good local food?

rachel0

Where's a lunch spot with great local food that's not too far from where the ships are? Really looking for regional food, not typical touristy-burger type food.

Also, what is a local favorite dish; what should I be looking to try?

Thanks!

yup.. de flyin fish is we national dish and we do pride ourselves in preparing like no one else can. Here in barbados (and most part of the Caribbean) we pride ourselves in adding our own style & flavor in every type of dish... for lunch there are lot of places on the West Coast, like Weiser, Coach House, etc. where you get good buffet and at a good price (not the "tourist price") Some tours even include lunch as well. Of course, if you are eating a bajan make sure u wash it down with a good bajan drink like mauby, sorrel, etc. and since here was where rum was born... endless cocktails, mixes and variations. i would recommend carry a bottle for a friend, (or yourself) so they get a taste of what they miss.. lol

”Where's a lunch spot with great local food that's not too far from where the ships are? Really looking for regional food, not typical touristy-burger type food.

Also, what is a local favorite dish; what should I be looking to try?”

Hi, rachelO,

I didn’t read when you are going to Barbados, if it’s in a few months, I have a spot for you to try….

It’s The Waterfront Café at the Careenage in Bridgetown.

It’s about a mile walk from the ship or a buck shuttle.

They’ve got (of course) Flying fish and cou cou, pepper-pot stew, buljol, fish cakes and plantation pork (plantains stuffed with spicy minced pork), and lots more. Another suggestion is Roti. It’s a folded pastry with spicy potato and meat in a curry sauce.

First-time visitors should just try the Flying fish and cou cou. It pleases most North American pallets.

A favorite Barbadian drink is mauby. It’s bitter, but it grows on you. Definitely an acquired taste (like scotch), but if you can beg a sip, please try it.

The Careenage got hit hard with Ivan and I don’t know how the Waterfront fared. Ask at the Gatehouse when you exit the port facility.

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

I guess I’d describe Flying Fish as being a mild, firm white fish with little taste, somewhat like catfish. It’s the seasonings we put on that make it so good and the fish doesn’t compete with the added flavors.

Here’s a picture of one (they reach a length of about 15”):

flyingfish.jpg

Here’s the basic recipe for our almost daily dish (it changes a little in every kitchen):

This is the national dish of Barbados.

Cou-Cou:

2 cups water

10 small okra, finely sliced

1/4 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/2 pound fine cornmeal

Flying Fish:

8 Flying Fish (about 1 1/2 pounds), scaled, boned, and butterflied

3 tablespoons Bajan seasoning (also called green seasoning)

Lime juice, as needed

Salt, as needed

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 large onions, sliced

3 cloves garlic, sliced

1 stalk celery, diced

1 bay leaf

2 tablespoons catsup

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon mustard

1 teaspoon sugar

1 cup water or fish stock

1/4 green bell pepper, sliced

1/4 yellow bell pepper, sliced

1/4 red bell pepper, sliced

2 large tomatoes, chopped

2 tablespoons mixed chopped herbs, like dill, chives, parsley, and thyme

1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Make the Cou-Cou: Combine the water, okra, red pepper, salt, and hot sauce in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until very thick. Transfer half of the okra mixture to a bowl.

Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to the okra mixture in the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low. While stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon, sprinkle in the cornmeal a little at a time, and cook until thick. Add the remaining okra mixture and 2 tablespoons butter and stir until smooth. Cover to keep warm.

Make the Flying Fish: Rub the flesh side of the fish with the Bajan seasoning and lime juice, and season with the salt, to taste. Roll each fish up tightly and secure with a toothpick.

Heat the butter in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the catsup, curry, mustard, and sugar and stir. Add the water, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Arrange the rolled fish in the skillet and cover with the bell peppers, tomato, herbs, and hot sauce. Cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.

Divide the cou-cou among the plates, make a well in each, and spoon the fish and sauce over the top.

The Bajan seasoning is the real secret. You can have the dish many times and then you find one so good you can’t explain it. Just like anything else in the kitchen, good cooks make the difference.

Buljol is made from salt fish, correct? Is salt fish salty? Is/are the salt fish cooked or is the buljol made from raw fish?

Sea eggs? They are the roe of sea urchins, correct? Is this an appetizer/hors d'oeuvre like caviar? Are they raw or smoked or pickled or? Are sea urchins edible?

Just trying to find something to go with my cou-cou and flying fish....

I know I will be at the Crane for Sunday brunch/buffet....do they serve a lot of local dishes? (Altho' I could go for a good steak and kidney pie, too)

Bul Jol is a very tasty dish, appeatizer mainly.

Salt Fish, which is usually boiled for little while or it's place in water, to get rid of some of the salt. Salt Fish is simply Salted Cod fish.. It's not really raw, but not cooked.. unless you say it's "cooked inthe Salt".

I make my Bul Jol with Salt Fish, Onions, Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Green Peppers. A little squeeze of lime and sometimes a little olive oil. You mix is all together and it can be served with bread or Eclipse Biscuts.. which are actually hard crackers.. and very good.

Not sure about the seaeggs.. but it's mainly the meat of the Sea Urchin. It's in season now, but may not be when you are here, so it may be hard to get.

Enjoy your stay in Barbados and happy eating.

Thanks for the compliment..

I did forget to mention on the Bul Jol..

Chop the tomato, onion, green pepper and cucumber.. sometimes I do mine fine chop and sometimes course.. then add the salt fish, which is flaked or chopped (don't add the bones or the skin).. combine them all together and add the lime juice and Salt to taste (if you have boiled all the salt out of the fish). as I said you can add a little olive oil but it taste fresher with out it.

I usually buy salt fish and take to NC when I go home and make the BulJol for family and friends. If you want to try to make it without the salt fish I would recommend some sort of cooked white fish, maybe flouder or cod.. Then you would need to salt the mixture after it's all put together.

If you are lover of hotsauce, you can add some to it as well, to give it a kick.

Enjoy.

Go to Frankies across the highway from the airport parking lot...it's where the skycaps hang out and has great local food and cold beer. And don't worry that it's hot - there is always a great breeze. This is a fine alternative to the overpriced bad food in the airport lounge.

Living in Barbados, and having worked at the Airport for about 2 years, I would actually recommend Pugs, which is also across from the airport, just at the round-a-bout. I don't think I ever went to Frankies.. or it wasn't open yet when I worked there about 11yrs ago. Pug is good, and cheap, relatively speaking.

some of the best places to get a good local meal is at a Rum Shop.. and there are over 1000 of them on the island. Cutters, Sandwiches made from Salt Bread, sort of like a hamburger bun but better, are great.. flying fish, ham, pork or cheese (wedge of cheese and bread.. thats it). If your lucky you can get a full meal.. Rice and peas, macaroni pie, and always chicken.. you can't go anywhere in Barbados without seeing chicken.

Enjoy.

Sunniebgi

• 3 weeks later...

Had lunch at Weisers on the Bay at Brandon’s Beach. Absolutely excellent flying fish fajitas for $5. Beach is very close to the ship (Cost us $3 per person by taxi) and was almost deserted. It looked like a very good place to enjoy the beach. Don’t know about snorkeling.

• 5 weeks later...

Well you guys are talking about food and so as we say in Barbados I have to put my 2cents in :)

I know this is not bear to the port but for anyone who may at any time want this info.

Sand Dunes in Bell Plaine is the place to get the absolute best Flying Fish and some other great local dishes. Bathsheba folk are known to fry the best Fish and they do. Trust me on this one because every time I think of it I want to eat it and I am not a fish person :)

Hi Sarah - You must be a Barbados local. I'll be there the first week of January '05 onboard the Dawn Princess. I want to snorkel Turtle Bay & the Berwyn. Princess's excursion is $64/ person. There are two of us. Any suggestions?

Also want to have time to eat some fine flying fish and other local dishes. I like your Sand Dunes @ Bell Plaine suggestion. How far is that from the cruise ship area, cost of a taxi is?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Archived