Spirit - At ports, when could you go ashore?

Terry&Leah

We will be on the 12/23/07 Spirit. I would like information from recent Spirit passengers as to how soon after the Spirit docked at ports you were able to go ashore.

In Roatan, the ship is scheduled to dock at 1 p.m. NCL's website says it can be up to two hours after docking that passengers can go ashore - I hope this does not mean it could be 2-3 p.m. before we can get off the ship, as sunset is 5:20 p.m. But if there are delays we should plan for, we would like to know so we can inform the tours we have booked when to expect us (we booked all our own tours with private operators, not NCL--which I have heard may also delay our ability to leave the ship. Is that anyone's experience?)

Any information you could give re: going ashore times for Roatan, Santo Tomas, Belise, or Cozumel would be appreciated.

Also, for Cozumel, which dock did Spirit dock at?

Thanks in advance!

on the dec 2 - 9 cruise, we were late getting into roatan, i have pictures of the rain/storm that was in the area. i don't know if that made us late or not...no, the storm didn't make the waters rough, but there was thunder in the backgroud. we were off about 1/2 an hour after they docked. the local boat pilot had to come out and climb aboard, then they had to turn the ship and move it sidewise to dock. interesting to watch.

i think i was around 2 when we docked, some of the excursions didn't get started until 3...heard folks complaining about that. since you dock in roatan, you just walk off when allowed (see photo attached)

in santo tomas, also, about 1/2 hr after we actually docked.

they keep making anoucement about waiting until ship clears customs.

belize, we got off on the 2nd tender, but we were on a NCL excursion. we were on the tender by a little after 8am. there were very long lines going up the stairs, people who had to wait for ship excursions and suites.

i, honestly, don't know for cozumel...we had a beach day planned and didn't get off until 10am (slept in and relaxed).

1917973194_dockedinroatan.jpg.f18f6b2f363f2486bdd28eb502e9f75a.jpg

517116865_dockareaofRoatan.jpg.0667f14691359564f701385c42a55597.jpg

Thanks, Cathi - very helpful information. Sounds like we may need to advise our tours that we may be delayed. We are diving in Cozumel, so hope we can get off the boat pretty quickly.

Anyone else with advice or experiences? Especially, if we have early trips planned that are not NCL?

Terry & Leah

Thanks, Cathi - very helpful information. Sounds like we may need to advise our tours that we may be delayed. We are diving in Cozumel, so hope we can get off the boat pretty quickly.

Anyone else with advice or experiences? Especially, if we have early trips planned that are not NCL?

Terry & Leah

On our early Dec visit we were able to get off within a half hour of docking. The entire town will be waiting and will know when you are gonna get off. No problem.

Only port with a delay,which due to tenders, was Belize.

Unlike the might US of A - port clearance is not a big deal. Tie up and let the 2 legged money spending folks off as quick as possible.

Thanks, GaryCarla.

Another question - I see NCL says to get off the boat you need your room card PLUS picture ID. Do they enforce that? We'll be bringing passports, but would just as soon not have to take them with us everywhere, especially when doing tours like watersports. The adults could bring drivers licenses with pictures, but what about kids?

don't know about the kids, we had passports..but left them on the ship. yes, they do enforce the photo ID....they ask about as you leave and you do have to show it at all port to get back on. we used our driver lic for this. i am sure a school ID would work for the kids. at the security stations, they don't have a computer to scan the sign/sail cards.

at cozumel, you have to show the photo ID and ship's sign/sail before you can even step foot on the walkway leading to the docks.

Terry & Leah

The tour people wait for their customers before they depart, so don't worry too much. To be left behind one would have to be very late, nearly 15 minutes late. not a minute. Many panic for no reason whatsoever.

Just got off the Spirit today. We had to tender in Roatan because Grandeur of the Seas was at the dock. We had an NCL tour so not a problem, but those without a tour were told the first tender would be at 2:30 but don't know what time they did get off. The problem came when we got back to the ship, we were second in line for the tender when it got full, it was almost 6 and GofS was leaving and they were bringing the Spirit in to dock. This took an hour and we had to stand and wait, there was no where to sit and the crowds were restless. My father-in-law had lung cancer and tires easily and the couple in front of us was elderly and frail, it was not good. I think they handled this very badly.

Did not have any problems anywhere else. Was very glad we had an NCL tour in Santo Thomas as once you got past the dock gates it was very scary and did not look very safe.

based on what some had said, i'm considering canceling our tabyana beach trip. can't quite decide, but i'm thinking about it. does anyone from the last couple of weeks wish they had canceled their excursion? we've been to roatan before so don't really need to "see the island". basically, my question is 2 hours on the beach worth $54/pp.

terry&leah, we are on the same sailing. drop by our roll call and say hello. we're planning a small gathering for sail away and would love to have you join us. the link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=499321&page=6

Archived