choppy for long distances too. Check back at the NHC site tomorrow since the 5 day projection will be into Saturday.

Belize is a tender port. If the seas are high, you won't get off there anyway. The cruise lines know what's best and will do what's needed to keep you safe and happy.

Just bring your seasick meds if you need them, don't worry, and be happy.

Ken

I'm guessing most of us are fully aware that the captain is not going to sail into severe weather.

That doesn't mean that, when you've been looking forward to your ONE real vacation all year, that goes to the ports you specifically want to visit, that a late tropical storm isn't a concern.

I cruise for the ports. So, yeah, I'd be disappointed if the itinerary changes (it's happened; had a good time, but still disappointed that I missed that one stop!).

My idea of FUN isn't sitting on a ship, pitching along through 18' swells, through rain. If someone else thinks that's fun, fine. But please don't tell me what I should enjoy or not enjoy, thanks very much! :)

I don't think it's a matter of telling anyone what they should or shouldn't enjoy. Saying you're sure someone will enjoy is different. Worrying about the weather won't do anything to change the weather and disappointment is a natural feeling. None of that alters the reality of cruising which involves the acceptance of itinerary changes.

The single most common negative post here by a newbie involves itinerary changes. New cruisers may not be aware of how common missed ports are. It is important to let them know that this is a normal part of cruising and a risk they are accepting when they book passage. Anyone not willing to live with this risk should reconsider cruising.

I am cruising Saturday. I heard on the weather this storm is heading straight for Belize??? One of my ports. What do you think???

I am sailing to the Western Caribbean on FRIDAY, I'll block for you.:D

This storm has no life expectancy past Fri. It should dissipate by then.

Even if it does not, what is it??? Its a rainstorm, just like you get at home. It is NOT a TROPICAL STORM or a HURRICANE. If it was not where it is, over warmish water, it would not be worth mentioning. Not that anybody likes rain on their cruise.

We should be following the storm with you a day behind us. Normally the seas behind a storm are very calm, sometimes glassy.

Don't worry about it.

Dan

I don't think it's a matter of telling anyone what they should or shouldn't enjoy. Saying you're sure someone will enjoy is different. Worrying about the weather won't do anything to change the weather and disappointment is a natural feeling. None of that alters the reality of cruising which involves the acceptance of itinerary changes.

The single most common negative post here by a newbie involves itinerary changes. New cruisers may not be aware of how common missed ports are. It is important to let them know that this is a normal part of cruising and a risk they are accepting when they book passage. Anyone not willing to live with this risk should reconsider cruising.

I realize that. The only time I've experienced an itinerary change was on my 2nd cruise. We weren't informed until we boarded and were never given a reason (it wasn't weather related). Yes, it was disappointing.

I also realize that worrying about it changes nothing. I just don't personally feel the "just relax and have a big time. Roll with the flow and enjoy the ride" comments help. I just think it's rather rude for others to marginalize the concerns that people have over their long-planned vacation. That's all.

Sorry if I come across as grumpy lately. Not the best time to come down with a cold, when I'm trying to wrap up loose ends at work and get everything together to get packed. Still, better now than a week from now! ;)

I am not worried about the weather on the ship. I grew up sailing the Chesapeake Bay. I was asking because this sailing has already been changed once from original itinerary due to storms. I spent a lot of time researching and reserving excursions. I was just wondering if the storm will affect all my ports and they will all change again.

Archived