Carnival Miracle 12/01/07 Review - The Good, The Great and the AWESOME...

TallyRockChick

Hi Tally,

Another zip lining question if you don't mind... did you bring your own camera on the lines. (i think i remember seeing pics of you ziplining) If so, how did you secure it while you were on the line? I would really like to take pics of the whole adventure. Would you recommend pants or shorts?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help all of us out.

And another ziplining question - how much walking on uneven terrain is there, generally speaking? I sprained both my ankles two weeks ago and still am a little unstable on uneven ground. I don't want to do anything to mess up my ankles DURING the ziplining event, although once back on the ship, I would just sit by the pool and drink. ;)

Hi Tally,

Another zip lining question if you don't mind... did you bring your own camera on the lines. (i think i remember seeing pics of you ziplining) If so, how did you secure it while you were on the line? I would really like to take pics of the whole adventure. Would you recommend pants or shorts?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help all of us out.

Hi Luweez - Yes I brought my own camera. My camera has a strap on it that goes perfectly around my wrist. I just left it on my wrist and when I wanted to use it, grabbed on with my gloved hand. It took a minute to be ok with taking the pics with the glove on but it worked out great and there was enough time to enjoy the view, take the pic, and then put the camera down (or drop it if you will LOL) and have my hands ready to brake. I would have taken video but I totally forgot.

I wore long shorts...cargos. I would recomment either long shorts, capri's or pants. Maybe not like actual jeans, but long jean shorts would work. Those harnesses are tight and I wouldnt want those being right on my skin. Talk about rope burn! :eek:

And another ziplining question - how much walking on uneven terrain is there, generally speaking? I sprained both my ankles two weeks ago and still am a little unstable on uneven ground. I don't want to do anything to mess up my ankles DURING the ziplining event, although once back on the ship, I would just sit by the pool and drink. ;)

Hi Hudson - There really wasnt much walking at all. The most we "walked" was up some dirt stairs to get to the first zip and then I think one more zip. We took a tram up to the starting point and most of the zips went from one platform to another. I would wrap your ankles though with some pre-wrap and tape, just for some extra support because if you are coming in fact you might have to catch yourself on the next platform with your feet. I wouldnt advise against it because its an experience of a lifetime and it really wont effect you much. I also might add that I was an athletic training major for most of my college career (I changed my mind my last semester to be exercise sciences.....such is life) so as someone who went to school for injuries like you have, I still would tell you to go for it.

I have NO problem answering ANY questions you throw at me. If it wasnt for these boards I wouldnt have even gone on the tours that I did. A little pay it forward action!

Another question, if you please... did you do a cave-tubing/zipline combo? We are considering that, but I am anal to the Nth degree and can't wrap my head around how we're supposed to tube first, get all wet in swimsuits, then zipline in suits? Regular clothes? They say there's somewhere to change clothes, but do they keep your clothes for you? I can't imagine you'd have to take them down river with you??

Another question, if you please... did you do a cave-tubing/zipline combo? We are considering that, but I am anal to the Nth degree and can't wrap my head around how we're supposed to tube first, get all wet in swimsuits, then zipline in suits? Regular clothes? They say there's somewhere to change clothes, but do they keep your clothes for you? I can't imagine you'd have to take them down river with you??

We did zip lining with Oscar Brown in Costa Rica and cave tubing with Cave-tubing.com in Belize. We were already strapped for time as it was, there was just no way you could cram all of that in together.

You should bring a change of clothes cave tubing, and leave it on the bus. For some odd reason, we didnt think of that and we got to be wet (with wet shoes might I add) till we got back on the boat. They lock the bus, and they cave tube out of a national park so there is security and there are also places to change. Its all very safe and I highly recommend it.

Cruising together - as for the room question, we didnt get to see any rooms other then our own (4151)...or the rooms that were being cleaned when we walked past ;)

• 3 weeks later...
great review............................wish i was still sailing on the miracle....we changed to the glory.............

i agree with you about panama....by far the worst place i have ever been to..

we usally cruise every year but after that trip we all took 1 year off....it really turned us off...well mostly DH.........but this feb. we are back to cruising ........

Ditto here too- Panama not-so-much. Going through the canal was cool but we have NO desire to ever go back there. Dirty, yucky- stay on the ship and take advantage of the Spa specials!

Brandy

We sail in 7 Days!!! I was just wondering, if the seas are pretty calm how windy is it sitting out on the balcony while the ship is moving? Thanks for all of the great info. We're deciding this afternoon what tours we'll be taking. I've tried finding a operator in Panama that does the ferry ride down the canal but i've had no luck. I think the only company that does it is the one Carnival books through. 189x 4 so very expensive, but hbby really wants to see the canal.:) Have a great day!!!!

Just got off the Miracle and in Belize we did a Zip Line / Cave Tube combo through x-treme cave tubing. It was awesome. The other foursome canceled so the four of us had our own private tour. It was an awesome experience and would recommend this tour operator. oh, BTW. During the trip, probably the second day, they notified us that Costa Rica had been canceled due to a strike by the port workers. So, I am not sure what the current status is... Instead of Costa Rica we went to Roatan, Honduras... This place was great... really liked it... Panama sucked. If you are going to Pananma due an excursion as there is nothing worth while in port...

Kentucky - I think it really depends on where your balcony is on the ship as to whether or not you'll be fighting with winds. We had the obstructed view with french doors but no balcony so it wasnt really windy for us (Lex actually smoked a cigar standing at the doors and had no problems) but a few times we went outside a couple decks up and the wind was bad enough for me to have to pull a Marilyn Monroe with my skirt ;)

Oregon - sorry you missed out on Costa...that was def my fave port. But I hear great things about Roatan. We hope to get over there on a future cruise.

Trock - THANKS!! That means a lot coming from you for sure! :D :D

Kentucky - I think it really depends on where your balcony is on the ship as to whether or not you'll be fighting with winds. We had the obstructed view with french doors but no balcony so it wasnt really windy for us (Lex actually smoked a cigar standing at the doors and had no problems) but a few times we went outside a couple decks up and the wind was bad enough for me to have to pull a Marilyn Monroe with my skirt ;)

Oregon - sorry you missed out on Costa...that was def my fave port. But I hear great things about Roatan. We hope to get over there on a future cruise.

Trock - THANKS!! That means a lot coming from you for sure! :D :D

LOL i am a bit picky!! You and your BF are a great looking couple and take great photos!!

Hope my cruise is as fun as yours were!!

LOL i am a bit picky!! You and your BF are a great looking couple and take great photos!!

Hope my cruise is as fun as yours were!!

LOL thanks! We try!

Im sure your cruise will just as good! We didnt rebook the Miracle for December again for nuttin! ;)

a few times we went outside a couple decks up and the wind was bad enough for me to have to pull a Marilyn Monroe with my skirt ;)

Now how did I miss that? Damn, I thought I attended all the fun activities on our cruise.

How are you doing, Brandy? I miss our fun rollcall posts, and I guess you miss spitting coffee all over your keyboard whenever I would say something funny.

Now how did I miss that? Damn, I thought I attended all the fun activities on our cruise.

How are you doing, Brandy? I miss our fun rollcall posts, and I guess you miss spitting coffee all over your keyboard whenever I would say something funny.

BRUCE!!! Whats up buddy?! I miss our rollcall too! Good times...

Me and Lex are going to NOLA for Jazz Fest next month and are gonna hit up Harrah's to play some craps. Were a little obsessed now..lol!

You should sign up for our next cruise on Miracle again 12/7 so we can liven up the roll call party!

Marcia and I are going on Caribbean Princes in May, with our old son, who will be celebrating his 25th birthday on the cruise. We were on that ship Thanksgiving 2006, and had a great time.

This one is just for three days.

No plans yet for later in the year. I don't have time to think right now. We are considering taking all three kids to Vegas this summer, but that is just in the talking stage.

Several years ago, I worked with a young lady, about 27 years old. When she saw how old I was, she said "you could be my father."

I said, "Could be, do you have a picuture of your mother?"

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to bring this super review to the front of the threads because I enjoyed it so much. Sometimes when you're searching these boards you just can't find what you're looking for and I stumbled on this one buried in late last year. THanks TRC for all the information and pics and descriptions to boot. You really did a lot of work!!!:)

Well, considering that we just HAVE to have about a dozen "official cruise" threads bumped to the front page every day, and the dozen or so "can I get a price drop or OBC" threads that are started every day, the "good" ones get pushed back very, very quickly. I can't believe you actually found this!

I recently booked our "reunion" Miracle cruise for December 2010 that does this itinerary. The very first thing I did was find this thread and re-read it! If I'm not mistaken, Brandy is doing The Saints on the Miracle this December. I hope she'll write another long, thorough, and entertaining review when she returns (with lots of pics of yummy food!).

Personally, I just can't believe that people say "stay on the ship" in Panama.

Of course, I don't understand why people cruise if they aren't interested in the ports. That is WHY I cruise. I specifically book cruises that will take me to new-to-me ports! That's why I've booked this itinerary - to see Panama & Costa Rica!

Otherwise, I'd just go to some nice island and stay at an all-inclusive and never leave the grounds. If all you want is a nice room, free food, drinks and a pool/beach, why cruise?

But that's just mho. We all have them. I just find it a little confusing as to why people cruise to ports and then don't see what's there.

As for the ports themselves being "dirty" or whatever, I honestly don't pay that much attention. There are plenty of dirty streets in dirty town and cities in the states, too.

And the fact that ships actually have to sometimes dock at industrial ports? OMG! No, really? How dare the cruiselines not have dedicated tourist-only docks for us with lots of sterilized shopping areas, restaurants and bars! I mean, look at all the money we paid! That's the least they can do! How dare they make us look at freighters and trucks! Shame on them!

OK. Rant over! :p

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this. It's a great review. The Miracle's a great ship. It's going to be difficult to wait over a year to sail her again!

well I am CERTAINLY glad I could be of service. I have had the people on my new roll call on my 12/07/08 Miracle cruise checking it for ship info but without the posts it just falls by the way sides. I will most certainly be doing the same thing this time around for my St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts cruise...food included ;)

• 8 months later...

Wow!!! Great review....came across this quite by accident...googled the capers for the 8 day Miracle cruise to Panama and came across this..two years later..Still very informative and interesting...Just wanted to see when the best day was to book Nick and Nora's, not to conflict with formal nights, and have spent 4 hours reading all these posts!! The Miracle is a special boat for us as we got married while cruising on her at our favorite island, Grand Cayman. Beach wedding at the Grand Old House Plantation. If you are ever there, the restaurant is excellent, a bit pricey, but true High Style Old English Islandish! Thanks for taking so much time to amuse so many.

Judi

Archived