Live From The Noordam With Tomc

tomc

What are the sea conditions for Wednesday night and Thursday?

Wed night will be a bit rough as the night goes on. You may have 15' swells as you sail away and head towards the Gulf stream. We also use NOAA Wave Watch 3, but it's not user friendly. NOAA Wave WAtch 3 is predicting higher seas than the above :( Sea Conditions should be better on Thursday. Recent Quick-Sat PASS of the Gulf Stream indicates 60F Water Temp about 250nm Southeast of NYC. You should be at that Location at around Noon time on Thursday ?????

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/offshore/an/anz084.txt

Thanks for the definitions of TMI and FOD. I thought Friends of Dorothy was a meeting for Weight Watcher members. It puts a whole new twist on things.

That's heavy! Yeah, would have been a bit of a mash up to show up for WW and find FOD! I think WW is "Friends of Kirsty"...although apparently its not working out too well for Ms. Ally...

Actually, even more specifically -- Is there someplace online where we can check ocean weather conditions/forecasts?

Realtime Data bouy info, just click on the Zone that you need.

We also have many other sites but we are not at my home computer at this time.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

Someone asked about the chimes before supper. I heard them upstairs where the swells eat. They were announcing the end of the meal, as in, "ding-dong, get your well-fed butts out of here so the next swarm of locusts can come in and consume whatever you managed not to cram down your throats."

Actually, it's not the swells who are on the second level, just the traditional diners, of whom I wanted to be one. It appears that a bunch of people wanted trad but got AYW instead. I'm a convert to AYW if for no other reason than you meet a lot of new people each night.

The seas are kicking up a bit. I guessed at four feet earlier, when I could see them, but it could have been higher; hard to tell when you are in the Lido and the seas are, well, at sea level.

The sports fans are watching the Super Bowl as we speak. Or, it's about to start. I think it was announced for 7pm ET / 8pm AT, but seems to me the kickoff is always somewhat later.

I'm running out of minutes and have them budgeted so they run out Tuesday night. This is my usual plan.

This post has come to you live from the Noordam.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

TomC, thank you so much for taking us along. You are truly a master of words. Could you let us know where the Super Bowl was shown? I expect it was in the Queens Lounge, however, it must have been mobbed! Smooth sailings home. Although, if you are like DH, you will be in the Crow's Nest enjoying every single wave, as we did coming home from the X-Mas/New Year's Cruise.

Thank you, Tomc, for such a wonderfully written journal from the ms Noordam! As I pack to leave for our cruise on her on Wednesday, I am really enjoying your posts! Thank you!

And...you can be sure I will be still here reading on Tuesday evening! ;)

Could you let us know where the Super Bowl was shown? I expect it was in the Queens Lounge, however, it must have been mobbed!

I copied this from the live from the Maasdam thread. I would assume it would be similiar on all ships. Please see below:

Tonight is the Super Bowl. It will be shown in the Queen’s Room, Henry Hudson Room and Wajang Theater. It will also be on the televisions in each of the cabins. It’s going to be a helluva night for room service

We have had a passenger take ill to the point where it (he? she?) must be evacuated by helicopter. The captain came on and said he has turned the ship around and is headed back to Puerto Rico. When we get closer, a helicopter will rendevouz with us and take the pax from the rear deck. This will affect our arrival time in NYC, he says.

He will give us more arrival time information tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

TomC, sorry for whomever needs the medivac. We have friends onboard, and pray that it's not them. I just posted your report on the 2/6 roll call just in case and probably if the Noordam gets in late back to NYC.

We have had a passenger take ill to the point where it (he? she?) must be evacuated by helicopter. The captain came on and said he has turned the ship around and is headed back to Puerto Rico. When we get closer, a helicopter will rendevouz with us and take the pax from the rear deck. This will affect our arrival time in NYC, he says.

Our prayers are with him/her. Safe transit to all.

TomC, sorry for whomever needs the medivac. We have friends onboard, and pray that it's not them. I just posted your report on the 2/6 roll call just in case and probably if the Noordam gets in late back to NYC.

Thank you, LoveMyBoxer...I hope the passenger is OK. I always hate to hear things like that...so sad on someone's vacation...at any time, for that matter.

I appreciate your posting it on our Roll Call. And will keep my eyes on the Board for Tomc's updates.

When you have an update, would you mind posting it, Tomc?

Im. that would be my team---the Patriots playing some other team in the Super Bowl. They're going for a first-ever 19-0 season.

Go Pats!

Sorry not this time :) Yeah Giants !!!!!!

Tom,

Many, many thanks for keeping us posted while you've been aboard! It has made this waiting oh-so-much more bearable!:) Enjoy the rest of your time on the Noordam knowing your efforts were so well received and appreciated! Safe travels home.

Paraphrase from the captain's announcement:

We sailed south to be within the helicopters' 100-mile range. Because it was a nighttime operation, the USCG sent two copters. The man was evacuated at 11:00pm AT. We are headed to NYC at 23k There is a gale forming off Cape Hatteras, but we are hoping it will move off to sea and we can go between it and land. We should arrive NYC approx 10:00am ET [i think this is docking time, as he said something about picking up the pilot much earlier].

This post came to you live from the Noordam, where we just passed two catamarans and a passenger jet as if they were standing still.

Anz085-042030-

Baltimore Canyon To Hatteras Canyon Out To 36n 70w To 34n 71w

930 Am Est Mon Feb 4 2008

Gale Force Winds Expected Wed Into Thu

This Afternoon

E To Ne Winds 10 Kt. Seas 2 To 4 Ft.

Tonight

S To Se Winds 10 To 15 Kt. Seas 2 To 4 Ft.

Tue

Winds Becoming Sw And Increasing To 15 To 25 Kt Late.

Seas Building To 4 To 7 Ft. Highest Winds And Seas Nw.

Tue Night

Sw Winds Increasing To 20 To 30 Kt. Seas Building

To 7 To 11 Ft...highest Ne.

Wed

Sw Winds 25 To 35 Kt Early...increasing To 35 To 45 Kt

Late...except W Of 73w Becoming W To Nw 25 To 35 Kt. Seas

Building To 8 To 13 Ft...except E Of 1000 Fm To 13 To 18

Ft...highest Ne.

Thu

W To Nw Winds 25 To 35 Kt Throughout Early...diminishing

To Variable 5 To 10 Kt Late. Seas Subsiding To 3 To 5

Ft...except E Of 1000 Fm To 5 To 10 Ft...highest E.

Fri

S To Se Winds 10 To 15 Kt Early...then Becoming Nw And

Increasing To 15 To 25 Kt. Seas 2 To 4 Ft...except E Of 1000 Fm

Subsiding To 4 To 8 Ft...highest Ne.

Archived