Santorini without a lot of walking - is this possible??

[Agabbymama, do you mean you can't look down even if you're several feet back from the edge? I would never be able to get near the edge and look straight down, but back aways I'm usually ok. Seems a shame not to see it.]

Cruising-along,

I'm okay well back from the edge. I would guess 50-100 feet. I can look off in the distance, but never directly down, even with a railing.

And as for the cable cars, I did do the cable car across the San Diego Zoo but it was only maybe 100 feet up, with my eyes closed for take-off, and holding on for dear life. My friend kept trying to get me to open my eyes and look out, but I just kept praying for the ride to be over.

Everybody has to decide for themselves. I'd rather not have a panic attack and be able to enjoy the rest of the trip.

You'll be fine- the ride is like two minutes! It isn't anything like a ski lift or a skyride.

Don't miss Santorini because of your fears. It really isn't bad and like I and others have said- sit with your back to the ocean and you don't have to look down anyway.

I loved Santorini.

I never allow my fears to make me miss important moments. Don't be wimpy.

Agabbymama--This tram is nothing like the San Diego Zoo--you can sit in the middle of the seat facing the hill, it is much smoother and feels much more sturdy than most ski lifts or park look at the view rides--and if I remember correctly the ride is shorter. You do make a point about getting yourself worked up and not enjoying yourself--maybe your friend could sign up for a ship tour by herself--or go with some people you meet through cc or on the ship. This is truly a wonderful place to see.

Agabbymama--This tram is nothing like the San Diego Zoo--you can sit in the middle of the seat facing the hill, it is much smoother and feels much more sturdy than most ski lifts or park look at the view rides--and if I remember correctly the ride is shorter. You do make a point about getting yourself worked up and not enjoying yourself--maybe your friend could sign up for a ship tour by herself--or go with some people you meet through cc or on the ship. This is truly a wonderful place to see.

Thanks for the response. I do want to see Santorini too, that's why I thought the bus tour would be the way for both of us to see it. I just think I will do better on the bus, than on the gondola. I'm a big chicken!

Agabbymama, it's great that you decided on a way to see Santorini. As you said, you can close your eyes on the bus. The entire bus tour won't be stressful, only the trip up and down. There will be time on normal roads at the top when you can open your eyes!

Do make sure your tour gives your the option of a bus ride back down. Many ship-sponsored excursions leave you in Fira with the only choices for gettting back to the ship being the cable cars, the donkeys, or walking the donkey path.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the response. I do want to see Santorini too, that's why I thought the bus tour would be the way for both of us to see it. I just think I will do better on the bus, than on the gondola. I'm a big chicken!

"Where there's a will, there's a way". Thank goodness there are options for everyone :)

I plan to ride the gondola, if I sit facing the hillside I think I'll be fine. Thanks to all for the great tips!

Archived