St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

Orient Beach is NOT a nude beach. Most people on it will be fully attired in bathing suits (although some of the women WILL be topless - that will be true of nearly all beaches on St Martin). Club Orient (a naturist resort) is situated at the extreme south end of Orient Beach. Nearly everyone there WILL be nude. Some of those nude people may decide to walk along the rest of Orient Beach. Therefore it is highly likely that you will see at least a few nude people on Orient Beach - however the vast majority of people WILL be clothed.

Hi Snoopy leogirl! Hope all is well in your beautiful home! We are coming on the 25th of January on the Carnival Legend for a return visit and cannot wait to see the beautification project! Anyway, I am hoping that you are able to help me. Can you tell me if Everyt'ing Cool is open again on Front Street and if not, what is a comparible place on the beach? Also, is that the part of town where the boardwalk runs? Thank you and we will visit your store!!!

Sharon

Hi,

I have a question for you about a hiking tour on your island. I can't find the information on the web-site because that part is under construction. I am told it is a hiking tour that shows the beauty of the mountains and wildlife. ANY HELP!!!! Thank you.

Laura

I have no idea about anything when it comes to tours since I really haven't taken any. Sorry, but this is something that I can least help you with. Try to run a search under St.Maarten Hiking Tours. Or check this out:

Shoretrips.com

Thanks for the great advice. Is there another beach close to port and shopping that we can go to then. We don't want to be too far away from the port.

THANKS!

Yes, there's Great bay beach and DIVI Little Bay beach. Great bay is the closest and its nice, though a bit crowded on days when there are lots of ships in port.

Thanks for the great advice Snoopy_Leogirl.... Ive heard that the Great Bay Beach hotel will re-open on Jan. 22nd. We should be in St. Maarten by 1/28. Is this still an option by then? Also from the pier are we coming into the beach from the east or west side? Are the facilities ok (Food, changing areas, drinks, beach chairs)?

For the use of the resort in Little Bay, do they charge outside guests? Can we get there using the water taxi? What kind of shopping is there?

Im so sorry for the endless questions. But i greatly appreciate all of your help.

Cynthia

Actually great bay beach resort is still closed. I just drove by there yesterday. Its still under renovations and i have no idea when it is scheduled to open.

DIVI is free. You can visit the beach but the only thing you pay for is food/drinks/beach umbrella and chair rentals (if you use them). YOu cannot get there by water taxi but by land taxi. There's not much shopping at DIVI compared to front street but DIVI has a jewelry store, a few gift shops, a coffe/internet cafe and a convenience store. Nice place.

I've tried to read most of your replies and thank you from all of us who are trying to get the most out of your beautiful home in a short period of time. My wonderful sister who has been working hard for the last couple of years on a nursing degree has asked me to visit the Dooney & Bourke outlet. I would like to put some toward what she is giving me to get her a bag for her upcoming graduation. Is there a D & B outlet in St Martin??? If so where would I find it???

There is NO Dooney and Bourke Outlet in St.Maarten but there is a store called 5th Avenue (Grand Bazaar) that sells D&B Bags.

Hi Snoopy leogirl! Hope all is well in your beautiful home! We are coming on the 25th of January on the Carnival Legend for a return visit and cannot wait to see the beautification project! Anyway, I am hoping that you are able to help me. Can you tell me if Everyt'ing Cool is open again on Front Street and if not, what is a comparible place on the beach? Also, is that the part of town where the boardwalk runs? Thank you and we will visit your store!!!

Sharon

Everything's Cool (according to me) is closed. The boardwalk runs from Greenhouse stretching all the way to the pier across from the court house. Its a beautiful walk. To me, there is nothing close that can substitute everythings cool, but try out taloula mango's on the boardwalk or this little french cafe in old street, the second one which is close to back street. They have a variety of fruit smoothies. Oh, and right by the Sint Rose Arcade, theres a snack bar across from Tommy Hilfiger that has fruit smoothies that are pretty good too. Enjoy!

Is kite boarding offered at any of the beaches? I have tried to use the search for any information on this subject and was not successful in finding any information. Snoopy_leogirl (or any one else) can you help me with this? Is it available? If so which beach? Cost?

Hi,

Is this feasible. We would like to take a taxi from the ship to Marigot to walk around, then taxi to Orient Beach, then taxi back to Front St. to shop. Do you think this is reasonable to do in one day. We will be there on Feb. 23 on the Caribbean Princess. Thanks for any info.

Is kite boarding offered at any of the beaches? I have tried to use the search for any information on this subject and was not successful in finding any information. Snoopy_leogirl (or any one else) can you help me with this? Is it available? If so which beach? Cost?

I don't think you will find any kite boarding here. I don't even know what that is. :o And, I have lived here for 21 years and never heard about it.

Sorry.

Hi,

Is this feasible. We would like to take a taxi from the ship to Marigot to walk around, then taxi to Orient Beach, then taxi back to Front St. to shop. Do you think this is reasonable to do in one day. We will be there on Feb. 23 on the Caribbean Princess. Thanks for any info.

It is feasible but you have to get a very early start (depending on what time your ship departs). If you had to skip out one option, skip the Orient Beach and choose another closer beach instead of that. Maybe Great Bay Beach or DIVI Little Bay beach. But, I still think that if you get off the ship by 9 a.m. you can taxi to the french side and walk for about 1 hour and head to Orient by noon. There, you can eat and swim etc. and leave by 2 p.m. If you go back to Ft. Street you can have a few hours to shop which should leave you enought time to get back to the ship. But really, it all depends on how much time you have here. And if I had to choose to skip something, it would be Orient beach.

First thanks for yur answer. You give the best advice and we are planning to stop by your father's store. One question I forgot am I better off taking a cab to get to Marigot, Orient Beach and back to Front St. or should I consider renting a car. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Snoopy, since you live there and know how crowded it gets with many ships in port, would you advise us to do the Lord Sheffield instead of the beaches since there are going to be seven ships in port on our day there? Also, is your father's shop on front street pretty close to the port? Our shopping time will be limited if we do the Lord Sheffield.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone rents vehicles equipped with a ramp or lift for wheelchairs? Are there any taxis equipped with one? Thanks for the help.

From what I know, I don't think there are any vehicles that can be rented that have a ramp. But I know for sure that there are some taxis equipped with ramps/lifts.

Hope this helps! :)

Snoopy -- can you assist me in my quest to obtain some method to contact Joyce Prince about her tour? We will be there in May and I hear she has a great tour. Earl

I'm sorry but I don't have any contact information for Joyce Prince. If I did, I could've helped you out. Sorry again.

Snoopy, since you live there and know how crowded it gets with many ships in port, would you advise us to do the Lord Sheffield instead of the beaches since there are going to be seven ships in port on our day there? Also, is your father's shop on front street pretty close to the port? Our shopping time will be limited if we do the Lord Sheffield.

Thanks!

From what I've heard, Lord Sheffield is a great tour! I would personally like to try it out myself. I would suggest you do the Lord Sheffield, and if you have time, check out the beaches. The beaches do get pretty crowded when there are many ships in port, hence Lord Sheffield would be better. My father's store is on Front Street which is about 15 minutes away from port. It's right by all the other shops.

:) Have a great vacation!

Snoopy,

I hope you can help me picture something in my head. We are scheduled to tender in St. Maarten.

We are also booked on the Lord Sheffield which is at Dock Maarten. Now our original directions to get to the Lord Sheffield was to take a "short walk towards town from where the cruise ships dock". I have no idea where the tender will bring us in. Can you tell me where the tender dock is in relation to where the Lord Sheffield is docked? Which way do we go? Thanks.

Snoopy Leogirl

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!:) :)

Although it took two days(we had a nor'easter and they were snow days) I've read all of your posts and I'm so excited.

There are 12 of us traveling (6 kids 4-7yrs) believe it or not, they last on a beach about an hour but not more than two.

Do you think it is possible to go to Orient Beach very early (we arrive at 8AM) for a couple of hours, take an Island Taxi Tour that would have lunch, then hit DIVI beach for a couple of hours and back to Front Street (Shoppers Paradise in particular;) ).

I would bet money that during the Taxi tour at least 3 of the kids nap which wouldn't be bad.

You mentioned a restaurant on Front Street that you can rent chairs on the beach and people will bring you food and drink. That might be the perfect place for lunch and THEN go to DIVI beach.

Thank you again for helping me make two days in the house with small children more than bearable!:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you for all of the wonderful information that you have provided for this forum. I just got back from our cruise with the Carnival Glory and I have to say that St. Maarten was my favorite island. While it may not be as lush as St. Thomas, I felt that the island was cleaner and more tourist friendly. The shopping right on the pier was great (bought an IPOD and paid too much but that is another story). Divi Little Bay Resort was wonderful. I highly recommend this beach. My 12 year old daughter and her cousins had a great time. The surf was lively and the scenery beautiful. Now just let us know when you set up a webstore so we can buy some things from you and your Dad.

Kathleen

Archived