St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

Hi,

I posted this on the "Favorite Caribbean Island" thread for NYUKAT, since he/she posted that they did this. But I'd appreciate any info. from anyone who would know. Just in case you don't read this, I'm going to open a new thread with the subject as Q's about Grand Case and Marigot, Please Help

>>We taxiied to Grand Case Beach Club for the day and checked out Marigot on the way back.<<

Hi NYUKAT,

This is, excatly, what we want to do! Could you please tell me how long it takes to get to Grand Case? And, how much it costs? Also, we want to stop at Marigot on the way back.....how much time does it take from GC to Marigot... and then, how much time back to the dock area? We'd also like to stop at the Dutch side on the way back to the cruise dock.

Also, we really want to find some fabulous French food, but, in researching this, it seems that most of the French restaurants are only open for dinner? Will we be able to find someplace? We want to find some great French food and have some drinks...drinks and food don't have to be at the same place. I'm sure we will stop for a drink at every stop! I've heard that the Marina area in GC is fun, pretty with lots of bars and restaurants? Is it? I think I've read that Grand Case has sort of a "main drag" for restaurants? Restaurant row? And know nothing of Marigot.. We really, really want to see all these spots. Stopped at St. Maarten, last year, same ship, Brilliance of the Seas, but only got as far as the shopping area at the dock.. I was really, really disappointed that we didn't get to go to town. From what I could see, St. Maarten is about to become my favorite Caribbean island! We will be there on Sunday, December 20th. Really, anything you could tell me about GC and Marigot would be much appreciated. The place looks absolutely, stunningly, beautiful!

Thank you,

EileenMcDonald@comcast.net

Snoopy Girl

Have a ? for you. Just read some posts for St. Maarten and wanted to see what your recommendation would be.

Do you recommend the Golden Eagle Catamaran ride or a private tour with Joan's Tours around the island???

There will be myself, husband and two daughters 16 and 14.

Just wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!

Laurie

snoopy_leogirl,

My husband and I will be in St Martin in Feb. Most likely we will rent a car...being as we like to go off and explore on our own. We have been to St Martin before...but it has been quite a few years. I have been to Orient beach...and frankly I have no desire to go back.

I notice by your other posts that you recommend Divi Beach....which sounds nice and we will probably check it out. Could you recommend another nice beach or two being as we like to beach hop. We like calm surf...sandy bottom vs. rocky, we don't like big crowds...nor do we care if there is food available. Reasonably priced drinks would be nice but not necessary being as sometimes we bring our own refreshments. We would like to pick up a bottle of wine and a baguette...maybe a little pate....so we could have a picinc on the beach. Where would be a good place to purchase these items....and is it OK to bring the bottle of wine to the beach? Most likely we would do this at one of the more secluded beaches.

Also what would be our best bet for off shore snorkling. We have our own equipment.

Now for my other non beach questions:

1. Do you know where we could find the best prices for Calvados?

2.What else is there to see and do on the island other than the beaches and the butterfly farm thats inexpensive or free. We like nice views...hiking....DH likes fishing. Is there anywhere he could fish from shore or from a dock or pier? He has a travel fishing pole.

Well I think that's about it for now anyway!

Sorry for so many questions...I guess I like to be prepared!

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

snoopy_leogirl,

I know this will be a weird question, but I'm trying to get an e-mail address for any Perfume shop in St. Martin (prefer Phillipsburg, it's closer to the ships) to contact to find out if my Mom's favorate perfume is available there or if we should bring some with us as a Christmas Gift. We'll be on the 12/21 sailing of the Carnival Legend and plan to do a little Christmas Shopping when we are there on Christmas Eve. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We'll be in St. Maarten on Wednesday, November 17th on the Caribbean Princess. We would like to meet up with some friends of ours who will be on vacation that week in St. Martin also. Can you recommend a fun beach bar near the Philipsburg cruise ship pier where we could meet? :confused: We would like to be within walking distance back to the ship.

Thanks, PAT

Okay, here's a few good ones:

Reggae Cafe, Taloula Mango and Kangaroo Court. All close to the pier, the closest one being Reggae Cafe (about a 10 minute walk from the ship or less). Taloula is on the Boardwalk and Kangaroo is in the courthouse alley.

First, thank you for doing this thred it will help a lot of people have a great time there.

For parasailing in orient beach do you have to book ahead of time (if yes how do you do this) or can you just go there and pay.

thanks

catie

I am almost positive that you can just go there and pay. But, as soon as you get there, go to a stall and pay or book right away so that you get the time slot that you want. Have Fun!

Hi,

I posted this on the "Favorite Caribbean Island" thread for NYUKAT, since he/she posted that they did this. But I'd appreciate any info. from anyone who would know. Just in case you don't read this, I'm going to open a new thread with the subject as Q's about Grand Case and Marigot, Please Help

>>We taxiied to Grand Case Beach Club for the day and checked out Marigot on the way back.<<

Hi NYUKAT,

This is, excatly, what we want to do! Could you please tell me how long it takes to get to Grand Case? And, how much it costs? Also, we want to stop at Marigot on the way back.....how much time does it take from GC to Marigot... and then, how much time back to the dock area? We'd also like to stop at the Dutch side on the way back to the cruise dock.

Also, we really want to find some fabulous French food, but, in researching this, it seems that most of the French restaurants are only open for dinner? Will we be able to find someplace? We want to find some great French food and have some drinks...drinks and food don't have to be at the same place. I'm sure we will stop for a drink at every stop! I've heard that the Marina area in GC is fun, pretty with lots of bars and restaurants? Is it? I think I've read that Grand Case has sort of a "main drag" for restaurants? Restaurant row? And know nothing of Marigot.. We really, really want to see all these spots. Stopped at St. Maarten, last year, same ship, Brilliance of the Seas, but only got as far as the shopping area at the dock.. I was really, really disappointed that we didn't get to go to town. From what I could see, St. Maarten is about to become my favorite Caribbean island! We will be there on Sunday, December 20th. Really, anything you could tell me about GC and Marigot would be much appreciated. The place looks absolutely, stunningly, beautiful!

Thank you,

EileenMcDonald@comcast.net

Sure, here's my suggestions for you:

To get to Grand Case will take you about 35 minutes or so. Its pretty far away but its a nice area. The cost, wow, I have no idea. However, I did some research and found this site that says a taxi to GC will cost about $16.

Taxi Fares and other info

But someone posted a link here a while ago about taxi costs on St.Maarten, try to find it. GC to Marigot is about a 15-18 minute drive. Finally, Marigot to the pier is about another 25-30 minutes or so. The marina area is not in GC but in Marigot. It has quite a variety of french cuisine, and several are open for lunch. My top pic is Tropicana and second choice would be Le Belle Epoque. Tropicana is a bit pricey but I don't think you'll regret it. le Belle Epoque is cheaper in comparison to Tropicana. Restaurant Row in GC is mainly opened only for dinner which is true. But it is a very nice and popular area. Try your best to get out of the pier. Front Street is the place to be for shopping. GC and Marigot are nice side trips to explore and I'm sure you will have fun.

Snoopy Girl

Have a ? for you. Just read some posts for St. Maarten and wanted to see what your recommendation would be.

Do you recommend the Golden Eagle Catamaran ride or a private tour with Joan's Tours around the island???

There will be myself, husband and two daughters 16 and 14.

Just wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!

Laurie

To be honest with you, I don't know much about either tour but I have heard of Golden Eagle more than Joan's. I think Golden Eagle is popular and I've heard good things about it from random people. Sounds like a safe bet but make sure you know how long it lasts, what you'll be doing and how much it costs.

Sorry I couldn't be a bigger help. :o

snoopy_leogirl,

I know this will be a weird question, but I'm trying to get an e-mail address for any Perfume shop in St. Martin (prefer Phillipsburg, it's closer to the ships) to contact to find out if my Mom's favorate perfume is available there or if we should bring some with us as a Christmas Gift. We'll be on the 12/21 sailing of the Carnival Legend and plan to do a little Christmas Shopping when we are there on Christmas Eve. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't think that any of the perfume shops here would have e-mail. But, I can get you phone numbers or I can personally go to a few of them and find out if you can tell me the name of the perfume. I work close to several perfume stores during my morning job so I don't mind doing some research for you. Post back up the name, no problem, and just give me a day or two and I will let you know. :D

snoopy_leogirl,

My husband and I will be in St Martin in Feb. Most likely we will rent a car...being as we like to go off and explore on our own. We have been to St Martin before...but it has been quite a few years. I have been to Orient beach...and frankly I have no desire to go back.

I notice by your other posts that you recommend Divi Beach....which sounds nice and we will probably check it out. Could you recommend another nice beach or two being as we like to beach hop. We like calm surf...sandy bottom vs. rocky, we don't like big crowds...nor do we care if there is food available. Reasonably priced drinks would be nice but not necessary being as sometimes we bring our own refreshments. We would like to pick up a bottle of wine and a baguette...maybe a little pate....so we could have a picinc on the beach. Where would be a good place to purchase these items....and is it OK to bring the bottle of wine to the beach? Most likely we would do this at one of the more secluded beaches.

Also what would be our best bet for off shore snorkling. We have our own equipment.

Now for my other non beach questions:

1. Do you know where we could find the best prices for Calvados?

2.What else is there to see and do on the island other than the beaches and the butterfly farm thats inexpensive or free. We like nice views...hiking....DH likes fishing. Is there anywhere he could fish from shore or from a dock or pier? He has a travel fishing pole.

Well I think that's about it for now anyway!

Sorry for so many questions...I guess I like to be prepared!

Thanks

CaribbeanCrazy

Let me say that your question was a huge challenge to answer. :) I guess it will really test my St.Maarten (SXM) knowledge. :o

okay, you said that you don't want to go back to Orient Beach. I think DIVI might be a great place for you since it isn't crowded and its sand-bottom. Other good suggestions: Friars Bay (never been there, but heard great things about the privacy and peacefulness there), Le Meridien and there are several beaches dotted along the Dutch Lowlands (past Cupecoy). Don't worry about names of the beaches, just look for roads that lead to the shore and you're pretty much guaranteed to find a beach. However, please don't visit a beach that seems completely deserted and always lock cars and don't leave any valuables in the car or visible for people to see at the beach. The best place to buy baguettes, pate and wine would be at either Le Grande Marche or at any of the French Gourmet shops on the French Side. Taking food and beverages at the beach is okay as long as its a secluded place and as long as you clean up and dispose waste in bins. Lots of times, the beach patrol gets angry when locals litter with food wrappers etc. LoL! ;)

Snorkeling is nice at DIVI but I'm not sure where else you can snorkel.

I wasn't exactly sure what calvados are but I'm assuming its an alcoholic beverage. :confused: Let me know exactly what you mean and I will try to tell you where you can find it. Sorry, I don't know. :o

Okay, I've seen many people fishing from the Great Salt Pond, the huge one dotting Philipsburg and also I've seen people at the Simpson Bay Bridge fishing so I think those might be good spots.

Nice places to visit for free or inexpensively can be the Pic Paradis. Its on the French Side and its the highest peak on the island. Also try the Fort on the French Side. For driving scenery, take a drive from the French Side to the Dutch Side using the Lowlands route or vice versa (Dutch to French via Lowlands). Beautiful route. Also, a nice drive is when you go to the Oyster Pond area. Very Pretty.

Hope I've helped.

Post back for any other questions.

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks alot for all the info. and suggestions. This will be of great help as I'm pretty sure we will be renting a car.

You mentioned staying away from completely deserted beaches...are there any in particular that you know we shouldn't go to. Also...will we be relatively safe if we drive to Pic Paradis. I have read that this area is sometimes known to have muggings. Don't worry we won't be leaving anything in our rental car....we learned the hard way when vacationing on the island of St Kitts. We had our video camera and some cash stolen out of the trunk of a rental car. They did it pretty fast. We had all of our stuff with us most of the day...but we decide to take a walk down the beach...and didn't want to carry everything with us so we locked it in the trunk. We were only gone for about 15mins. Didn't know it was gone untill we stopped at the side of the road...where there were some monkies...went in the trunk to get the camara to video them...and to our horror it was gone!

This was on a fairly deserted beach. That's why we didn't think we would have to worry about it. There was hardly anyone at this beach. Later we found out this beach was known to have many thefts.

Anyway...we do like to hang out where there's not alot of people...but we want to be safe. So any suggustion of places NOT to go would be appreciated also.

As for Calvados...it is a french liquor made from apples. We usually buy it in St. Thomas...but I thought it might be cheaper in St Martin being it's french. Sometimes my in-laws will bring back a bottle for my DH from France. He is the one who loves this liquor...not me. I don't like any kind of straight alcohol. yuk!!

Thanks Again Very Much!!!

CaribbeanCrazy

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks for the offer..............she's hooked on Calandre by Paco Raban (sp?) in any size spray I can get and it's getting harder and harder to find here. So any help you can give is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

If you want to drop me a line direct my e-mail is: lorna.tilson@lmco.com

Lorna,

Tomorrow is a local holiday on the Dutch Side so Friday, when I go to work, I will go to perfume shops and try to find what you want and will let you know how the search went. Hopefully I find it. :D

you mentioned a boardwalk...what do they have there and how far from the ship pier/docking is that? Just wondering if it's the same thing we have here in the States that we call by the same name.

Thanks!

The Boardwalk is a recent walkway that was constructed practically on the beach along half of Front Street. Its a very nice, scenic walk, its not too long. Basically, you walk, catch some sun rays, people watch, get drinks at the few bars/restaurants that are dotted along the way. There's a few shops too. Its just new and nice. It starts at Greenhouse and ends at the small pier where boats tender tourists to the ships that are anchored. Yes, it actually is a Boardwalk except its a concrete walkway on land not over the water and its not wooden.

What would a taxi for 3 cost from the pier to Bikini Bar on Orient Beach?

Also, how much does it cost to rent beach chairs?

Do you know how much a beach massage costs?

Thank you!

A taxi costs about $20. Taxi Fares I think that it would easily accommodate 3 people for that price. But I know that sometimes people try to go in bigger groups so that they can pay a cheaper fare per person. I think beach chairs cost around $10-$15 for the day. I am guessing but I think I am pretty much on target. I didn't know that they had beach massages here but it shouldn't cost that much. I am not sure though. Sorry.

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks alot for all the info. and suggestions. This will be of great help as I'm pretty sure we will be renting a car.

You mentioned staying away from completely deserted beaches...are there any in particular that you know we shouldn't go to. Also...will we be relatively safe if we drive to Pic Paradis. I have read that this area is sometimes known to have muggings. Don't worry we won't be leaving anything in our rental car....we learned the hard way when vacationing on the island of St Kitts. We had our video camera and some cash stolen out of the trunk of a rental car. They did it pretty fast. We had all of our stuff with us most of the day...but we decide to take a walk down the beach...and didn't want to carry everything with us so we locked it in the trunk. We were only gone for about 15mins. Didn't know it was gone untill we stopped at the side of the road...where there were some monkies...went in the trunk to get the camara to video them...and to our horror it was gone!

This was on a fairly deserted beach. That's why we didn't think we would have to worry about it. There was hardly anyone at this beach. Later we found out this beach was known to have many thefts.

Anyway...we do like to hang out where there's not alot of people...but we want to be safe. So any suggustion of places NOT to go would be appreciated also.

As for Calvados...it is a french liquor made from apples. We usually buy it in St. Thomas...but I thought it might be cheaper in St Martin being it's french. Sometimes my in-laws will bring back a bottle for my DH from France. He is the one who loves this liquor...not me. I don't like any kind of straight alcohol. yuk!!

Thanks Again Very Much!!!

CaribbeanCrazy

I am glad that you were able to tell me what calvados is. Okay, beaches that you should stay away from might be Mullet Bay because especially on weekdays, it seems pretty deserted. Another beach to stay away from would be Le Galion. Also seems pretty deserted to me. Those two are my main "stay aways" but before you go anywhere, just see if there are people around and you should be just fine. Also, private beaches that are a part of hotels are usually very safe, like DIVI. No problem there.

Calvados- try the French Side. Ask around that area. Also, visit gourmet shops in Marigot. Thats your best bet. Also, as a last resort, try Le Grande Marche supermarket. They sell lots of varieties of liquer etc so you might find it there. Good luck with it. The thing with Pic Paradis is this: the best time to go is probably on the weekend when there are more visitors there. Also, don't ever go too early in the morning or after 4 or 4:30 p.m. It gets dark and that's the time when you are most likely to get mugged. But really, its not as bad as you may have heard. Also, when you park, make sure you park near other cars and make sure you don't wander away too far from your car.

I am so sorry about your bad experience in St.Kitts. It happens. My mom once lost a wallet years ago in Miami. She's not sure if she got robbed or if it fell out of her purse but she lost all her cash and credit cards etc.

I hope you have a great trip out to our island and be safe. :D

snoopy_leogirl,

Thank you soooooooo much for all the information you have given me and the others on this site. You are so nice and you try and answer every question throughly. Thanks Again for the voucher!!! I will make sure we leave enough time in our day to visit your dad's store. Who knows maybe you will be there the day we visit....and I will be able to meet and thank you in person!!!

Take Care

CaribbeanCrazy

A while back you said you would try to find out about everythings cool beach club, to see if it was closed perm or just temp. Are the other beach clubs in that area still open? Do they still rent chairs and lounges and do the still bring food and drinks to you while you are enjoying the sun? Thanks for the response

snoopy leogirl,

Greetings from another Leo!

I've read questions and replies on your post with much interest. I've also posted the following on Chris' board:

We are arriving for our first visit to St. Martin on the Sun Princess on Jan 12 along with 9 other ships. We usually like to book independent tours or do the taxi/tour. With 10 boats in port that sounds like a traffic nightmare. Boat excursions don't let you see the max in our opinion. We like to experience some of the island and some beach. HELP!!!!

What would your suggestion for us. We are in port from 7A - 6P.

Thanks!

First off I just wanted to thank you, Snoopy_Leogirl, for all your wonderful advice. We will be in St Martin in a couple weeks and can't decide between Orient Beach and Divi. One of the main things everyone in my group is looking for is parasailing. I read in one of your answers parasailing is offered at Orient Beach but is it also offered at Divi? Also, do you know the approximate cost to parasail?

[quote name='roscoesdream']A while back you said you would try to find out about everythings cool beach club, to see if it was closed perm or just temp. Are the other beach clubs in that area still open? Do they still rent chairs and lounges and do the still bring food and drinks to you while you are enjoying the sun? Thanks for the response[/QUOTE]

I know that there's a particular spot at the boardwalk (on Front Street) that has a restaurant that has chairs and stuff on the beach and they can serve you on the sand. They also have like these sofa-like things to sit on and many people sip drinks out there in the evenings a lot so I think they probably have a similar service as everythings cool. You'll find it in the boardwalk right on the opposite side of Taloula Mango (which also happens to be a great place!)

Archived