Cozumel Cooking Excursion

Has anybody went on the optional excursion in Cozumel that is cooking authentic Mexican food at individual grill stations on the beach? We are considering this excursion, but are not certain of the foods that will be cooked. Any input would be appreciated.:)

Has anybody went on the optional excursion in Cozumel that is cooking authentic Mexican food at individual grill stations on the beach? We are considering this excursion, but are not certain of the foods that will be cooked. Any input would be appreciated.:)

Start with post #19. ;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=701176

Did the Mexican Cooking class along with our CC reunion on Jewel 11/2007 It was fantastic and we had a blast. It has to be one of the best shore excursions RCCL do and worth every cent.

Super young Chef very professional (Luis) beautiful clean kitchen. We made a great meal all in A/C kitchen and restaurant. Then had time at Playa Mia Beach afterwards all for the same price. Do it you will not regret it.

Have any questions be glad to answer.

Kate

We did this excursion last summer and it was wonderful! The facility is nice and clean and everything is very well organized. The chef and his helpers were very friendly and fun.

We cooked some fresh grouper with a nice sauce -- and those who didn't want fish could have chicken breast. Also made an appetizer where we filled some kind of flower blossom with a mixture of rice and beans and spices. Everything was delicious and it was loads of fun.

Just be careful not to overimbibe -- the free drinks were very good, whatever you wanted and as many as you wanted. (A few people overdid and I think they were sorry...)

One of our all-time favorite excursions!

The food is absolutely delicious. It's nothing like Tex Mex. The sopes were the closest thing to something I've had before in a Mexican restaurant and it was different and oh, so good! We had the same menu posted above. I wish I was having that meal again today! Chef Luis is an absolute doll!

We had a great time and the husbands were very happy and full!

I've done it as well. It was absolutely fabulous. We had some non-seafood eaters in our group and they cooked chicken. We also had one person who was allergic to mango so they helped her make a different sauce for her fish. Plus we all had access to the buffet at Playa Mia if we wanted (but the food we cooked was so good, who needed the buffet).

I've done it as well. It was absolutely fabulous. We had some non-seafood eaters in our group and they cooked chicken. We also had one person who was allergic to mango so they helped her make a different sauce for her fish. Plus we all had access to the buffet at Playa Mia if we wanted (but the food we cooked was so good, who needed the buffet).

Did you take a look at the buffet food?? Didnt look at all appetizing to me.......something about spaghetti at a Mexican buffet is just not right..:eek:

We went to one of the bars after for more free drinks,but they didnt use premium brands like they did during the cooking class...............food and drink in the class was all so much better.........

Just did this excursion just last Monday, and it was GREAT! Luis is the young, very personable and entertaining chef (he's 24!). Same menu. This class is held in a separate 2-story building that appears to have been built solely for this purpose. The dining room is upstairs. The other couple at our cooking station had been to the resort a few years earlier, had seen it when it was held outside and couldn't wait to join the class themselves. My daughter can't eat wheat, so they specially made her a corn meal only dough for the sope. I'm allergic to cinnamon, used in the rice pudding. They provided small pieces rather than powder, so we just left it out. The fish serving was generous and the mango sauce very tasty. Decorating the plates was fun. We learned how to drink Tequilla Mexican style. Gordito is the runner for drinks and ice cold water. There are several helpers that keep things running smoothly and on time. The Playa Mia resort is clean and colorful with shopping there on the site at reasonable prices. A large iguana posed for photos in the parking lot. The beach was clean with lots of "chairs" to lounge in. Large clean rest room facilities. The only drawback was that we only had 30 minutes to enjoy the beach after we ate. I guess we could have stayed another 1/2 hour and returned later by private taxi. The tents over the large open air buffet area are distinctive and easily seen as we sailed away at sunset and made a great photo opt from our balcony. Because there are only 5 cooking stations, the maximum group is 20 cooks and this excursion sells out in advance and well worth it!! Take a few dollars for a tip jar at the end of the day (strictly voluntary). A young woman takes photos of the individual groups with the chef and assistants. Normally we run from these, but with a heavy colorful frame, the cost was $22 for a great photo ($12 I think for the photo alone.) This experience was just plain a whole lot of fun.

Linda

Archived