All things Independence of the Seas

We are sailing on Independence Nov.6th,going to Vigo,madeira,etc.Wanting to do a tour on our own(not RCCL).They(local tour guide) take Euros-we have U.S. $.Where do we get Eoros,or how does this work?Thanks much-first time for us with this situation.

Euros is no problem. If the tour company do not accept credit cards (most of them do) there are plenty of ATM machines.

The decision on whether to take a ship's tour or a private one has to be taken carefully. We always look at the security element and think of the worst case scenario. The ship will no wait for you if you are lete arriving from a private tour, but will guarantee a ship's tour.

If you get left behind in Vigo (with Madeira the next stop), you could travel by train to Oporto, spend a pleasant day there and then take a plane to Madeira (not too expensive).

If you got left behind in Madeira, what would you do? There are no planes to the next stop:eek: The roads in the North of Madeira are very twisty and the pssibility of an accident is not too low - they drive like crazy.

We are sailing on Independence Nov.6th,going to Vigo,madeira,etc.Wanting to do a tour on our own(not RCCL).They(local tour guide) take Euros-we have U.S. $.Where do we get Eoros,or how does this work?Thanks much-first time for us with this situation.

Presumably you are starting your cruise from Southampton? If you have time before you join the ship find a bank, there are plenty!

Presumably you are starting your cruise from Southampton? If you have time before you join the ship find a bank, there are plenty!

As above. Should be better rates than the ship exchange bureau which fixes the rate per cruise and sticks to that rate for that duration.

We are just back yesterday from Independence, and did a tour (the RCI one) in Maderia.

Our trip was late getting back, - last boarding was 5.30pm, and we didnt get back until 5.50pm, with a sail time of 6pm. We made it, just by the skin of our teeth!

We DID see some people, in other ports, not on tours, coming back late to the ship - Lanzarote where our sail time was 3pm, and these people thought it was 5.30pm as it had been previous ports, and the sauntered up to the ship at 3.15pm!! The Captain DID wait for them, but I wouldnt want to be the person who held up the ship, and I wouldnt want to bank on them waiting again!

In short, although the RCI tours are more expensive, IMHO, its worth the extra money for peace of mind.

Hope this helps!

Judi :)

We are just back yesterday from Independence, and did a tour (the RCI one) in Maderia.

Our trip was late getting back, - last boarding was 5.30pm, and we didnt get back until 5.50pm, with a sail time of 6pm. We made it, just by the skin of our teeth!

We DID see some people, in other ports, not on tours, coming back late to the ship - Lanzarote where our sail time was 3pm, and these people thought it was 5.30pm as it had been previous ports, and the sauntered up to the ship at 3.15pm!! The Captain DID wait for them, but I wouldnt want to be the person who held up the ship, and I wouldnt want to bank on them waiting again!

In short, although the RCI tours are more expensive, IMHO, its worth the extra money for peace of mind.

Hope this helps!

Yes . you have to consider what it would cost you to miss the ship. If it is the last port before Miami on a transatlantic, you could miss six days of sailing and have a very expensive air fare to find. That is probably the worst possible port to get stuck in.

Of course, the captains are well aware of this, so it is not surprising that he waited in your case to be nice to people - but they are not obliged to.

Hope this helps!

We agree!!!

I have to also agree. Over the years I have listened

to people talk about all their private excursions and I can

only think about "what if". I just have that extra piece of

mind, when I book an excursion with RCL. They SHOULD know

if we have not made it back. So again I agree!

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

The decision on whether to take a ship's tour or a private one has to be taken carefully. We always look at the security element and think of the worst case scenario. The ship will no wait for you if you are lete arriving from a private tour, but will guarantee a ship's tour.

Of course you could use The Irish Way to get back to the ship. :D

Jim.

Can anyone please tell me what the weather was like this past September/Oct on the Independence of the Seas? We are looking at four cruises... and would like to know which region and dates would be best, weatherwise.

Thanks in advance...These are the cruises and dates we are considering.

Italian Mediterranean

Departure Date: 26 September 2009

Southampton, England - 17:00

Vigo, Spain Lisbon, Portugal Cadiz, Spain Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy 17:00

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy Livorno,(Florence), Italy Cannes(Monte Carlo), France Gibraltar, UK

OR

Mediterranean Treasures

Departure Date: 12 September 2009

Southampton, England Gibraltar, UK Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy Cannes (Monte Carlo), France Barcelona, Spain

Málaga, Spain Lisbon, Portugal Vigo, Spain

OR

Canary Islands

Departure Date: 02 September 2009

</B>Southampton, England Funchal,Portugal Tenerife, Canary Islands Las Palmas, Gran Canaria Lanzarote, Canary Islands Vigo, Spain

OR

Canary Islands

Departure Date: 10 October 2009 </B>

Southampton, England Funchal (Madeira), Portugal Tenerife, Canary Islands Las Palmas, Gran Canaria Lanzarote, Canary Islands Lisbon, Portugal Vigo, Spain

Can anyone please tell me what the weather was like this past September/Oct on the Independence of the Seas? We are looking at four cruises... and would like to know which region and dates would be best, weatherwise.

Thanks in advance...These are the cruises and dates we are considering.

Italian Mediterranean

Departure Date: 26 September 2009

Southampton, England - 17:00

Vigo, Spain Lisbon, Portugal Cadiz, Spain Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy 17:00

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy Livorno,(Florence), Italy Cannes(Monte Carlo), France Gibraltar, UK

OR

Mediterranean Treasures

Departure Date: 12 September 2009

Southampton, England Gibraltar, UK Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy Cannes (Monte Carlo), France Barcelona, Spain

Málaga, Spain Lisbon, Portugal Vigo, Spain

OR

Canary Islands

Departure Date: 02 September 2009

</B>Southampton, England Funchal,Portugal Tenerife, Canary Islands Las Palmas, Gran Canaria Lanzarote, Canary Islands Vigo, Spain

OR

Canary Islands

Departure Date: 10 October 2009 </B>

Southampton, England Funchal (Madeira), Portugal Tenerife, Canary Islands Las Palmas, Gran Canaria Lanzarote, Canary Islands Lisbon, Portugal Vigo, Spain

We sailed on the 14 night cruise leaving 20th September. Embarkation and the next couple of days was lovely. Gibralatar was overcast on docking; poured with rain midday then glorious sunshine. We had fabulous weather in the Med up until we left Vigo on the return leg. Vigo itself was very sunny if windy. Open decks on the last sea day were closed to passengers as the wind and the rain combined to create quite a rocky road.

Thank you so much for the advise. I guess we will lean toward Early-Mid September than. THANKS AGAIN! Quick Question for Norbertsniece....Did you feel like 14 days was too much?

I am planning a family reunion cruise in which half are from Luton/London and 1/2 from the US. I am a little concerned about the drop off in food quality as the cruise went on, as stated by others.

A lot of the reviews I read complain about a lack of vegetables served with the main course at dinner. Is it possible to order vegetables separately as an 'extra' item? (and do they cut out the veg to save money?)

Main Dining eating is not overly generous with veg true, however you can always ask for more of anything. There's also a good selection of vegetarian options. Uncle would order a starter and a salad with each meal. My guess it's to do with wastage more than being 'tight'. Plenty of veg served in 'Chops'.

A lot of the reviews I read complain about a lack of vegetables served with the main course at dinner. Is it possible to order vegetables separately as an 'extra' item? (and do they cut out the veg to save money?)

We just happened to say one day we liked the broccoli and from then on the waiter asked if we wanted more veg and by the end we were getting an extra plateful usually of broccoli but sometimes whatever..

Can anyone tell me what the voltage system is like on the Independence? Are there English sockets or are they American? Will we need American adaptors and is it OK to use English hair dryers and straightners etc? Sorry if this question has already been asked..... Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what the voltage system is like on the Independence? Are there English sockets or are they American? Will we need American adaptors and is it OK to use English hair dryers and straightners etc? Sorry if this question has already been asked..... Thanks.

Hi,

You'll need an adapter as the sockets are American. Would recommend you bring an extension lead. There is a hair dryer in the desk drawer which is quite powerful IMO but then I have very short hair. Your straighteners will work fine.