St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

leogirl-

I just noticed from your other post that you were on the Superstar Leo/ NCL Spirit. There were lots of icebergs in Sawyer Glacier that time of year. We were on that same Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in late May. My friend Phyllis has an afternoon program/slot on Oasis; you probably have heard her show if you've ever listened to the station (Mark's Place has that station on all the time).

We might be coming to SXM in November (if we can resolve our work and vacation scheduling conflicts) . If so, we'll stop by your dad's shop to look for you.

I loved that cruise to Alaska! What an experience! Aah...

If you do come here, stop by the store if you can. I will be so glad to meet you or anyone else from these message boards.

Take Care and Good Luck with the schedules.

snoopy_leogirl,

What does your store look like? You described the street but not your store. Does your store show up in any of the pictures on this web-site? frontstreetsxm.com Just want to make sure I visit your store when I am there. Thank you so much for all the info. you have given all of us.

Sorry I didn't describe the store. But we're kinda on one of those pictures from that site. We're in the picture labeled "Holland House Hotel". If you look at the picture, you will see two canopies on the left hand side, a blue one and a green one. We are right across the street from there, but further up the road, where you see that closed off section that looks kinda messy. Voila!

Hi-I leave in 2 days on the Carnival Triumph. We are planning on going to Divi and doing some shopping. Is there some shopping within walking distance of the ship? Will it be easy to find a taxi to take us to Divi and then one to pick us up later? Thanks!!!

There's quite a bit of shopping at the cruise port, right outside, a few minute walk away from the ship. There are several shops, restaurants, restrooms etc. You should be okay with this shopping but if you're a shopping freak, visit Front Street which is about a 15 minute walk from the port. Taxi's to DIVI are no problem at all. About a 10 minute drive from port. Even Taxi's from DIVI are no problem at all because its a hotel/timeshare resort so the front desk can call you a cab.

Have Fun! DIVI is a great place!

Hi LeoGirl-

We'll be in SXM during the week of St Maarten day. We have an extra day in SXM due to the lack of a good return flight. The hotels we and some of our friends have stayed at are Mullet Bay (in the late 1980s), the Towers at Mullet Bay, Pelican, Royal islander, Maho Hotel, Port de Plaissance, Nettle Bay, and Le Meridian. Considering the Orient Beach area this time for a one night stay. Have you heard anything about Palm Court, Jardin de Chevrise, Cap Caraibes or St. Tropez des Caraibes?

You said your dad's shop is 2 stores away from the Ralph Lauren store near Olde Street. Is it accross the street from Last Mango in Paradise, on the side towards the mountain (as opposed to towards Great Bay Hotel)?

I'll be bringing some of my NCL Alaska Cruise photos (and my pooping moose) to show my friend. Maybe we can get together. Hopefully your dad's shop will be open by then (I know all about island time).

Hi LeoGirl-

We'll be in SXM during the week of St Maarten day. We have an extra day in SXM due to the lack of a good return flight. The hotels we and some of our friends have stayed at are Mullet Bay (in the late 1980s), the Towers at Mullet Bay, Pelican, Royal islander, Maho Hotel, Port de Plaissance, Nettle Bay, and Le Meridian. Considering the Orient Beach area this time for a one night stay. Have you heard anything about Palm Court, Jardin de Chevrise, Cap Caraibes or St. Tropez des Caraibes?

You said your dad's shop is 2 stores away from the Ralph Lauren store near Olde Street. Is it accross the street from Last Mango in Paradise, on the side towards the mountain (as opposed to towards Great Bay Hotel)?

I'll be bringing some of my NCL Alaska Cruise photos (and my pooping moose) to show my friend. Maybe we can get together. Hopefully your dad's shop will be open by then (I know all about island time).

Sorry, never ever heard of Palm Court, Jardin de Chevrise, Cap Caraibes or St. Tropez des Caraibes.

I think you have the wrong location in mind. Old Street is located close to Lipstick/Polo/ Colombian Emeralds and not far from Tommy Hilfiger.

Enjoy your visit here. I am not sure I can meet you (because I have two part time jobs) but you can stop by the store for sure.

Considering the Orient Beach area this time for a one night stay. Have you heard anything about Palm Court, Jardin de Chevrise, Cap Caraibes or St. Tropez des Caraibes?

All of these hotels (or villas) are located at or very near to Orient Beach. You can't go wrong with any of them. For detailed information go to these websites:

Palm Court or additional info.

Jardin de Chevrise is near Mt. Vernon at the north end of Orient.

Cap Caraibes or additional info. (This is a highly popular accomodation for US visitors).

St. Tropez des Caraibes overlooks Orient.

Orient is 1.5 miles long with lots of beach bars. Just walk down the beach and pick one you like from these:

Papayago (nudie section)

Club Orient (nudie section)

Pedro's

La Salsa

BayWatch

Pirate (white & blue)

TropiCafe (burned)

Continent

Paradiso Beach

Fiesta Mexicana

KonTiki (red/white)

Kakao Beach

Bikini Beach

La Playa

Waikiki Beach (red)

Coco (lite blue)

BooBoo Jam

kal-

Thanks for the great links. I booked Cap Caraibes because it was closer to the beach. I remember the days when the only hotel on that beach was the nudist resort at the far end and there was only one snackbar. How things have changed...

Is there snorkeling at Little Bay Beach or Simpson Bay? If so, which one is better? And if not, where could we find some?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't been to Simpson Bay beach in years so I really don't know about what kinds of activities they have. As for DIVI, I know that lots of people snorkel there. I think it should be nice because of the really clean water in the surrounding area. DIVI sounds good to me. :D

Snoopy-leogirl

I copied the following directions to your dad's store:

2 stores away from the Ralph Lauren store near Olde Street. Is it accross the street from Last Mango in Paradise, on the side towards the mountain (as opposed to towards Great Bay Hotel)

Is this on Front Street? Is there a 'number'? Is there a sign with a name? (I'm determined to find it when we're there on Friday, Nov. 26! I know you're busy with your jobs; but, hope to meet you and your dad!)

Your help has been wonderful!

Dolores Moreu

snoopy-leogirl,

thanks for answering all these questions. you are quite a wealth of information!

we'll be in st maarten in about 2 weeks, and i still haven't finalized our plans for the day. can you give any suggestions for a kid-friendly beach that is relatively close to the cruise ship pier?

we're traveling with a 3 year old and a 6 month old - i was looking for a place with soft white sand, clear calm water, and some shade for the baby. i wanted to stay near the ship for the convenience, and because i'm worried about taking taxis without car seats!

thanks!

We will be at Sint Maarten, Friday, Nov. 26. In the morning, we will be taking a HAL tour. I would like to spend the afternoon on Front Street strolling and shopping with a definite visit to your dad's store planned! My question is: are there any restaurants on - or right off - Front St. (ie not needing to take a taxi) that might serve lobster for lunch? Want to give hubby something to look forward to ... lol ... because shopping isn't a real thrill for him! Also, do you know anything about the rijstaffel at Wajang Doll restaurant? Thanks for your help. Dolores

I will be back online tomorrow evening to reply your questions.

I am having trouble with the Internet today. Its quite slow because of the cloudy weather we're having. I promise to answer your questions asap. I hope this message gets added, I'm really trying to get it on.

Till Tomorrow. :)

Snoopy-leogirl

I copied the following directions to your dad's store:

2 stores away from the Ralph Lauren store near Olde Street. Is it accross the street from Last Mango in Paradise, on the side towards the mountain (as opposed to towards Great Bay Hotel)

Is this on Front Street? Is there a 'number'? Is there a sign with a name? (I'm determined to find it when we're there on Friday, Nov. 26! I know you're busy with your jobs; but, hope to meet you and your dad!)

Your help has been wonderful!

Dolores Moreu

The store is not anywhere near last mango in paradise. It is right across the street from Colombian Emeralds/Omni Jewelers. Its #43 but just look for a sign that says Shopper's Paradise. You will be meeting my dad for sure but me, I am not sure.

Snoopy-leogirl,

Does your dad's store carry and 2X or 3X t-shirts? If not, do you know of any Phillipsburg stores that do? Thanks for your help.

Dolores

My dad carries 2x most of the time but I don't think we have 3x. But I think several other stores on the street should have 3x.

snoopy-leogirl,

thanks for answering all these questions. you are quite a wealth of information!

we'll be in st maarten in about 2 weeks, and i still haven't finalized our plans for the day. can you give any suggestions for a kid-friendly beach that is relatively close to the cruise ship pier?

we're traveling with a 3 year old and a 6 month old - i was looking for a place with soft white sand, clear calm water, and some shade for the baby. i wanted to stay near the ship for the convenience, and because i'm worried about taking taxis without car seats!

thanks!

Okay, I think these are your two best options.

We have one beach that is behind Front Street, and it is pretty long so you can pick any spot. However, the problem with that beach is that you will have very little privacy since its so publicly opened. The good thing about this beach is that it is only a walk away from the pier.

On the other hand, DIVI Little Bay Beach is a short taxi ride away (about 10 minutes) but it is a very cozy and private beach, with shade and calm water. I think that you will prefer DIVI because of the serenity and privacy but you have to take a taxi to get there but it is only 8-10 minutes away from the pier by car.

Good Luck Picking and enjoy!

We will be at Sint Maarten, Friday, Nov. 26. In the morning, we will be taking a HAL tour. I would like to spend the afternoon on Front Street strolling and shopping with a definite visit to your dad's store planned! My question is: are there any restaurants on - or right off - Front St. (ie not needing to take a taxi) that might serve lobster for lunch? Want to give hubby something to look forward to ... lol ... because shopping isn't a real thrill for him! Also, do you know anything about the rijstaffel at Wajang Doll restaurant? Thanks for your help. Dolores

I have never been to the Wajang Doll but it is at least a 15-20 minute drive from the pier. I am not sure if they are opened for lunch but they might be. If you want for me to find out, I can call and ask, no problem. Just let me know. Other great restaurants that I believe serve lobster are Chesterfields and Greenhouse. Both are very close to the pier and are only about a 5-10 minute walk. Greenhouse is especially more popular.

Post back if you have any other questions or requests.

Leogirl!!!!!! Tell your dad to get the store open by the 10th!!!!!!!! We are doing the Joyce tour and saving plenty of time to check out the store!

Oh I wish we had the control to open whenever we wanted. We can't though. We are actually waiting for the store's expansion to be complete and for the renovation to finish before we open. The 10th of November sounds too early for us to be open. I wish we will be opened.

Here's the best thing I can tell you. Pass by the store and see if you see someone in, if you do, you can probably come in and look around and make sure that you tell them about the coupon and go ahead and pick your free gift. :D We'll try our best to accommodate you even though the store might be a mess.

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks so much for your offer to call and check if they'll be open for lunch Friday, Nov. 26th. We really love rijstaffel; but, oh, that lobster (and, more time for shopping ... lol!!!) is calling me, too!!!

Dolores

Archived