Cruise Insurance/tentative trip

loisagogo

I have cruised before and bought cruise insurance with 14 days of booking the trip. This time I am putting a deposit on a trip in December 2005 but we are not sure we are going. Since the cruise deposit is refundable up to final payment date I have no problems with that issue but the question is buying the cruise insurance now which would not be refundable if we decide not to go. Is is wise to wait until final payment is made and then buy the insurance.

I know pre-existing conditions would not be covered at that point. Opinions please!!!!

We do not get insurance until final payment is made. Whypay for insurance if it wont be needed up til that time...if you cancel up til that date--youwill get your moneyback anyways... After final payment is when you run into problems.

Pre-existing conditions are only covered when purchased with 7 - 21 days of booking your cruise, depending upon the company. If this is not a concern then there's no sense in purchasing insurance until final payment.

However, I'm not sure of this, but I believe pre-existing conditions applies not only to you, but anyone that might cause you to cancel or leave your cruise early. For instance, if you wait until final payment, have a parent with a heart condition and during your cruise he or she has a heart attack the insurance company would not cover you because of the pre-existing condition.

I always buy my trip insurance up-front, and NEVER through the cruise line or tour company. If I cancel the cruise, I call Travel Guard and just have them change the dates on my policy. No charge. I make up a "tentative" date, and then when the real date is scheduled, I call and have it changed to the exact dates of coverage. Actually, I do it on-line.

In general, you get the maximum coverage for purchasing insurance within a predetermined time of depositing on a trip. The additional benefits you get for purchasing insurance early varies by insurer, but includes pre-existing conditions for you, your travel companion, or an immediate family member. It can also include coverage for terrorists acts in a city on your itinerary or financial default of the cruise line or airline.

Many insurers allow you to make practically any change to your policy once you purchase it. If your dates change slightly, or you add a hotel or air later, you can have your policy amended, paying only if your adds result in a trip cost higher than the maximum of the range you purchased. When I cancelled one cruise and booked a cruise on a different cruise line in a different year, Travelex allowed me to transfer my insurance policy to the new trip.

That's what you get by purchasing insurance early. The only thing you lose by purchasing early is a few dollars in interest. The risk/benefit analysis makes my choice simple!

Archived