Is The Fortress Worth Seeing

elou

We thought so and made a point of including it by adding an hour to our walking tour. We walked around the ramparts for some great views of the city. If you don't plan to tour inside, you don't need a ticket. The ticket booth is on the sidewalk by the street, but they don't collect tickets until you reach the ramp, so you can wander the grounds below at will.

Not much in the way of information at the fortress (I understand guides are available for hire). If you decide to include it on your itinerary, search the web to read up on it in advance.

Want to tour Cartagena very much. Should I include the Fortress. Thanks.

YES

We saw the fortress via a private guide. Well worth walking around--and in--plus with a guide you get the history about the city and so on---and how its connected to Mt Vernon !

Our teens loved the fort too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is worth the visit, but be advised that the ramp that leads to the top is very steep and a long climb. You'd better be in shape for that. Also coming down the ramp made my knees sore the next day, but that is just me.

The view up there is terrific and you get a good view of an old monastery or convent on another high hill. The monastery was called El Popo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It costs $7.00 to get in and their is no information as to what you are looking at. If you've seen forts in other places this one is nothing special. Plus you have to take another cab to get there-it is far from the old city.

Susie

Archived