Cp 8/28

davehaj

I was on that same cruise and I was 5th on line for the lobster tail one night when the person in a white jacket announced that there were no more lobster left... still frozen apparently. The person in front of me freaked out and started to shout and threw his plate on the counter, throwing a temper tantrum... I kinda was shocked with his behaviour. Yes, we were lining up for about 30-45 mins but his antics were just uncalled.
There were other variety of food so me and the wife just went for the crab legs, yummy...
Got a table, went to get my drink and off to the side I hear a middle-aged lady complaining loudly to some head waiters about not being able to get her drink up here... and I look a the woman next to me, who also heard the commotion, and we just shook our heads, commented that it was her first cruise and she found nothing wrong with the cruise. I tell you, some people just get all riled up for little things.
Aside from these incidents, I caught a cold on the 2nd day of the cruise but that didn't stop me from enjoying the trip... we had a great time!... 2 extra days at sea.
We were kinda worry about our flight home. We bought a cruise package with flight from Air Canada Vacation and the passenger service told us not to worry that they're contacting the TA. We, however, did our own checking by e-mailing someone back home since the phone line was impossible to get through.
The day we arrived back to port, we got off the ship first and rushed to Miami airport and the AC rep told us he'll put us on standby on the 12:45pm flight. Fortunately, we were given 2 seats. Surprisingly, our flight home was the most enjoyable we had... we got seated first class!!! being served with food and lots of leg room... too bad it was only a 3 hour flight to home.

The bottom line: Enjoy, life is too short.

[quote name='tyfighter'] The person in front of me freaked out and started to shout and threw his plate on the counter, throwing a temper tantrum... I kinda was shocked with his behaviour. Yes, we were lining up for about 30-45 mins but his antics were just uncalled.[/QUOTE]

At any point during the shenanigans did he mention anything about Burger King?

We were on the same 8/28 sailing for 9 nights.........I thought the food was fine. I really likes the pizza and room service. Every morning I had breakfast delivered and sometimes ate on the balcony. Every afternoon I ordered a chef salad :) I just asked my husband the other night before going to bed to make sure and hang out our room service card (lol)...........how I miss being pampered. I was really impressed with room service. Maybe it was our cabin location but so help me God they were they everytime we ordered within 10 minutes, it was great. Never had trouble finding something to eat. Now in regards to PC dining. I made a standing reservation for 8:30 pm every night. My hubby and I were sailing alone. We only went 4 of the 9 nights, 2 of those nights were formal. Service all but one of those nights was good, the lthe 8th night was awful. I mentioned it in another post a few days back. I have never had service like that. For the first time on a cruise I did complain but in a nice way. I quitely spoke to the head waiter on the way out.

There were 5 couple in a row but we each had our own table. The server and his assistant just were rude and awful to all of us so we actually just kept looking at each other and got through it.

The head waiter knew who they were before I even told him and said they do not do well in the rush of the PC dining and were being moved back to traditional dining. I hope they find their personalities on the way (lol) but hey maybe they just are good in the other setting. PC dining was rushed. It was like wham bam turn over but the food was good. Each night we had to wait in line for up to 15 minutes even though we had a reservation which was silly. I enjoyed the freedom of the PC dining without the boys with us and since the cruise was delayed but I have to admit I missed the slower dining and table mates and dessert menu.

The only other thing I can think of was there was no "drink station" as you will find on Disney, CCL or RCCL. It would have be GREAT to be able to get a lemonade of punch instead of soda's all of the time. I also missed the ready made hot cocoa dispenser we have always found on other ships. But the lack of being able to get a cold drink was a little strange. Even an ice water, they had glasses and ice and hot water but the ice melted thus leaving you with still hot water. You could get ice water from the Bars or purchase bottles of water.

Kudo's to Princesss for the automatic antibacterial dispensers :)

I will cruise Princess again for sure but would like more options for drinks and will probably go traditional dining when our boys go with us.

I have posted this on other threads and can not stress to you enough. If you are delayed for whatever reason make sure you do whatever it takes to change your air reservations each and every time you have a delay. If you use Princess Air you will be fine.

As the above poster mentioned Princess did give "free" telephone calls but there are less than 4 lines off the ship and you do the math for over 3100 passengers. It was busy for 4 days. I only met one woman who got a line and that was at 3:00 am. The lines to the internet were 30-50 people deep and it took over an hour but wait.

We changed our flights from Saturday to Sunday then to Monday. Make sure you do this. The above poster was lucky and got home. Those on US Air and many on American could not get home and if they did not change their reservations they were put on stand by and the list went to Thursday and this was Monday.

In regards to the man having a hissy and people being rude that happens everywhere now days. We saw several people taking it out on the CP staff which is just rude. The crew of the CP were tired, they had us for 9 nights and only got one night off in Cozumel. The staff can not control the hurricane or anything else like running out of OJ in the end.

These are the same people who b--ch about everything else in life and start threads like these.

Take care!

DC

roohound:
I didn't hear any remarks about BK... However, this same person while waiting in line for the lobster tails, picked up a slice of pork filet or something, put it on his plate, used his finger to put it(pork) in his mouth and afterwards started to lick his fingers.... yuk... I mean, he'd use those same hand to pick up the prong for the lobster.

" Service all but one of those nights was good, the 8th night was awful. "

I believe this would be because the crew found out that they were not getting paid for working on days 8 and 9 of the cruise. I really don't think that was fair.
They announced that only 7 days of tips would be put on the sign and sail card. Even though people didnt expect to be on the ship for 9 days I really think they should have charged for 9 days.
When we found this out we tipped separately for the extra 2 days.

cusly-

Fact-
Service in the Palm dining room on the 8th night for us was awful so what is not fair? What are you talking about?

If you re-read my post you will see I was only speaking of the service in the PC Palm Dining room. Everyone else on the board the ship was great for all 9 nights!

Just as hurricance Frances was not my fault or Princess Cruiselines fault they will not pay me for all of the etrax expenses we incurred on board or in getting home from the delay and I would never ask them too.

I have hundred's of extra dollars that we had to spend but hey that is the weather, that is life and I did not go around being rude because I was way over budget and did not know how we would get home. I did just the opposite. Smiled and made the best of it!

No matter what the situation I do not treat crew members badly and in fact go out of my way to make up for those jerks we all see who do. So why should we treated poorly by the Server and Assistant Server in the dining room the 8th night.

None of the other crew on the CP were rude for the 9 nights. Everyone was wonderful! I said everyone made the best of it. If you had read my post carefully you would have noticed I complained only to the head steward about our serving team the 8th night and was told that they were already aware of this serving team and the problem was the rush of PC dining NOT them being tired or under paid but he said they do very well in traditional dining where they were being moved and wanted to be moved.I was a very discreet moment and no one noticed. For Gods sake I did not throw myself down in the middle of the dining room crying. I quietly told the head server in detail what we had just experienced.

Also one thing you should have learned from these forums is do not judge me. I never mentioned tips and for the record I did tip for the whole 9 nights and then even more to those who made our cruise special. You are not the only ones who worried about the crew losing a week of wages.

I would never penalize a whole crew for one bad egg, I would never penalize the crew for a hurricane. I never said anyone else gave us poor service or I "was not FAIR" and did not pay my tips and extra. That is something you came up with that is not FACT!

DC

Sorry, that is the first time I have "lost it here", you all are so different that what I read on the RCCL boards and CCL and are one reason we went with Princess.

I was just stating my experience yet I am accused of not being fair. I paid my tips plus some. I never said I did not. I just did not think I should brag about something that should be done since that was not the topic.

The poster told me I was not fair because the crew was tired and not being paid. Heck, I know that. We paid and paid extra. What was not fair is for this poster to be so sensitive to over people's perspective that she is just like those guys over at the RCCL forums and if you say anything less than 100% you get flamed.

I did not mean to be rude but yes I was offended that she tells me like a 5 year old that we were not fair..........

"Yes, we were lining up for about 30-45 mins "

Tyfighter. Was this the norm in the evening for the buffet? One reason we love the Grand class is the buffet layout with the multiple lines. Never, except for last day breakfast, have we had to wait in a line longer then 1 or 2 minutes on the Grand or Golden.

Thanks;

Scott

Sproctor:

We ate mostly on PC and I don't think this was the norm... I think it was because of the seafood/lobster tails menu. There was only one location for the lobster tail and only 1 line for it... also, if my memory serves me right, this was around 9:30pm, after the first show. We thought we'd check it out since we heard about this through cc.
On a couple occassions we had lunch up there (caribe cafe) for sushi and the lineup went pretty quick.

This might be a good place to jump in and mention that a lively discussion or debate is great. Being able to see all sides of an issue or cruise experience is a desirable characteristic of such threads.

Please be careful though; personal attacks on either side of the issue are against board guidelines and will probably be removed. But more importantly they have a way of turning off readers who might otherwise gain valuable information from such exchanges.

There's some good stuff here. Let's keep it around. Let's stay on topic.

You all are right and I read into the part of thinking the fair comment was directed at me only and I am sorry.

But only a sentence from my post was quoted in which I said:

"Service all but one of those nights was good, the 8th night was awful. "

I do apologize for going on the defensive but still I do not understand what the poster comment meant:

"I believe this would be because the crew found out that they were not getting paid for working on days 8 and 9 of the cruise. I really don't think that was fair."

Two wrongs do not make a right. I was not rude to the servers or anyone on the CP and they were not rude to us "except" for the servers mentioned on the 8th night.

The weather had caused delays and caused problems with everyones bank accounts and tips/salaries but that still does not give those servers the right to have ruined dinner for us.

From the quote above it seems you are saying the Princess staff had the right or was justified in being rude because they were not getting paid for nights 8 and 9. That seems to be an internal Princess issue and hopefully seasoned cruisers would recognize this was an unusual situation and tip accordingly for the extra work done.

Ok, I am done but still confused.

DC

I think the thread was started by someone trying to brew up trouble, for my part I am saying hey it was great but these things can happen. Sometimes people do not want to hear about the other side thinking someone is flaming the cruiseline which I have not done.

It was a quiet elegance and that can not be beat.

DC

We had a wonderful time on the 8/28 sailing! So what if there were no more lobster, oh my gosh there was sooo much food to choose from. I want to know where they get their butter. That is the best I have ever tasted. We only went to the dining room 1 time It was good, especially the love boat dream yummy! But we found that the variety at Cafe Caribe much more to our liking. The food was great!! We tended to eat later in the evening and did not have to deal with a crowd. Actually, we always wondered where everyone else was on the ship. We never felt that we were with over 3,000 people. Even with the extra days/nights the all of the staff we encountered were excellent and I hope other passengers remembered to tip accordingly as the auto tipping was just for the original 7 days. It was nice they offered free internet and phone. We got a tip form a gentleman that the best time to get a line out was in the wee hours of the morning. So, we just stayed up and danced at Skywalkers and was able to get a line about 2:30 ish. All in all this trip was an adventure. All the time I had spent planning our ports here on these boards, we ending up just "winging it" a very hard thing for me not to have every minute planned. I just adopted my husband's attitude of going with the flow. Even booking the wrong excursion on Grand Cayman turned out to be better than the one I was supposed to book. Getting caught in the rain in Mexico, we found a nice little bar to wait it out and ended up meeting several locals and having a great time! Meeting a great taxi driver in Jamaica and seeing all of the island from a native's perspective, totally unplanned. Another added bonus was that my dear mother in law was making fun of me and my over packing. I ended up using all of those dresses and shoes! On the last night when everyone else was in shorts, we were dressed in style and we needed the extra for the unplanned day in Florida. So there!! I will always over pack, never know what you'll need!

So to sum it all up this is one anniversary we will never forget. I don't think I will ever be able to top this 1st cruise. But... I willing to keep trying and trying over and over again!!!

I was not attacking anyone, ....I was only mentioning the fact that Princess only added tips for 7 days instead of 9 to every passenger on the ship. This I did not feel was fair for the crew. I know if I was working on the ship I would be upset that I wasn't getting paid.

[quote name='Disneycruiser#1']We were on the same 8/28 sailing for 9 nights.........I thought the food was fine. I really likes the pizza and room service. Every morning I had breakfast delivered and sometimes ate on the balcony. Every afternoon I ordered a chef salad

DC[/QUOTE] Hi DC, it is the large pink guy from the elevator.;)

We loved the cruise, and we only did the restaurant twice, and Sterling twice. [Got two steaks the second time!!]. For the rest of the cruise it was pizza, burgers, and Caribe Café. Next time we cruise, and it will be with Princess, we will not do formal nights.

Room services was great. I especially liked the “self-serve” room service. R710 is one door from the stairs up to the “Horizon Frig”.:o

My only concern were all the other ships going in circles with us!!:p

- Gerry -

[quote name='cusyl']" Service all but one of those nights was good, the 8th night was awful. "

I believe this would be because the crew found out that they were not getting paid for working on days 8 and 9 of the cruise. I really don't think that was fair.
They announced that only 7 days of tips would be put on the sign and sail card. Even though people didnt expect to be on the ship for 9 days I really think they should have charged for 9 days.
When we found this out we tipped separately for the extra 2 days.[/QUOTE]
I tipped my room steward in cash $65, and I added the two days tips to my tab even though I was not eating in the restaurants. Hey, it was not their fault.

I recently read the “ class of passengers have gone down over the years”. Put my name on that list. I feel the “class” of those who served me is closer my class than the class those who feel that “class of passengers have gone down over the years”. I cannot tell you who thankful I am for the service I received!

Archived