Queen Victoria not in Gibraltar today?

fg_hb

Hello and a happy new year to all cruise critic forum reader,

looking to the webcam of Queen Victoria I see she is on her way to Southamton instead of being in Gibraltar. Does anybody know the reason for not stopping there. Are there high winds and gusts?

Thank you for answering.

Frank

Hello and a happy new year to all cruise critic forum reader,

looking to the webcam of Queen Victoria I see she is on her way to Southamton instead of being in Gibraltar. Does anybody know the reason for not stopping there. Are there high winds and gusts?

Thank you for answering.

Frank

Gavin certainly said they might be missing it out, implying it was because of the weather. It looks quite rough on the Webcam. I wonder how she is coping. Jane

:eek: I feel she is coping very well :D
Hi Gav

You are about to run in to some big seas, have your camera ready for lunch time Friday 4th. You could be looking at 30' swells.

Bigger seas than we a likely to get on the crossing next week.

Hold on tight and have fun.

Hello again,

I found a webpage with the waveforcast for the next hours and days.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/ww3_cgi/cgi-bin/ww3_loop.cgi?color=b&area=natl&prod=sig_wav_ht

This looks not very good for the QV and also the QE2. But I think the QE2 will not have as much problems as the QV. I hope the passengers will enjoy their cruise nevertheless.

Bye Frank

At the moment we are heading round the coast of Portugal at 18 knots and the ship is behaving quite well. Just returned from lunch in the restaurant where there was no problem. The Gibraltar miss was a disappointment (the second cancellation as we lost Casablanca as well due to security concerns) but more so for entertainers who where due to join/leave the ship. Our opera singer has lost a lucrative engagement in the UK tomorrow due to being trapped on the ship, while those ashore have had to find their way back to the UK. Incidence of Novovirus is declining, which is good; now we have to waste 11 hours somehow before arriving back in Southampton Sunday morning - perhaps we'll do a circumnavigation of the Isle of Wight!! Mike and Jan from Shanklin

Hello Mike,

thank you for keeping us informed about yourself and the other guests. Maybe there's a chance being north of the storm while it hits to Portugal and Spain.

I wish you a pleasent trip.

Frank

This looks not very good for the QV and also the QE2. But I think the QE2 will not have as much problems as the QV. I hope the passengers will enjoy their cruise nevertheless.

Bye Frank

Queen Victoria could yet surprise us with her seakeeping abilities!

We wish all those aboard her and QE2 a safe and enjoyable voyage on the way back to Southampton.

K.

Queen Victoria could yet surprise us with her seakeeping abilities!

We wish all those aboard her and QE2 a safe and enjoyable voyage on the way back to Southampton.

K.

She has massive stabilisers so I guess rolling will be in check. She will pitch, bash and shudder a bit depending on wave direction.

QM2 famously ran through a big storm herself on one of her first cruises too. Is this a "Cunard tradition"?

Anyone any idea what the weather will be like for the crossing next week.

Am on QV.

Thanks

N.

Currently two ideas going on this but still too soon to say (the pond can change daily and so do the forecasts).

NOAA WW3 forecasts suggest a little bit of heavy weather on the 8th but there is a chance we will miss most of this if we run south.

Most other forecasts are for fairly calm (for the ocean) weather.

Hi Gav

You are about to run in to some big seas, have your camera ready for lunch time Friday 4th. You could be looking at 30' swells.

Bigger seas than we a likely to get on the crossing next week.

Hold on tight and have fun.

Thanks Jon !!!! :eek: :eek: :D

I was on the QE2 behind the QM2 when we ran into the rough seas across the Atlantic. The photographers on the former used to have a picture on display showing the big wave that came over the bows of the former. It will be interesting to see how the QV fares.

It could be snowing when you get back, Gavin. It was forecast to-day but, although it stayed at 3 degrees or less all day, it has not materialised yet!

Maureen

Archived