Almost no time...first timer & clueless

Hi and HELP!

Our cruise is in 32 days and I´m at a loss. I actually didn´t think I´d be able to join the cruise due to a number of reasons but...I can! And I can´t believe it! I´ve wanted to take a cruise for so long and now I finally can.:D :D :D It´s really going to happen and I just can´t believe it. I really am stunned!

Now because I didn´t think I´d be able to go and it being my first, I need help figuring out what to pack, excursions,....everything. I´m pretty much clueless. Between now and then I will be gone on one trip for five days and one week before the cruise, I´ll be heading to my parents in Florida, who will also be joining us and are also first time cruisers. I really don´t have that much time to prepare between now and then.

Any thoughts, suggestions, anything would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Karen

For excursion information, head to the ports of call board. They are a HUGE help. On our first cruise, I found awesome excursions and saved money from the ships excursions. Pack suntan lotion, highlighters, cash, bathing suit, nice clothes for the dining room, casual clothes for the windjammer, comfy clothes and shoes for the excursions. Don't forget your camera, and $1 bills for tips for the porters, and room service. Also, if you are going to Labadee, the person who carries your chair for you. There is a lot more things that I can't think of, because I am leaving 2 days before you, and am feeling the same pressure.

So many people here have made a link for a list of what to pack, just go under search and you should be able to find it. Have a wonderful trip!:D

Please don't make yourself crazy over this - it's supposed to be fun, remember?

What to pack - well, all the toiletries you'd normally bring on any vacation. Shorts and top outfits, swimsuits and coverups, 2 outfits for formal night (I actually bring one basic black dress and wear it both formal nights), and capris/tops for the non-formal nights. A few pairs of sandals, and that's it.

ARe you on the eastern or western itinerary?

Hi Karen - and welcome to CruiseCritic!

First, take a deep breath and relax - remember that first and foremost this is a vacation - no need to stress. I'm guessing that a whole bunch of CC'ers will be here shortly to answer your questions and tell you what a fantastic time you'll have on the Mariner!

For starters, we're sailing the Western Itinerary right before yours. And we're taking 16 first-time cruisers with us. Besides sending them all here, I put together a google doc to help them get acquainted with this cruise and give them a few hints. Most should apply to your cruise, so feel free to take a look (and use whatever you wish, it's a public doc):

Link

Dave

I agree with the part about breathing and relaxing!

Now here is what I did to make my very first packing list. I listed all the items I use everyday to get ready, makeup, hair dryer, shampoo, etc.

I listed all of my medications that I have to take and added some of the just in case stuff.

Then I figured out what I was going to wear to dinner every night, plus one or two extra pieces that I could mix or match with other items. Besides these pieces you will need a few pairs of shorts, t-shirts, 2-3 swimsuits plus cover ups, work out wear (?), & a jacket/sweater.

I always take a power strip because I have lots of things to plug in and there is only two outlets in the cabin.

The Mariner is a great ship. The most important thing to bring with you is a positive attitude. You will have an incredible cruise experience and will be hooked on cruising for life. The positive attitude comes into play if you happen to run into a complainer or occasional rude passenger. Maybe there will be a little rain one day, or even a missed port. Whatever happens, don't let little things cloud a wonderful cruising experience. Go with the flow and don't try to do everything all at once. There is so much to do and see, you will never be bored. The level of service you will experience from the entire crew will be impressive, even if one or two individuals fall a little short.

RCCL is our favorite cruiseline, but any cruise is a good cruise in my book, no matter which ship or line you choose. Starting out on the Mariner is a great choice! You will be spoiled and will be ready to book your next cruise before you even get off to go home.

Don't over pack. Bring clothes that work with each other to make different outfits. Bring a couple of bathing suits. When you get on board, you will need to check your luggage, which will be delivered to your stateroom later the first day or that evening. Bring a carry on with a bathing suit, medications (if needed), and whatever you might want during the first few hours on board, until your luggage is delivered.

One hint is that most luggage will fit under the beds. There is ample closet space and you will be comfortable. Ship cabins are not as large as most hotel rooms, but they are surprisingly functional.

Just be sure to enjoy yourself. Do not miss an opportunity to head out to the helipad on the bow, at least once. It is very easy to get caught up in the rush to try to do it all. Enjoy a brief quiet moment, when you can. I try to take a moment to stop, hold my wife and look around at where we are. Whether you are enjoying a sunset or sunrise over the ocean, looking at the moon reflecting off the water, or just strolling the deck, stop, look around and say, wow, we are really here. It does not get any better that that!

Eric

Besides sending them all here, I put together a google doc to help them get acquainted with this cruise and give them a few hints. Most should apply to your cruise, so feel free to take a look (and use whatever you wish, it's a public doc):

Link

Dave

What a great idea Dave! I would love to know how you did that. I'm trying to get a couple of newbie couples to join us this spring, and this Google Doc would be great!

Thanks,

Boo

Wow! You are all fast! Lots of great info to go through. The link you sent, Dave, is great! The Porto Fino menu inspired me to make pasta tonight:D . I forwarded it on and I´m sure my Mom will be pouring over it in about 17.35 seconds:o .

Looking at what you all said regarding packing makes sense. Fortunately I won´t have to run out and get anything new from the looks of it. I did get a couple of things this past fall thinking they could perhaps come in handy, including a dress for formal night. I´ll write up a list and then hit my closet over the weekend.

Keep the good ideas coming...am making a list so my 132 brain cells don´t go on overload;) .

Thanks to you all!

Karen

Relax and have a great time!

Buy the over the door shoe holder to hang on the inside of bathroom door. Buy the clear kind so you can see all of your items. This is invaluable to us!!

Make a magnetic door sign for your door. This is helpful for finding your cabin and a wonderful momento for a scrapbook upon returning home.

Overload? Hah, we're just getting started! Here's a link to the scans of the Cruise Compasses from a Mariner Western 7-day last September - courtesy of Slam308:

WebShots Album

These 4-page brochures (along with some really neat inserts and a couple of mint chocolates) show up every evening on your bed. They're packed full of information - take a highlighter along to mark the "must do/must see" stuff the night before.

Dave

Boo - to make a google doc, you have to sign up for a free google account (unless you have gmail, then you're all set). After that, a little cut, a little paste...

Just head over to google dot com, you should find everything you need to get started.

Laundry service! Gotta love it especially being one of the world´s best dribblers. Don´t mind paying the extra cost at all. My suitcase will be lighter and I don´t have to iron...sounds good to me!

Over the door shoe holder thingy is a good idea...better than having all surfaces all cluttered up.

Thanks!

Karen

Dave,

You´re great! I´ll print them out and have some good bed time reading....gotta add a highlighter to my list! I´m assuming everything is listed in the Compass as to what´s going on that day, etc.. Guess after a day of walking around with my chin scraping along the floor in awe, I´ll definitely have enough to do besides eat...which I do like to do!

Am enjoying all that you are sending and appreciate it!

Karen

Hi!

Signed up for M&M and have tried to check into that thread from time to time. Sail pass is also all set.

Have set aside some time this weekend for getting some stuff set.

I do have one question....I know that I am not allowed to take an iron with me...what if I need to have something ironed? What do I do when I just need something ironed? Everything is going to be a wrinkled mess by the time I get on the ship.

Ohhh...and someone suggested 1$ bills...how many do you recommend taking?

One more question...anybody ever ordered flowers? I´d like to have flowers put in my parents cabin. Any experiences there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

karen

Karen,

I send nearly all of our stuff out to be ironed the first day we board. Pressing only is half the cost of the laundering. To me it's worth it. Just give it to your cabin steward the first day and you'll have it back the next day.

As far as $1's... take lots. You'll be using them lots. I usually get $50 in one's and split them between my husband's wallet and myself for the initial trip, then leave what we don't need in the safe. You'll be tipping your porter, cab driver, room service attendant (if you use that) and other's. It's not like $1's go bad!

As far as flowers, I've seen some of the flowers RCI offers -- they're really pretty. I think they're a little pricey, but if you want to do it, then I guess it won't matter. Check out RCI's website. There's a tab called "Deals and Gifts." Click on it and you'll find the options for having flowers delivered to their cabin. You'll need to know their cabin number.

I've been on enough cruises that I pretty much have my packing list down... but one thing I did before our first cruise was print out a copy of my itinerary. Then I literally pulled clothes out to go with each day of the cruise. Daytime clothes and dinner clothes. My tip: Don't bring shoes for every outfit!!!

I know you might think you are rushed, but think of it this way - you didn't go through the agony of counting down the months and months until your cruise! You get to count days!

Hi TexasAnn,

Thanks for the tip about having clothes ironed on the first day. I wouldn´t have even thought about that. My stuff will have been in and out of my suitcase a few times by the time we finally reach the ship and need to have some one on one time with an iron:D .

50$ in singles it will be then. I´ll make sure I hit the bank before leaving. I think I will order flowers. I checked rccl´s site out and they do look like they have nice arrangements. Good to read that someone thinks they´re pretty.

Thanks for the tips on packing. I like your idea of using the itinerary to determine what to take. Makes alot of sense! Haven´t even thought about shoes! That could be a problem:rolleyes: ;)

Your help is appreciated!

karen

What great advice and those links are wonderful. I would add a little alarm clock to your luggage. You can always have wake up calls and all that but that little and inexpensive alarm clock makes all the difference. I bought it at Walmart or Target, under or around five dollars. Don't forget that highlighter. I was on a brand new ship last month and what drove me crazy was trying to find locations. I had wished I had brought along maps of the different decks. The ship I was on had the worst little map for everyone to use. I would copy those deck maps. Have a wonderful time. Later. Robin :cool:

Archived