Has anyone sailed on the Zaandam?

2serendip

I was onboard for a special event and had an opportunity to tour the ship, dine and watch some entertainment. Beautiful ship. If you've been on the Amsterdam, RFotterdam and/or Volendam you'll feel at home.

I prefer the more modern Vista Class and am highly interested in the Eurodam, but the Zaandam, especially if you enjoy a musical theme and replicas of artifacts from Ancient Egypt would be a WONDERFUL way to spend a vacation.

I sailed the Zaandam to Hawaii for 15 days a little over a year ago. I think she's a beautiful ship.

What would you like to know about her? It's easier to answer an inquiry if there's a specific question (or questions) involved. A vague "tell me about" is tougher to address.

I've posted several queries regarding the Zaandam, and no one ever answers. Has anyone from Cruise Critic ever been on that ship? Is there a reason why not?
This is the only message I found that you posted re: Zaandam:
We have booked two deck 7 A-level cabins, but I see now that the deck 7 cabins are beneath the Lido, and I'm worried about noise. I'm even more concerned about the deck configurations because it looks like there is a rather large overhang above deck 7 in the middle which may shade and darken our cabin throughout the day. So now I'm thinking of switching to the deck 6 AA's. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks a lot!
I have been on the Zaandam and highly recommend her. I do NOT however have personal experience for those particular cabins. I have had an aft cabin directly below the Lido deck on another ship and noise was never a factor though.

We sailed on the Zaandam in May, 2007, and enjoyed our cruise very much. She is a very nice ship. We are going on her again next month to Hawaii.

Regarding your question about the cabins, I don't recall anyone complaining about noise from above in the Cat A cabins on the Navigation Deck. Those cabins appear to be under the carpeted areas of the Lido.

We have cruised on several S & R class HAL ships in Cat A cabins, but well aft and did not have any problems with noise from above. Hope this helps.

We loved the Zaandam! (Summer 2006, Alaska Itinerary) We were so taken with the size of the ship that we were on the Volendam last month to the Southern Caribbean/Panama Canal. And we'll be on the Volendam again in October to New Zealand/Australia. So I don't think you made a mistake at all.

You can read my review of the Zaandam here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391963

And see photos from that cruise here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/robinjh7

Robin

Archived