Do big ships have to tender?

I will be on the Emerald Princess in April for it's transatlantic voyage from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. I was wondering if it will have to tender in any of these ports since it is so large? Please help if you know. Thanks.

Funchal, Portugal

Cadiz, Spain

Gibraltar

Cagliari, Italy

Civitavecchia, Italy

Livorno, Italy

Marseille, France

Hi Southern Belle,

Big ships don't have to tender, but chances are greater traveling on a mega ships. There are several different factors which would determine whether or not you tender.

Although we're traveling on a different cruise line in 2008, I contacted our line's customer service dept. and they were able to let me know what ports, if any, we are scheduled to be tendered. They also told me what nights were formal, as well.

Contact Princess, hopefully, they will be able to supply the info to you. If you are using a TA, they should be able to obtain the info for you.

Have a great time.

Stay well,

CorgiGuy

Some larger ships have to tender where much smaller ships do not have to tender. With that said many times the factor is how many ships can be accomodated in port at the same time. When there are more ships in port than can be accomodate some have to tender.

As the other poster suggested, contact your cruise line to see if you can get the specifics for your cruise.

Keith

I will be on the Emerald Princess in April for it's transatlantic voyage from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona. I was wondering if it will have to tender in any of these ports since it is so large? Please help if you know. Thanks.

Funchal, Portugal

Cadiz, Spain

Gibraltar

Cagliari, Italy

Civitavecchia, Italy

Livorno, Italy

Marseille, France

Your TA can get that info for you. As another poster said, it is more dependent on the number of ships in port than the size of the ship, since these are mostly major port cities.

Funchal, Portugal NO

Cadiz, Spain NO

Gibraltar A Chance

Cagliari, Italy ????

Civitavecchia, Italy NO

Livorno, Italy NO

Marseille, France NO

Sometimes it is the smaller vessel which has to tender as in Funchal when full at New Year for example.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Funchal, Portugal

Cadiz, Spain

Gibraltar

Cagliari, Italy

Civitavecchia, Italy

Livorno, Italy

Marseille, France

If you go to Princess.com and sign in you can view your itinerary and next to each of the port stops is the arrival/departure times as well as an indicator as to whether the ship will tender. If there is no indication ie Tender written there, then you will dock. BUT, things do change. We were on a cruise this year on the Emerald and for one of our port stops they changed it to a tender.

Have a great cruise.

Julia

Funchal, Portugal

Cadiz, Spain

Gibraltar

Cagliari, Italy

Civitavecchia, Italy

Livorno, Italy

Marseille, France

Emerald Princess is 116,000 grt, which makes her middle ranking to large in the current market. Remember that those huge RCCI ships are 160,000 grt.

Her size is 935 feet long with a beam of 118 feet. Her draft is 26 feet.

Compare that to RMS Queen Elizabeth 2.

She is 963 feet long, with a beam of 105 feet and a draft of 32 feet. For a grt of 70,327.

Compared to RMS Queen Mary 2 which is 1253 feet long, with a beam of 131 feet and a draft of 32 feet.

Other than Marseille (for which I cannot comment) QE2 can berth alongside at every port stated. I know QM2 normally tenders in Gibratler, but then the dock isn't as long as it could be - but as your ship is shorter than QE2 and has a shallower draft then there is no reason why you cannot fit in all the other ports.

I have been unable to ascertain if QM2 docks or tenders in Cagliari, but I can tell you QE2 does!

The critical factors are likely to be draft and length (both less than QE2) and manoeverability (your ship will be far better in this respect) so anywhere QE2 can go, you can go. Panama canal apart!

By the way, it is incredibly slow isn't it? 22 knots....... QE2 can do 19 backwards!

Matthew

Archived