Santorini without a lot of walking - is this possible??

We're first time Med cruisers and are scheduled to stop in Santorini on a Celebrity cruise this May. Our group includes 2 young children (ages 4 & 6) & 2 grandparents and we're wondering if anyone has advice on how to explore the sights without a ton of walking and standing in line (or whether this is just not feasible - better to know now!?)? Is there a place (or two) we could get to fairly easily which would be a good "home base" for some of us to rest while some of us explored? Having never been there, I'm wondering if there are any creative options / alternatives? We were just hoping to get everyone off the ship to get at least a taste of this beautiful place! Thanks for your help!

I was in Santorini a few months ago. It was supposed to be off season, but the place was packed. I am not sure when you are going, but you probably should just sign up for a nice tour of the island through the cruise line. They drop you off pretty close to the main areas. At most you need to walk a few short blocks. But there are lots of small steps and ramps in the cities.

Or just take the cable car up and wander around the top. There are small shops, places to eat, etc. But the cable car can be very crowded coming back down. It goes fast so do not let the line scare you. But it could easily be 30 minutes in line.

Santorini is not really 'made-to-order' for people who are not physically able to walk a lot. Almost everything that's worth seeing in the caldera-side villages is in the pedestrian-only areas where the pathways are uneven, can be steep, and sometimes require step-climbing. On the other side of the island are the beachfront villages where you can walk on flat surfaces and stop to rest whenever you want in your choice of many restaurants. If you're coming up from the cruise ship port into the main village of Fira, just look close by for a restaurant. That's the best advice I can offer.

I second the idea of just doing a ship's tour. Santorini is one of two ports I plan to do ship's excursions. Kusadasi being the other.

I'm on a Princess tour, and their description of the shore excursion says they will drop you off up-top and you can ride the cable car down, or you can ride back to the pier for transfer to the ship. I suffer from a terrible fear of heights, so won't be doing the cable car, but I did want to see a little of Santorini. On the tour bus, I can sit on the opposite side of the bus and close my eyes. There is no way I could bring myself to board the swaying gondola baskets.

Have a great trip whatever you choose to do.

Agabbymama:

I took a cruise ships tour of Santorini on the Westerdam last October. We also took the bus back down the hill rather than "being dropped off up top". What they do not tell you is the bus drops you off a fair distance from town and the cable car stop.

We then went up the cable car later. Be advised that the pier to take a bus tour is not the same pier to catch the cable car. The ships anchors off shore and tenders go to both piers.

I have some photos of that road if you want to see them.

Agabbymama:

I took a cruise ships tour of Santorini on the Westerdam last October. We also took the bus back down the hill rather than "being dropped off up top". What they do not tell you is the bus drops you off a fair distance from town and the cable car stop.

We then went up the cable car later. Be advised that the pier to take a bus tour is not the same pier to catch the cable car. The ships anchors off shore and tenders go to both piers.

I have some photos of that road if you want to see them.

Fblack,

Yes, I know the tender pier for the bus tours is a different one than the one to the cable car. That's what I wanted. I don't plan to use the cable car or the donkeys. I realize it's still going to be a steep climb for the bus, but I just feel better being on ground not suspended from a cable in the air. I did fine on the Yukon White Pass RR in Alaska. I just sat on the side of the train away from the drop off. Similar experience in Greece going up the mountain on a cog-wheel train to Kalavrita. If all else fails, I just close my eyes until the ascent is done. Then my traveling companion can tell me to open my eyes.

If you know how to post photos, that would be great. Thanks.

I would recommend the EZ Santorini tour that Princess offers, and I think most other lines do too. We did not tender to the cable car/donkey port, but to a spot where we could board buses. They drive up switchbacks to the top of the mountain. It is no worse than mountain driving anyplace. They then made several scenic stops at various points, including a wine and cheese tasting. The walking was minimal.

If you want, they will leave you in Fira town but they warn that it is several blocks uphill to the cable car, and the lines are often long. With the kids I doubt you would want to do it. Otherwise the bus will take you back down the switchbacks to the tenders.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

I completely disagree with a tour. Santorini is easy to navigate with kids. It is completely child friendly. Take the cable car to the top and let the tots run around. It will be very fun for them and give you all a good work out. Bring along umbrella strollers and shop for a while once they are tuckered out.

NO need for an excursion. The kids will love the cable car. If you walk up to the top- you are asking for trouble.

I completely disagree with a tour. Santorini is easy to navigate with kids. It is completely child friendly. Take the cable car to the top and let the tots run around. It will be very fun for them and give you all a good work out. Bring along umbrella strollers and shop for a while once they are tuckered out.

NO need for an excursion. The kids will love the cable car. If you walk up to the top- you are asking for trouble.

I was going to post that too. Especially with what it sounds would be 6 people. Just take the cable car up. It's not scary at all...Capri is way worse ;) and if you don't want to wait in lines with the kids, just take a cab to Oia. Way cheaper than the ships tour.

You will be fine on the bus. Here's a photo. Sorry but Cruise Critics force it to be small. That "white" dot in the middle is a bus.

Thanks for the photo. That's about what I thought. I've been to the Grand Canyon and as long as I stayed on the bus and didn't look down, I was okay. I hope I do fine. I hate to be a spoil sport, but I know I won't be able to get on the cable car.

MercedMike,

The EZ Santorini is exactly the tour I was looking at. Thanks for the photos and review of the exact tour I'm taking.

2Hoyas,

Good luck. While the kids may love the cable car, the grandparents might not be quite as thrilled. I'd check with everyone and see what their preference is. The grandparents might opt for the tour.

There is no way I could bring myself to board the swaying gondola baskets.

Oh man, I had talked myself into being "ok" with the cable car (I have a terrible fear of heights too), but I hadn't thought about the swaying :eek:

I really hadn't wanted to ride the donkeys (don't laugh, but I wouldn't feel safe along the steep edges).

And I hear that if you walk up you walk in the donkey dung :(

Looks like I'm going to have to think about this between now and May. DH and the other two in our party will want to either take the cable car or donkeys, and I'd want to be with them, so......maybe the donkeys wouldn't be so bad.... :o

Oh man, I had talked myself into being "ok" with the cable car (I have a terrible fear of heights too), but I hadn't thought about the swaying :eek:

I really hadn't wanted to ride the donkeys (don't laugh, but I wouldn't feel safe along the steep edges).

And I hear that if you walk up you walk in the donkey dung :(

Looks like I'm going to have to think about this between now and May. DH and the other two in our party will want to either take the cable car or donkeys, and I'd want to be with them, so......maybe the donkeys wouldn't be so bad.... :o

Carolyn, please don't let other people's phobias turn you off the gondola. It's a really mild ride and it doesn't sway. Agabbymamma has certainly voiced her dislike of the gondolas numerous times. I hate heights, I hate rollercoasters etc. They do not sway, honestly. Total hype. It's a complete and utter waste of money to do a tour on Santorini.

Ah, thanks for the advice :) To tell the truth neither sounds great, but I won't let it stop me. I can always see when I get there which looks the least scary :o

We plan to rent a car and see the sights on our own, no tour. I'm assuming we have to get up top to the rental cars?

Santorinicablecars.jpg

My experience is like Fblack's - they do sway. Not wildly, but I think you can see in this picture how the wind and the movement over the supports could cause the cars to move a bit.

I would never minimize anyone's fears or phobias; if someone is terrified of heights, Santorini isn't the best port stop. But if you can manage your fears one way or another, what you see at the top is so worth it.

We did the bus ride up and the cable cars down. Personally I found the bus ride more of a white-knuckle ride that the cable cars. The cable car ride was a little un-nerving to me, but it was brief.

From the cable car, we could see the donkey path - it looked crowded, narrow, and steep. I wanted no part of it.

Santorinicablecars.jpg

My experience is like Fblack's - they do sway. Not wildly, but I think you can see in this picture how the wind and the movement over the supports could cause the cars to move a bit.

I would never minimize anyone's fears or phobias; if someone is terrified of heights, Santorini isn't the best port stop. But if you can manage your fears one way or another, what you see at the top is so worth it.

We did the bus ride up and the cable cars down. Personally I found the bus ride more of a white-knuckle ride that the cable cars. The cable car ride was a little un-nerving to me, but it was brief.

From the cable car, we could see the donkey path - it looked crowded, narrow, and steep. I wanted no part of it.

Thank you Joan. That is a great photo. Makes me queasy just looking at the photo. I may have to rethink the bus ride, and maybe just see Santorini from the cruise ship. I hate to make my friend miss the port, but I'm really apprehensive about that trek up the caldera. No point in giving myself a heart attack just to get to the top when I won't be able to look down on the view anyway.

agabbymama said:

Makes me queasy just looking at the photo. I may have to rethink the bus ride, and maybe just see Santorini from the cruise ship. I hate to make my friend miss the port, but I'm really apprehensive about that trek up the caldera. No point in giving myself a heart attack just to get to the top when I won't be able to look down on the view anyway.

I understand how you feel - I suffer from vertigo (somewhat) myself. But Santorini is so spectacular - the most obvious 'in your face' destination in that part of the world. Other places may have greater depth of attractions, e.g. Mykonos has not only a fascinating town but also its beaches plus Delos not far away - but Santorini is unique.

Here's one suggestion - when you board the cablecar, sit facing forwards going up, and facing backwards coming down. (The cablecar, which is enclosed, has six seats arranged 3 x 3 facing each other; three are along the back and face forwards, and the other three are along the front and face backwards.) If you do this, first your view will mainly be of the inside of the car. If you happen to look beyond that, then you will simply be looking at the steep hillside, which will fill your entire view and will be close. You won't be facing fresh air and empty space, and you won't be anything like so aware of any drop. Also the car has a full floor, so you can't look down between your feet and see nothing. The ride takes just a couple of minutes and is very smooth. There can be a bit of swaying, but it's very slight. The main thing you'll be aware of is the silence of the ride; the (very) slight 'bump' every time the cable goes over a support, and (at top and bottom) the slightly greater bumps when the cable reaches the mechanism for controlling entry to the stations. The stations themselves are enclosed, i.e. they have roofs.

Here are some pictures I took in 2006 and 2007 on my visits to Santorini:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2515

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2890

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2737

Yes, great photos Joanne and Tom :)

I actually feel a little better about it after seeing the cable car photo. I think if I do as Tom advised, I'll be "ok" (not great, but will survive) :o

I look at it as a necessary evil such as flying :eek: After all, I'm not going half-way around the world and not be able to see what I want to see.

Agabbymama, do you mean you can't look down even if you're several feet back from the edge? I would never be able to get near the edge and look straight down, but back aways I'm usually ok. Seems a shame not to see it.

Thank you Tom for describing the cable car and the tips, I will be sure to do as you suggest! And my DH will know better than to snap photos of my fear-stricken face!! :D :D

I too have a fear of heights so I sat with my back to the sea and concentrated on a conversation with my friend all the way up. Despite the fact that the car was moving, I did my best not to focus on it. Did the same on the way back down.

Have a wonderful time in Santorini. It was one of the most beautiful places we've visited.

Archived