How to sterilize bottles for a baby while crusing?

missbodies1177

I took sippy cups with us on our cruise last week. The rubber inserts present a similiar issue as bottles.

I used soap and a bottle brush to clean them. The waiters were also happy to pour boiling water into them for me to sterilize them when I didn't have access to the hot water tap myself.

I never had this issue when mine were babies, but I would suggest getting one of those plug in electric kettles for boiling water in. You could sterilize the small pieces in it then pour the hot water into the bottles. You also can always get very hot water at the self-serve drink bars too. They usually have it for making hot tea and hot chocolate.

The drinking water on the ship is very clean--probably more so than your tap water at home.

When we took our 11 month old last month, I took about six bottles, a bottle brush, and some Joy. I washed them in the sink each night. I did not sterlize them, but I don't do so at home either. I did rinse them with bottled water before making the bottles. I brought a few bottles of bottled water to make the bottles, and when I ran out I bought more on board. I would not feed my son water out of the tap, nor would I drink it myself. There is 'drinking' water in the dining room and I'm sure some people think it's fine, but better safe than sorry. I just felt better knowing that I was giving him something he was used to.

My other suggestion is to bring a stoller so your baby can nap. Taking the elevator was not what I was used to, but at 23 pounds he was too heavy for me to hold. For me, a carrier wouldn't do it.

When I cruised with my 10 month old, we used Playtex dropins, ready to feed formula and washed nipples in hot soapy water. Also brought used bottled water with premixed packets of powdered formula to take on excursions. Kept bottled water at room temperature, so it mixed well.

Good luck

Dayna

We have a small hotpot(rival) kettle. We would pack it with the cleaning brush, sponge, chopsticks and small bottle of detergent inside. It has a removable lid so you can just dunk the bottles and lids into. We also bring one of those mesh laundry bags(for stockings) to put all the bottles in to hang dry in the shower after.

Unless your child has an illness/immune deficiency that requires "sterilized" bottles, then you don't have to worry about sterilizing bottles. Hot water and soap is all you need to clean your baby's bottles. FWIW, sterilized bottles are only considered sterilize while they are in the boiling water. As soon as you take them out of the water, the bottles are "contaminated" by the environment. I'm not criticizing your effort for clean bottles, just stating that it is an unnecessary step.

Let me guess...this must be your first child...:D

Second kid will be lucky to even get their bottle rinsed out before re-filling!:eek:

HAHAHAHAHAHA that's what I was thinking! :D

Actually I did the playtex disposables too. We washed the nipples/bottles out in hot/soapy water and dropped a disposable in. Then I filled the bottle with water (not formula). We carried the powdered formula with us in premeasured containers.

We could be out on an excursion, just simply add the powder to the water filled bottle, shake and serve ;)

• 1 year later...

shygirl,

do you know if the Rival Hotpot is still allowed on Ships ? We plan to take a 7 day Carribean Cruise on Liberty of Seas ( RCCL ) . This will be our first cruise .

We have a small hotpot(rival) kettle. We would pack it with the cleaning brush, sponge, chopsticks and small bottle of detergent inside. It has a removable lid so you can just dunk the bottles and lids into. We also bring one of those mesh laundry bags(for stockings) to put all the bottles in to hang dry in the shower after.

No need to lug extra appliances on board just for hot water....:cool:

Ladies, parents, people...there's a little thing called ROOM SERVICE

Its WAY simple enough to fill out your room service breakfast card to simply say "1 carafe hot water" or "1 lg carafe hot water" and schedule delivery for the appropriate time every morning. The water comes HOT so you may want to also ask for a kettle of cold water to bring it to 'just warm enough'.

If you are so inclined, order a few so you can use the hot water for sterilizing. :)

If you are going to depart the ship for an excursion, simply fill a few bottles with the steaming hot water. By the time you need it it will be cool enough for kiddo.

Nevermind about the expensive pre measured packets of formula either!:p

Next time you throw out a formula can be sure to save yourself that scoop, maybe save a few scoops. When you pack for the trip, don't forget to bring yourself ONE (or more) ziplock bag(s) (sandwich or quart sized) and the extra scoop(s). When leaving for an excursion, dump a bunch of formula into the baggie. A rolled up piece of paper makes a great funnel OR you can use the scoop.

So, there you have it, hot water that will gradually cool off and formula that you will be able to measure while you will be out. ;)

I also had them combine the liquor for 2 for 1 mAArgaritas into one glass and top it with the mAAragrita mix just to save myself a few hundred calories.

I'm totally cheap, but it pays off in more ways than one!

This topic came up on the boards awhile ago. When ours were little, Playtex made those bottles where you put the bags into them. Perhaps they still make those? (Boy, do I remember those days)!

You can still get them, they are great! less to clean ( just the nipple and cap) and less air for the baby.

http://www.playtexbaby.com/Products/Bottles/DropIns.aspx

I love drop ins. I plan on bringing a little dawn and a supply of drop ins.

I have the perfect way to mix bottles on the go. I start with a clean bottle, drop in the liner, add my formula, cap, and go. I then add a small 8oz bottle of water in my diaper bag. When baby is ready for bottle, I pop the top, open the bottled water, fill the bottle, and have a cool drink myself. NEVER have to worry about milk spoiling or containers of formula. I am definitely bringing a supply of my little bottles on this cruise.

Unless your child has an illness/immune deficiency that requires "sterilized" bottles, then you don't have to worry about sterilizing bottles. Hot water and soap is all you need to clean your baby's bottles. FWIW, sterilized bottles are only considered sterilize while they are in the boiling water. As soon as you take them out of the water, the bottles are "contaminated" by the environment. I'm not criticizing your effort for clean bottles, just stating that it is an unnecessary step.

I just thought I'd ad to this that our local Public Health Department advises that serilization isn't necessary, particular after the child is about four weeks of age. Save yourself the effort.

Archived