St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

crsshiplover and pittypat and anyone else interested in the Family and Friends taxi thingy, it sounds good to me. Also, take kal's advice and contact that person. Pick which one is cheaper, more worth your value, and worthwhile according to what you want to do.

Thats the best advice I can give you.

Contact Joyce Prince at St. Maarten. She provides or arranges all kinds of services. Check out her website then send her an email message from the site to see if she's available. She's a really great person!

Joyce sounds like a great person. We haven't actually met yet, but we have booked her for the whole day while on St. Maarten in Nov.

I am so looking forward to meeting her. I have read many good recommendations for her and never anything bad about her.

My wife and I will be on St Maarten in January and are looking for a place to have lunch after we are done shopping. We really prefer some place where casual dress in accepted, and would love to find a place with fresh seafood and/or food with a "local" flavor reasonably priced. Anything come to mind? Where would you normally have lunch? Many thanks for your response. B&P

Is St Martin the best place to shop? I am interested in some jewelry and soveniers for my kids and Mom. We will also be visiting St Thomas and Naussu.

Not to brag or anything, but I have always been told by numerous tourists that they think that St.Maarten is THE best place to shop for souvenirs, t-shirts, jewelry, electronics etc. When I really think about it, I do think that we have some of the best shopping in the Caribbean.

My wife and I will be on St Maarten in January and are looking for a place to have lunch after we are done shopping. We really prefer some place where casual dress in accepted, and would love to find a place with fresh seafood and/or food with a "local" flavor reasonably priced. Anything come to mind? Where would you normally have lunch? Many thanks for your response. B&P

If I were to look for something casual, delicious and local, I would eat at Mark's Place. It is a place that is located in the Le Grand Marche Shopping Mall. Its a nice restaurant that serves great local-ish food and reasonable prices. Also, if you are on Front Street, you can visit several of the local restaurants that are located close to the beach side. And if you happen to have lunch on the French Side, it may be a bit more expensive but you can eat at any of the restaurants at the marina. They are good. Here's my two favs from there: Tropicana and Le Belle Epoque. All of these places are casual eating...don't worry about it.

Going to St. Martin in Nov. on Maasdam. Can I get a snorkel trip from Orient Beach? Husband doesn't like to snorkel. We just want to spend the day on a beach and I would like to snorkel.

Susan

I am not too sure about this. I think that the fact that Orient Beach is so big and popular, they should have snorkeling but I am not 100% sure about that since I haven't been there in like a year (believe it or not!). I will try to find out for you and post back here ASAP. I will try to research it and let you know.

Just returned from the Explorer of the Seas. My favorite place of all ports was the beach at the Grand Case Beach Club. We liked it so much, we're ready to plan a land vacation there. Not large or crowded, but great atmosphere on a beautiful beach. Food was amazing and loved the pool area as well. Didn't get a chance to walk into Grand Case and sample the French cuisine, but planning on it for next time.

We did not go to Orient Beach because we were interested in something off the beaten path that would not be crowded with loads of other cruisers. The folks at the Beach Club made us feel very welcome for the day.

Can't wait to go again...we fell in love with this place.

Kathy

How far was the taxi ride to the club and did you have to pay for a day room to use the property things, as well as the beach? I have children with me on our cruise, would this be a choice thing to go do?

Jennifer:rolleyes:

When we are on the island, we eat at Mark's Place at least twice during the week. I have not been to my timeshare since 2002 but if I recall correctly, there is a supermarket and a post office in that same area. It's a short taxi ride from downtown Phillipsburg (providing traffic is not insane).

leogirl - I agree with the assesment on island life. I was originally from Curacao. I have a friend in sxm who works at a radio station (Oasis 98.1?) and she tells me that people from the States often think living on an island is much more glamorous than it really is. Although the pace is more relaxed, she misses the museums, culture and shopping malls of North America.

Thanks Snoopy Leogirl for your reply,...could you please tell me where "Le Grand Marche" shopping mall is located and how to get there. Also, how do we finds your fathers' place of business? Thanks again, B&P

Le Grande Marche is about 10-12 minutes away by car/taxi from the cruise port. Its on Bush Road which is a central local commercial area. You will find there a big supermarket, photo store, Burger King, Subway, American Airlines office, drugstore, bank etc.

My father's business is located across from Old Street on Front Street two stores away from Polo Ralph Lauren, but we're closed till early November.

Snoopy, can you post some pics of your dad's store? and the surrounding area?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Front Street where my dad's store is. Let me describe it to you though. The street is basically a longgg street where you will find hundreds of retail businesses selling: t-shirts, souvenirs, local crafts, electronics, jewelry, liquer and other goods. You name it, we have it. ;) The street is currently under renovation and it looks good. Its still under renovations though. They've planted nice palm trees, new sidewalks and hopefully the end result is nice. There are also numerous restaurants, picture taking opportunities/spots and the like.

How far was the taxi ride to the club and did you have to pay for a day room to use the property things, as well as the beach? I have children with me on our cruise, would this be a choice thing to go do?

Jennifer:rolleyes:

Hopefully NYUKat can help you with this since I really haven't been to Grand Case's club but the taxi ride will be about 25-30 minutes. I don't know anything else. Sorry about that. :o

When we are on the island, we eat at Mark's Place at least twice during the week. I have not been to my timeshare since 2002 but if I recall correctly, there is a supermarket and a post office in that same area. It's a short taxi ride from downtown Phillipsburg (providing traffic is not insane).

leogirl - I agree with the assesment on island life. I was originally from Curacao. I have a friend in sxm who works at a radio station (Oasis 98.1?) and she tells me that people from the States often think living on an island is much more glamorous than it really is. Although the pace is more relaxed, she misses the museums, culture and shopping malls of North America.

Nice, Curacao? I have been there a few times. Nice place! The radio station you are talking about is Oasis 96.3 fm. You are right. Living here is very laid back and boring most of the time but the night life isn't that bad, as you said. I guess after being here for 21 years like me, you eventually get used to it. I personally prefer a medium sized city.

leogirl-

I just noticed from your other post that you were on the Superstar Leo/ NCL Spirit. There were lots of icebergs in Sawyer Glacier that time of year. We were on that same Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in late May. My friend Phyllis has an afternoon program/slot on Oasis; you probably have heard her show if you've ever listened to the station (Mark's Place has that station on all the time).

We might be coming to SXM in November (if we can resolve our work and vacation scheduling conflicts) . If so, we'll stop by your dad's shop to look for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Front Street where my dad's store is. Let me describe it to you though. The street is basically a longgg street where you will find hundreds of retail businesses selling: t-shirts, souvenirs, local crafts, electronics, jewelry, liquer and other goods. You name it, we have it. ;) The street is currently under renovation and it looks good. Its still under renovations though. They've planted nice palm trees, new sidewalks and hopefully the end result is nice. There are also numerous restaurants, picture taking opportunities/spots and the like.

Thanks, Snoopy pick us out some good tee shirts. We will find you early Nov.

gands cruising-

St Maarten/St Martin does not have the best snorkeling. At Orient Beach, there may be some outfits that will take you on a motorboat out to Pinel Island or one of those small islands accross from the beach but the water may be a bit deep. If you've snorkelled in Hawaii, Bonaire, or other islands known for underwater diversity - St Maarten will be disappointing.

Hi-I leave in 2 days on the Carnival Triumph. We are planning on going to Divi and doing some shopping. Is there some shopping within walking distance of the ship? Will it be easy to find a taxi to take us to Divi and then one to pick us up later? Thanks!!!

snoopy_leogirl,

What does your store look like? You described the street but not your store. Does your store show up in any of the pictures on this web-site? frontstreetsxm.com Just want to make sure I visit your store when I am there. Thank you so much for all the info. you have given all of us.

Archived