St.Maarten Help Thread -- part 2

snoopy_leogirl

Boyfriend and I are cruising with my family on the CP New Year's Cruise and we are wondering what to do while in St. Martin. i have been to Orient beach a few times, he has never been to the island.

We are in our mid-twenties, athletic, looking for some exploration, maybe renting a jeep or motorcycle (my Dad might kill us!!!), and explore some beaches, we like to drink, love fun bars... we are not big shoppers or eaters, like drinks, good music, nice beaches...any suggestions? sorry this is a bit vague, but we just are not sure what there is???

I just read about some significant street construction near the port. Do you have any idea how long that's planned for?
I too recently learned about the road construction/beautification project. I still have time to change my plans about renting a car since nothing has been finalized so perhaps you could answer a few questions. It appears the area closest to the cruise ship pier is done or very near completion.

Am I correct in assuming only small sections are being worked on at a time to contain the detours and disrruption? Are alternate traffic routes marked? Or in other words is a visitor likely to end up going the wrong way on a one street (if there are one way streets)?

I read somewhere that the parking situation is horrible on the island. I'm not sure if that was a generalized statement or in fact referred to specific areas. Are there designated parking lots ? If so where in P'burg, and where near Orient Beach?

I know they seem like silly questions I'm still juggling the taxi/rental issue, so you really could help me make up my mind ... never an easy matter. Thanks!

The project only involves Front Street which runs thru Philipsburg. All other streets including the route from the Cruiseship Pier to anywhere else on the island will be fine. Since you would not normally drive down Front Street, it won't disrupt your driving. Not to worry.

IF you need to park in Philipsburg there will be many parking lots between Front Street and the Salt Pond. For some you pay while others are free.

Parking at Orient Beach is free. Parking spots are always available, but shady spots are usually taken by noon.

Hello Snoopy_Leogirl - I first want to say I hope all is well with you and your family in St. Thomas after Jeanne has left you. By the way are you a Leo also, awesome if you are...:D

My question I had put on the other board but I think you got overwhelm is regarding the Helicopter tours. Are the worth the money and is there a lot to see?

Thanks and stay dry....

Deb

Boyfriend and I are cruising with my family on the CP New Year's Cruise and we are wondering what to do while in St. Martin. i have been to Orient beach a few times, he has never been to the island.

We are in our mid-twenties, athletic, looking for some exploration, maybe renting a jeep or motorcycle (my Dad might kill us!!!), and explore some beaches, we like to drink, love fun bars... we are not big shoppers or eaters, like drinks, good music, nice beaches...any suggestions? sorry this is a bit vague, but we just are not sure what there is???

Here are a few suggestions for you:

-Visit DIVI Little Bay beach. It is a nice beach, not too crowded like Orient is. Also, they have lots of water sport activities. Banana boating, jet-skiing, scuba diving, kayaking etc. We always have a nice time there. Its much different than Orient Beach though. Its smaller and more quiet but more private and yet you still see people at the same time, its very laid back.

-Go to the French Side and take a walk around Marigot and then be sure to walk along the waterfront and marina. Lots of boats, people, restaurants run along these places. And since you said that you are athletic, take a walk up the Fort on the French Side. You can see it from the waterfront. It has beautiful views 360 degrees around from there.

-Go go Sunset Beach bar. It is located right at the beginning of the airport landing strip. It is right next to the beach and has a great atmosphere, great drinks and snacks and you can watch the planes landing pretty close to you. Its a good experience. Sometimes they even have live music.

-No trip to St.Maarten is complete without walking on Front Street. Mainly its for shopping, but I think you'll like the walk. There's lots of people on the street when we have more than 2 ships. Its a nice atmosphere. Hopefully the street will be clean and ready by the time you get here. Now, the street is a mess because of a beautification process. Its full of sand and its messy.

Have Fun!

Opps, we are on the opposite end, lol. We just want to go to Orient beach and enjoy the day. Nudity is ok for us; we want good water, food, and drink, any suggestions?? Thanks

Orient Beach may just be the ticket for you. It sounds perfect to me for you. You'll find plenty of restaurants/bars, rest rooms, beach chairs, water sports, and other activities. Practically anything and everything you will need while you visit there. Water's great too!

Enjoy!

Post back for any other questions.

I just read about some significant street construction near the port. Do you have any idea how long that's planned for?

Street construction of Front Street is rumored to last at least until the end of November/or even run into December. I hope that it finishes before but to be honest with you, I don't think they'll finish before. However, all the shopping is opened. Only thing, its just a bit messy because of all of the sand on the street.

Do the water taxis still drop you off near downtown? If I recall, the walk isn't too long from there to Front St. Correct?

Actually, if you are being tendered, you end up at the Court House. This drop off location is exactly in the center of Front Street. Its the perfect location. If you go to the right, you will find stores and same goes for the left too. All of that street is Front Street.

Hello Snoopy_Leogirl - I first want to say I hope all is well with you and your family in St. Thomas after Jeanne has left you. By the way are you a Leo also, awesome if you are...:D

My question I had put on the other board but I think you got overwhelm is regarding the Helicopter tours. Are the worth the money and is there a lot to see?

Thanks and stay dry....

Deb

Thanks Deb. Jeanne was baddddd in terms of rainfall. Today, it has rained every minute of the whole day. In the evening it got bad! It thundered, it got cold and very very wet. As I type this to you, its still raining. But I think its safe to say that the worst of Jeanne is over. Phew. Yes, I am a leo, born in August. Nice to speak to a fellow leo.

As for the question that you asked, I think you are mistaken. There are absolutely no helicopter tours on St.Maarten. I am almost 100% sure about this. However, I did do a seaplane tour in Alaska which was amazing and worth every penny and it is very similar to a helicopter, only difference is that is lands in the water.

Hope this helps.

Post back with more questions if you'd like. :D

Hi Snoopy Leogirl...

We are going to St. Maartin via cruise ship on Oct.23. I wanted to go to Dawn beach for the snorkeling, but my friends all want to go to Orient beach. What is your opinion about Dawn Beach vs. Orient Beach? Also, on Orient Beach, which beach bar has the water trampoline. Is the Bikini Beach Bar in a good spot?

Thanks for any info.

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

Thank you for all your helpful answers. We will be visiting St. Maarten for the first time in November on the Adventure of the Seas. I am looking for some recommendations for a private tour company. I would like to take a tour of Marigot and spend some time on a lovely beach and maybe some shopping if there's time. I am not comfortable renting a car myself, so any info on hiring someone would be appreciated!! Thanks again for your advice!

I hope things are starting to dry out after Jeanne!

What can anyone tell me about a tour called "Family and Friends Fun for the Day" that is advertised here: http://www.sxmtaxi.com/family&friends.htm

There are six of us trying to decide what we want to do, we know we want to do some shopping on both the Dutch and French sides, hit the Guavaberry place, go to Maho Beach to watch the planes, and not sure what else. We would like a good tour of the island that will be with a local and informative, rather than just driving us around. Any ideas or comments? Thanks.

Wow, learned alot from you, thanks

I've heard that St. Maarten is a good place to buy loose gemstones. Can you recommend a store. mems

Sorry I haven't been online to answer questions in the past few days.

Loose stones you can find at almost any good reputed jewelry store. I can guarantee you that almost any store here that sells jewelry and has been around for a while, will sell you a good stone making it worthwhile. Diamonds International, Joes Jewelry are two of the bigger stores that sell lots of jewelry. But, there are also tons of smaller stores that sell jewelry and loose stones too on Front Street.

Good Luck!

Hi Snoopy Leogirl...

We are going to St. Maartin via cruise ship on Oct.23. I wanted to go to Dawn beach for the snorkeling, but my friends all want to go to Orient beach. What is your opinion about Dawn Beach vs. Orient Beach? Also, on Orient Beach, which beach bar has the water trampoline. Is the Bikini Beach Bar in a good spot?

Thanks for any info.

I think your decision should be based on what type of a beach atmosphere you prefer. Dawn beach is rather quiet, peaceful, serene and away from it all. Orient beach is louder, more crowded, people watching etc. Personally, I prefer Orient because I have been there so many times. Both beaches have nice clear water, clean sand etc. Don't worry about that. The water trampoline is set up in two parts of the beach at Orient (I think). However, going from Bikini, to Kontiki to Kakao etc is very quick...just a 5 minute walk between the beaches since they are all connected. Bikini beach bar, if my memory serves me correct should be a nice spot. But if you get bored there, you can walk elsewhere and find another nice spot.

Have Fun!

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

Thank you for all your helpful answers. We will be visiting St. Maarten for the first time in November on the Adventure of the Seas. I am looking for some recommendations for a private tour company. I would like to take a tour of Marigot and spend some time on a lovely beach and maybe some shopping if there's time. I am not comfortable renting a car myself, so any info on hiring someone would be appreciated!! Thanks again for your advice!

I hope things are starting to dry out after Jeanne!

You can simply hire a taxi for the day or for half a day. Most taxi's would charge you by the hour I think and you can ask them to drive you anywhere you want and they will wait for you too. I think this is the best idea for you. Especially if you are with a group of people, you can do this and you will have fun without the hassle of driving yourself.

Archived