Amsterdam on your own...what did you do?

kruzin'

We will be arriving on the Crown Princess on May 19 from 9 - 8. I have my heart set on Keukenhof Gardens but I worry that the flowers will be past their prime that late in the season. If they are finished by then, do you have any other ideas on what my friend and I can do on our own.

Thanks

Besides seeing the various attractions in Amsterdam itself, you might take a bus to the Zaanse Schans, a model village of years gone by where they give demonstrations about making cheese, wooden shoes and you can climb the inside of one of several windmills that are still operational. For some details, pictures, etc go to http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam1.html

Otherwise drop me a note for other details.

We will be arriving on the Crown Princess on May 19 from 9 - 8. I have my heart set on Keukenhof Gardens but I worry that the flowers will be past their prime that late in the season. If they are finished by then, do you have any other ideas on what my friend and I can do on our own.

Thanks

I assume your ship will dock in Rotterdam, not Amsterdam - as most Princess ships do.

Keukenhof does replanting, but May 19 is rather late in the season. Also because spring in NL is warmer than usual. That means flowers bloom earlier.

Have you considered going to Delft, which is not too far from Rotterdam?

It is a short trainride from Rotterdam.

Check the website of Mr. *****, he also has some detailed walking tours in Delft as well as in Rotterdam.

http://www.*****.com/travel2.htm

I am considering taking an unlocked quad band GSM cell phone on our Baltics cruise.

Since we are starting with three days in Amsterdam, I'd like to pick up a low cost sim card there for the phone that will work in most of the Baltic ports.

Is there a convenient place to get such a thing in Amsterdam? Our base of operations will be the Movenpick Hotel. Anyone with any experience doing this?

Thanks for any advice.

Art

We are arriving early in the morning and will be picked up at the airport by a cruise manager. We hope to see the Van Gogh museum that day and we know that either tram 2 or 5 will get us there and back to Centraal Station. Can we buy tickets on the tram or the one day ticket? We plan just to go to the museum and come back -possibly stopping at Dam Square if we have time-so is it cheaper to get tickets on board or a day ticket? Also we will go through the station to get to the river cruise ship, is there anything interesting to see in the station itself and can I buy cut tulips there?Also what is the symbol that denotes a tram stop - I know that we are getting off at the hobbemastraat stop for the museum but I don't know the stop for Dam Square unless that is the name of the stop. Thanks for the help.

We are arriving early in the morning and will be picked up at the airport by a cruise manager. We hope to see the Van Gogh museum that day and we know that either tram 2 or 5 will get us there and back to Centraal Station. Can we buy tickets on the tram or the one day ticket? We plan just to go to the museum and come back -possibly stopping at Dam Square if we have time-so is it cheaper to get tickets on board or a day ticket? Also we will go through the station to get to the river cruise ship, is there anything interesting to see in the station itself and can I buy cut tulips there?Also what is the symbol that denotes a tram stop - I know that we are getting off at the hobbemastraat stop for the museum but I don't know the stop for Dam Square unless that is the name of the stop. Thanks for the help.

Lots of good questions:

First let me direct you to the tram map of Amsterdam

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Combinomap.aspx

It maybe too much, but you are right about tram 2 and 5 to the museums and back to Dam Square. Again, I don't know the latest about tram tickets, but I am almost sure you can buy them on the tram, but ask for a 'retour' or transfer ticket. You can then use the same tram within an hour's time going the same or other directions.

Ask your guide when he/she picks you up at the airport.

The train station in itself has not too much to offer, but just in front (and all over the city) you will find a market which probably has flowers. However, I would recommend that instead of getting off the tram at the Dam, go to the Munt and visit the 'floating flower market'. (see tram map)

When you are on the tram and don't know where to get off, just ask the person standing or seated next to you. They will smile and answer your questions in almost perfect English.

I am considering taking an unlocked quad band GSM cell phone on our Baltics cruise.

Since we are starting with three days in Amsterdam, I'd like to pick up a low cost sim card there for the phone that will work in most of the Baltic ports.

Is there a convenient place to get such a thing in Amsterdam? Our base of operations will be the Movenpick Hotel. Anyone with any experience doing this?

Thanks for any advice.

Art

Art, I am going to leave this one up to Ine. Simply because I have no idea what you are talking about. If all else failes use Google or ask at the hotel.

Art, I am going to leave this one up to Ine. Simply because I have no idea what you are talking about. If all else failes use Google or ask at the hotel.

Amazing. I didn't think you could be stumped. Do I get a prize? :)

FWIW, in a mobile phone, the sim card identifies the phone to the network and carrier. In other words, it is where the phone's number is stored along with other information.

Art

I assume your ship will dock in Rotterdam, not Amsterdam - as most Princess ships do.

Keukenhof does replanting, but May 19 is rather late in the season. Also because spring in NL is warmer than usual. That means flowers bloom earlier.

Have you considered going to Delft, which is not too far from Rotterdam?

It is a short trainride from Rotterdam.

Check the website of Mr. *****, he also has some detailed walking tours in Delft as well as in Rotterdam.

http://www.*****.com/travel2.htm

Yes we are dock on Rotterdam (I guess the title doesn't continue in the message). Is it difficult to get from the dock in Rotterdam to the train station? I think I will try to find out about the status of the flowers and if they are done head to Amsterdam by train and take advantage of the information on the walking tour by Lair Bear.

Karen

Yes we are dock on Rotterdam (I guess the title doesn't continue in the message). Is it difficult to get from the dock in Rotterdam to the train station? I think I will try to find out about the status of the flowers and if they are done head to Amsterdam by train and take advantage of the information on the walking tour by Lair Bear.

Karen

Just walk for about 5 minutes to the big white Erasmusbridge. You will find tramstops to Centraal Station but also metro (underground). Watch you take them into the right direction. You must pay in Euros, machines for tickets will be available.

Amazing. I didn't think you could be stumped. Do I get a prize? :)

FWIW, in a mobile phone, the sim card identifies the phone to the network and carrier. In other words, it is where the phone's number is stored along with other information.

Art

I am not realy familiar with that too, but I assume most Phone-shops can help you with that. Plenty around of them.

Art, I found this online:

http://www.planetomni.com/SIM_CTRY_netherlands-tmobile_DTL.shtml

I haven't read it carefully, but I think it suggests that you get a sim card at home, and then use it in Europe.

I do recommend you checking with your service provider and finding out which phone companies are compatible for the countries you are visiting. That way, if you have problems, you will know which phone stores will be best able to help you.

Archived