Don't kill me for this question!!!!

carmel

Peanuts - Yes, buying a dress on the ship proved to be challenging, as I'm 5'2" and had just dieted and gotten down to a small size. There was exactly 1 dress in the shop I could wear. Thankfully, it wasn't full-length or something I wouldn't wear like spaghetti straps. (Some women look wonderful in them, but I'm not in that group no matter what my size.)

The last time I saw my wife in a dress, it was white and had a train. That was twenty-five years ago. She always wears pantsuits and they weigh a ton with all those beads and sequins on them.http://community.webshots.com/photo/26533528/26533588MnZpdidCRL

http://community.webshots.com/photo/64391194/64462688UMOdOy

http://community.webshots.com/photo/64463044/64463546zQXHMC

"i was just trying to put her mind at ease and by the way my attitude wasnt meant to drive you nuts,, I just feel that its supposed to be a holiday ,and not to get to wound up about dress codes ..and for the record I totally conformed with it last year any way sorry i got your back up.have a good day.................paula"

Nothing personal Paula, you just stepped into one of my pet peaves. It seems like in far too many areas these days, it has become the norm to ignore rules, disobey authority and be totally selfish in behavior. I honestly believe that attitude is a great detriment to our society. With that said, I must admit, ignoring dress codes on a cruise is one of the least egregious violations! ;)

"i was just trying to put her mind at ease and by the way my attitude wasnt meant to drive you nuts,, I just feel that its supposed to be a holiday ,and not to get to wound up about dress codes ..and for the record I totally conformed with it last year any way sorry i got your back up.have a good day.................paula"

Nothing personal Paula, you just stepped into one of my pet peaves. It seems like in far too many areas these days, it has become the norm to ignore rules, disobey authority and be totally selfish in behavior. I honestly believe that attitude is a great detriment to our society. With that said, I must admit, ignoring dress codes on a cruise is one of the least egregious violations! ;)

Good im glad we cleared that up ,we Irish dont like fighting with our u.s cousins ,can I ask you something? .......if you have already cruised with a particular cruise company before ,does it give you any benefits if you sail with them again?

I think it varies by cruise line. As far as I know, the only benefits from being a Carnival "Past Guest" is a free coctail party. They DO ask for you Past Guest number when booking, implying the potential is there for a discount, but I haven't seen it.

I can vouch for some people noticing if you are out of the dress code. The airline lost our garment bag, so all my dh had was shorts and black jeans. He rented a tux to take care of formal nights. Anyway, the very first night he had to wear long shorts into the dining room, and he fielded some nasty looks. One man shook his head disapprovingly, so we spoke up and told him our luggage was lost, and that was all we had at the time. fortunately I'd moved a skirt and a knit dress to our suitcase, and I was able to buy a formal dress on the ship. No, this wasn't on HAL but on NCL.
I've wondered about the airlines losing luggage. I've seen posts on here stating that the first night's dining is somewhat casual because luggage may not have been delivered to cabins yet. But if the airline loses luggage and the ship sails and you only have what you carried on, what would you do for the whole week?

Flame away, but there is absolutely no way that I would rent a tux and/or buy a formal on board. Sorry. People would just have to shake their heads disapprovingly at me for a week.

But if the airline loses luggage and the ship sails and you only have what you carried on, what would you do for the whole week?

I only saw this happen once, on the NCL Seaward. They lost this guys luggage. He simply bought new clothes in the ships shops using some kind of vouchers the line gave him. I ended up envying him, but I don't know how everything was eventually settled. Don't even know if his luggage ever showed up post cruise. Nor if he ended up keeping his new clothes. But he certainly was well dressed.

Archived