Amsterdam on your own...what did you do?

kruzin'

We did Amsterdam on our own and it was a challenge due to our ship being docked out from town due to the SAIL Amsterdam. We hired a taxi for all day--560 euros but there were 8 of us so it was very reasonable. We got a tour of downtown including the Red Light district but no one was out since it was around 10 am. We saw the display about the dikes, the Anne Frank house (got tickets ahead of time online), went out into the country to see the countryside, went to Marken and Voldam (sp may not be correct), and ended up at Zanns Schans to see windmills. We got to see so much that we might not have seen otherwise. We were back to the ship in plenty of time. Rudy is the name of the taxi. He was wonderful and spoke excellent English.

Pearl

oh I would love to see the parade, Is it hard to get to view it, we are staying city center. sailing out on the 17th April. I love seeing flowers used as art, we have been to the Pasadena Rose Parade twice & I adored some of the floats.

By 'staying city center' I assume you mean Amsterdam rather than Haarlem.

To see the flower floats you would have to take the train to Haarlem. It is only about 15 minutes away from Amsterdam, so very doable. The floats will be arriving in Haarlem on the 16th but still on display the following day which is Sunday. Expect lots of people.

In Haarlem it is a short walk from the train station to the main square. For some details about seeing Haarlem go to http://www.*****.com/haarlem

Have a great trip.

Thank you Lair Bear. I am printing out your map of Harlem. We will go on the 16th, ( ship sail on the 17th) will any time of day be a good time to see the floats/flowers?

The parade ends in Haarlem (the original Harlem) but it will be in the evening. Below are some times along the route and you can see in Haarlem they expect to arrive around 9:00 in the evening. So, it will be late getting back to Amsterdam.

What you could also do is to go to Keukenhof (the large garden that is a must during that time of the year) in the early afternoon and then wait there for the parade to pass by. As shown below, it will be near Keukenhofdreef around 3:35 pm. To see where that is, you can go to Google Map and plug in the address in Lisse.

There are public busses to go there from Amsterdam and Ine or I can give you details about that if you are interested. But again expect large crowds.

Otherwise, you could still go to Haarlem on Sunday and have plenty of time to return to you cruise ship before it departs.

So now you have some options.

LISSE

Rotonde Lisse Zuid/Tuincentrum Overvecht 15.00

Gemeentehuis 15.15

Rotonde – Keukenhofdreef /Westelijke Randweg 15.35

Rotonde Lisse Noord 15.50

HILLEGOM

Kruising N207 16.10

Kruising Olympiaweg 16.35

Centrum 16.45

Kruising Weeresteinstraat/Pastoorslaan/Oude Weerlaan 17.10

Haarlemmerstraat Ford Museum 17.30

Ford Museum / HERSTART 19.00

BENNEBROEK

Rijksstraatweg -Bennebroekerlaan 19.25

HEEMSTEDE

Herenweg - ingang Groenendaal 19.50

Van Merlelaan 20.10

HAARLEM

Kruising Westelijke Randweg 20.35

Dreef 21.00

Kampervest - Eendjesbrug 21.20

Thank you Lair Bear. I am printing out your map of Harlem. We will go on the 16th, ( ship sail on the 17th) will any time of day be a good time to see the floats/flowers?

One more thing about going to Keukenhof. Besides local busses you might want to check with one of the tour companies that go from Amsterdam directly to the gardens. Here is one, but there are others. Because of the special events (parade and all) you might consider making advanced reservations, or at least check the following:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Keukenhof-Gardens-and-Tulip-Fields-Tour-from-Amsterdam/d525-2550LIN12A

The local bus normally goes along the route of the parade and, so, the bus most likely will not run that day. You would have to detour via the airport.

Thanks so much for all the great info! My transatlantic cruise ends in Amsterdam and I have only about 1 day there :( Wish I had more. At this point, I plan to take a canal cruise, go to the Van Gogh museum, see the red light district, and possibly the Anne Frank Haus. I will have the day I get off the ship, and my flight leaves at 2pm the next day. Is my plan too ambitious?

I plan to stay somewhere near the Central Station, thinking that it would be closer to everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for all the great info! My transatlantic cruise ends in Amsterdam and I have only about 1 day there :( Wish I had more. At this point, I plan to take a canal cruise, go to the Van Gogh museum, see the red light district, and possibly the Anne Frank Haus. I will have the day I get off the ship, and my flight leaves at 2pm the next day. Is my plan too ambitious?

I plan to stay somewhere near the Central Station, thinking that it would be closer to everything. Any suggestions?

I don't think that is too much as long as you are staying over night. Ine usually has lots of information about hotels, etc. Perhaps she can answer you better about hotels.

Be sure to go on line and get advanced reservations for the Anne Frank House (you can Google the web site). When you arrive there, you will see a long line. But just go to a door to the left of the line, ring the door bell and they will let you in before all the others.

To go to the Rijks Museum and the Van Gogh Museum you need to take one of several trams that go there. I am sure your hotel congiers can help you with that depending on where you are staying. I would suggest doing the museums later in the afternoon when it is not as busy as in the morning. You could spend an hour in each (or more if you really want to) and I believe they are open late in the day. Again check.

Has anyone taken an "Amsterdam on your own" tour with a ship that did not dock in Amsterdam? our ship will be in Rotterdam and we are taking the bus in for the day. Im really curious where the drop off/pick up spot is so that I can better plan our day.

Here is one way you could do this. Consider the Moverpick Hotel which is right next door to the cruise terminal. After you leave the ship, you simply pickup your bags and walk next door.

Then when you are checked in, walk across the street to the tram stop for either tram 25 or 26 going north (to your right) heading for the train station. You could also walk along the waterfront to the Centraal Station (about one kilometer, or 20 minutes. Pleasant on a nice day). Here you will find the boat tours, ask.

After the boat tour, take tram number 17 to go to the Anne Frank House. Get off at the Westermarkt, again ask. You could also walk there using the Amsterdam Walking Tour No. 1

http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

The Anne Frank House takes about an hour. Then you could take tram 17 back a couple blocks and transfer to tram 2 or 5 to go to the museums. Transfers are free but ask the conductor. Again you could walk to the tram stop by going back along the walking tour or along the Rozengracht.

To go to the airport the following morning you could take a shuttle. Ask at the front desk.

http://www.viator.com/Amsterdam-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d525-g15?pref=02&aid=g1454

We are going to be arriving at Schipol around 0800 on 19 May and then spend 20 and 21 May in Amsterdam.

Clearly there is an amazing amount to see in Amsterdam, but we would also like to see Keukenhof. According to the Viator site, 20 May is the last day for their tours to Keukenhof. At a price of about 24 euros, (sale ending in two days), it sounds like a great deal. However, it is an all day event, 9 hours in length. We do enjoy gardens.

Given our limited time in Amsterdam and what there is to see there and the price of this tour, is there a good reason either to go or not go on this tour? My impression is that it probably cost about the same to do on our own, and not really save any time.

Thanks for your input.

Art

Is there a way to get a transit pass for the day in advance? I sure would be nice to get off the ship, and get on a tram without having to stop to make arrangements for travel for the day. When you only have 8 hours in town with so much to do, every minute is precious.

Also, I was wondering if it was safe to walk along the tunnel under the railroad tracks near the pier. I saw that if we turn left from the pier, instead turning right to go to Centraal Station, we would get to Kattenburgerstraat, which would take us the Maritime Museum (which will probably still be closed when we are there), and be close to Botanical Gardens, the Jewish Museum, the Tropenmuseum, and the windmill with a brewery next door.

We are going to be arriving at Schipol around 0800 on 19 May and then spend 20 and 21 May in Amsterdam.

Clearly there is an amazing amount to see in Amsterdam, but we would also like to see Keukenhof. According to the Viator site, 20 May is the last day for their tours to Keukenhof. At a price of about 24 euros, (sale ending in two days), it sounds like a great deal. However, it is an all day event, 9 hours in length. We do enjoy gardens.

Given our limited time in Amsterdam and what there is to see there and the price of this tour, is there a good reason either to go or not go on this tour? My impression is that it probably cost about the same to do on our own, and not really save any time.

Thanks for your input.

Art

One reason for the lower price is the chance that the flowers are done blooming. May 20 is pretty late, but if the season starts out cold (as it has been thus far), the flowers are late starting. Keukenhof is surrounded by trees and has more shade than the open flower fields, and that will delay the blooming period. So, it is a gamble to book in advance.

I would wait and see what gives when you get there or shortly before.

Is there a way to get a transit pass for the day in advance? I sure would be nice to get off the ship, and get on a tram without having to stop to make arrangements for travel for the day. When you only have 8 hours in town with so much to do, every minute is precious.

Also, I was wondering if it was safe to walk along the tunnel under the railroad tracks near the pier. I saw that if we turn left from the pier, instead turning right to go to Centraal Station, we would get to Kattenburgerstraat, which would take us the Maritime Museum (which will probably still be closed when we are there), and be close to Botanical Gardens, the Jewish Museum, the Tropenmuseum, and the windmill with a brewery next door.

The system for paying for transportation in Amsterdam has changed. Last time we were there you would simply pay the conductor and ask for a transfer (good for one hour, any direction). The 'strippenkaarten' or the old way for a 'transit pass' no longer works. Locals now use a special credit card but that would be hard to get for us visitors.

Going east from the cruise ship terminal is certainly possible and you should have no trouble doing what you suggest. There is a good pedestrian path on both sides of the Kattenbrgerstraat going under the tracks and across the bridge.

If you have been to Amsterdam before and want to bypass the 'downtown' attractions than go for it. You seem to have studied the map and it sounds like you know where to go. You might also consider the renovated Maritime museum which is in that direction. It is along the K. street just before you cross the second bridge.

One reason for the lower price is the chance that the flowers are done blooming. May 20 is pretty late, but if the season starts out cold (as it has been thus far), the flowers are late starting. Keukenhof is surrounded by trees and has more shade than the open flower fields, and that will delay the blooming period. So, it is a gamble to book in advance.

I would wait and see what gives when you get there or shortly before.

The price break appears to be for the entire season. The issue is that it has to be booked by 31 March.

From another perspective, if the season is warm and the tulips are gone, does that mean there will be a corresponding increase in some other kind of bloom?

Thanks

Art

You might also consider the renovated Maritime museum which is in that direction. It is along the K. street just before you cross the second bridge.

Sorry, I don't know when you are planning this trip, but the Maritime museum is scheduled to open in September. That is too late for most visitors this year.

If you are interested in various museums you might have a look at the following web site. It lists almost 900 attractions in the Netherlands, many of them in Amsterdam.

http://www.dutchmuseumsite.com

From another perspective, if the season is warm and the tulips are gone, does that mean there will be a corresponding increase in some other kind of bloom? Art

To be honest, I am not totally aware what is happening right now as far as the 'season' is concerned. It does depend not only what the weather is like at the time you want to visit, but what has happened in the late winter, early spring.

Flowering bulbs start with crocuses, then daffodils (narcissus), hyacinths (very fragrant) and finally tulips. Once the tulips are gone, Keukenhof is a nice, quiet garden.

There are, of course, many other flowering plants such as the rhododendrons and azaleas, but the main attractions at Keukenhof are the tulips.

I will try and reply to some questions and suggestions.

Winter has been severe in NL with snow and ice. However spring has started with great weather, it is too warm for the time of the year at the moment.

According to a friend living amidst the fields flowers are blooming about 10-14 days earlier than normal.

For the parade on April 16 plenty of hyacinths will be blooming and used. (Some springs there werenot enough due to the cold).

Keukenhof had a lot of shade because of the trees, so flowers bloom a little later there. Also they do a lot of replanting. But if you go at the end of the season you will see some but not much flowers blooming. Probable some late blooming tulips. I donot expect any fields blooming after end of April due to the warmth. Fields only bloom a few days, then are topped as not the flower but the bulb is important.

Tickets for public transport have been for sale inside the cruise-terminal so I think it still will. The tourist office usually has a small office open there.

Re Hotels, indeed Muvenpick is right at the cruise-terminal. Some people have had a great rate through priceline.

Thank you to both Ine and Lair Bear. I will certainly look for the transit office in the terminal, Ine! Lair (if I may be informal), we have been to Amsterdam once before, and while I was planning to go to the Houseboat museum by the Anne Frank house, I thought it would be a good idea to have an alternative route, since there is so much to see in the other direction as well.

One more thing about going to Keukenhof. Besides local busses you might want to check with one of the tour companies that go from Amsterdam directly to the gardens. Here is one, but there are others. Because of the special events (parade and all) you might consider making advanced reservations, or at least check the following:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Keukenhof-Gardens-and-Tulip-Fields-Tour-from-Amsterdam/d525-2550LIN12A

The local bus normally goes along the route of the parade and, so, the bus most likely will not run that day. You would have to detour via the airport.

thank you, this looks like a wonderful idea. :D

Is it necessary to reserve a canal tour in advance, or can that be just a walk on thing?

Most are just walk on, but during the summer months and weekends there might be a short line. The tour lasts about an hour and costs between 7 and 10 euros. For special occasion tours such as dinner cruises, you need to make reservations. For more details go to:

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/180-amsterdam-canal-tours

Most are just walk on, but during the summer months and weekends there might be a short line. The tour lasts about an hour and costs between 7 and 10 euros. For special occasion tours such as dinner cruises, you need to make reservations. For more details go to:

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/180-amsterdam-canal-tours

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

We are there for 1 and 1/2 days, so I really want to do a canal tour.

Probably joining in too late, but I just wanted to make a couple of suggestions that I do not think have been mentioned. Depending on how long you are staying in Amsterdam, I suggest hitting some markets and noshing on some amazing local food from the vendors. (I love going to markets and interacting with vendors and shoppers because they provide such an insight into a culture.)

Two of the markets I visited on my week-long trip to Amsterdam in and around the 2010 big freeze were: Albert Cuyp Markt in Amsterdam (Mon-Sat) and Delft Grote Markt in Delft (Thurs). These are both outdoor markets, but despite the freezing temps, I enjoyed every minute of my visit there!

We will be arriving on the Crown Princess on May 19 from 9 - 8. I have my heart set on Keukenhof Gardens but I worry that the flowers will be past their prime that late in the season. If they are finished by then, do you have any other ideas on what my friend and I can do on our own.

Thanks

Archived