Cell Phones--Summit

Lasarre

We are traveling on the Summit to the So Carribean. Is it possible to use Cell Phones to call the US? Do you need to get international calling? Any suggestions--I need to be able to check on my children.

Also does wireless internet access work on the ship?

Thanks for all your help

We are traveling on the Summit to the So Carribean. Is it possible to use Cell Phones to call the US? Do you need to get international calling? Any suggestions--I need to be able to check on my children.

Also does wireless internet access work on the ship?

Thanks for all your help

YES, cell phones work on Celebrity ships to call the US...

Please note: Satellite service is provided by AT&T Wireless... you can see the exact charges per minute on AT&T Wireless' website...

From my experience on board the Summit, Celebrity would "switch" on service while sailing, not while in port - normally in Port one would require to "pick up" a local service provider, which may cost more at the end due to roaming charges...

A word of caution... I utilized my Blackberry Pearl to the fullest on board - bad idea as it came out very expensive (then again I worked on board, and was communicating daily with home via voice and text and picture messages; my wife was pregnant at the time)...

WiFi is avaiable in varioius hot spots on the ship... I do not know how much per minute... I know there are packages available...

I hope this helps! ;>)

YES, cell phones work on Celebrity ships to call the US...

Please note: Satellite service is provided by AT&T Wireless... you can see the exact charges per minute on AT&T Wireless' website...

From my experience on board the Summit, Celebrity would "switch" on service while sailing, not while in port - normally in Port one would require to "pick up" a local service provider, which may cost more at the end due to roaming charges...

A word of caution... I utilized my Blackberry Pearl to the fullest on board - bad idea as it came out very expensive (then again I worked on board, and was communicating daily with home via voice and text and picture messages; my wife was pregnant at the time)...

When you talk about the satellite service are you referring to wifi or to the cell phone coverage? I have AT&T DSL at home. I also pay for wifi each month. I should check and see how it works on a ship.

Thanks

WiFi is avaiable in varioius hot spots on the ship... I do not know how much per minute... I know there are packages available...

I hope this helps! ;>)

Most cruise ships now have their own cell tower. Typically they charge a fee of approxamitely $2.50 per minute roaming charges. They charges are billed in addition to your regular cell phone plan (i.e. even if you have free roaming, they are still charges). If you need to use your phone in a pinch, it is OK, but if you use it to chat or regularly, you will be hit with an enormous bill. Ships are not authorized as land based carriers, so they have to turn their own cell tower off while in or near ports - as such you typically (depending on your plan) can get better rates during these times. It is probably cheapest to purchase a calling card while in port and use land based phones in port for phone calls.

Most cruise ships now have their own cell tower. Typically they charge a fee of approxamitely $2.50 per minute roaming charges. They charges are billed in addition to your regular cell phone plan (i.e. even if you have free roaming, they are still charges). If you need to use your phone in a pinch, it is OK, but if you use it to chat or regularly, you will be hit with an enormous bill. Ships are not authorized as land based carriers, so they have to turn their own cell tower off while in or near ports - as such you typically (depending on your plan) can get better rates during these times. It is probably cheapest to purchase a calling card while in port and use land based phones in port for phone calls.

What kind of calling card and where do I get it? What about renting a satellite phone??

Thanks so much

What kind of calling card and where do I get it? What about renting a satellite phone??

Thanks so much

Thanks so much

I just returned from the Summit and was told by GR that Celebrity does not charge for their cell service. However, your own carrier can stick it to you pretty good depending on who it is and what kind of plan you have. I never found out how much it would cost me to use my cell phone, so I simply waited until I was back in San Juan where I had my own carrier service. Someone mentioned a cost of $8.00 per minute, but I have no idea of the accuracy of that statement.

John

Lasarre:

You can use a cell phone on Celebrity ships when it is away from ports. ATT and Verizon charge $2.49 a minute. T-Mobile is $4.99.

Some phones will work in the Caribbean too. You never said your carrier.

Here is a link to Verizon. You will need to call your carrier to get International Roaming.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/cdmaroaming.html

Someone mentioned a cost of $8.00 per minute, but I have no idea of the accuracy of that statement.

John

That's not accurate for CELL phone service. It may be closer to correct for ship-to-shore phone (ie; using the ship's phone in your cabin).

Our last trip on Constellation, we used are cell phones sparingly while at sea. The charge was $2.49/minute. We have verizon service, but i think the cell was provided by AT&T.

Lasarre:

You can use a cell phone on Celebrity ships when it is away from ports. ATT and Verizon charge $2.49 a minute. T-Mobile is $4.99.

Some phones will work in the Caribbean too. You never said your carrier.

Here is a link to Verizon. You will need to call your carrier to get International Roaming.

http://aboutus.vzw.com/internationalsvcs/cdmaroaming.html

http://www.mobalrental.com/

Check out this site - they sell a "world phone" which can be used in up to 170 countries depending on which model you buy. Phones run from $49 - 99 BUT you only pay for minutes used and you have a permanent UK based phone number - rates are $1.50/min - $2.99 in the Caribbean - higher elsewhere. We will be using them in 2 weeks when we go on a cruise. Everyone I have spoken to is very positive about this service

If you use an iPhone, make certain you turn off the automatic scanning for email as this is a per minute charge for download time. Some have made a mistake of not doing this and have come home to a bill of over $2000. Same for download time on Blackberry's--it gets terribly expensive.

Wireless is spotty at best, and even if you find a hot spot, you're still charged the regular per minute fee. WiFi is not free.

If you use your own cell phone, you'll need at least a tri band, GSM or GPRS phone and have the international calling features activated. Some providers have a one time activation fee and some have a per month charge for international calling.

As for calling cards, the ones you purchase in the US don't work on the islands. You have to purchase individual cards at each port of call. Satellite phones are OK, but they are just as expensive as using your own cell phone

http://www.mobalrental.com/

Check out this site - they sell a "world phone" which can be used in up to 170 countries depending on which model you buy. Phones run from $49 - 99 BUT you only pay for minutes used and you have a permanent UK based phone number - rates are $1.50/min - $2.99 in the Caribbean - higher elsewhere. We will be using them in 2 weeks when we go on a cruise. Everyone I have spoken to is very positive about this service

1.50 to 2.99 a min is high for the caribbean (land based). and the ships service is 2.49 a min. Are you sure you wont be paying more per min to use this phone? This "world phone" would end up costing me more to use then my regular cell phone while in the Caribbean and at sea on the cruise ship.

The mobal phone mentioned in this forum is by no way cheap at all. Hit ebay and you will get the same phoen and even better models that are quad-band for less than $50.

If you are in the US and a tmobile customerb (prepaid or postpaid) you can get a Moto V195 quadband for $39. I bought 2 of these as backups. They will unlock after 90 days in good standing. If you are not a tmobile customer, you can unlock it for $20 or so on the net.

See tmobile payg phones

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx

1.50 to 2.99 a min is high for the caribbean (land based). and the ships service is 2.49 a min. Are you sure you wont be paying more per min to use this phone? This "world phone" would end up costing me more to use then my regular cell phone while in the Caribbean and at sea on the cruise ship.

Remember this is usable on land as well - and since you have no contract

it may be a better buy. If you are a casual cruiser - maybe it is more expensive - If you travel abroad often it may be a good alternative.

since these are GSM phones - you could also get a prepaid sim for anycountry not covered or a prepaid sim for the US. Friend of mine borrowed the phne when he went to Spain ( land trip) while he did not use it - it was in case of emergency at home with his 83 yr old dad - he got excellent service ( lots a bars) everywhere he went

Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll call Sprint and see what they offer. I remember I got an international calling package from them last time. It is like $2.99 per minute, but it may be worth it for peace of mind. It seems less complicated than buying a card in each port and finding a world phone.

I have an ATT world phone and last year in Europe it cost me $1.29 per minute in Italy and $.99 in England with no additional roaming charges. Last November on the Volendam it would not work at sea as HAL does not have an agreement with ATT only Sprint. I did use it while docked in Panama and Costa Rica and the $2.49 per minute I was charged was shocking. I complained to ATT and was told that many third world poor countries like Panama and Costa Rica have government controlled or owned telecommunications and they really sock it to tourist for cell charges. Celebrity does have an agreement with ATT for at sea cell use and they charge $2.49 per minute as well, which makes them no better than the poor third world counties they visit.:confused: :eek:

The mobal phone mentioned in this forum is by no way cheap at all. Hit ebay and you will get the same phoen and even better models that are quad-band for less than $50.

If you are in the US and a tmobile customerb (prepaid or postpaid) you can get a Moto V195 quadband for $39. I bought 2 of these as backups. They will unlock after 90 days in good standing. If you are not a tmobile customer, you can unlock it for $20 or so on the net.

See tmobile payg phones

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx

First of all - I am not a salesperson for Mobal so I have no vested interest in selling their phones.

Yes you can get unlocked phones on e-bay and I did purchase 2 blackberrys - a 7290 ($35) and an 8700 ( $115) - but neither had a SIM card. The $49 and $99 phone from Mobal does include one with their no contract deal. They were selling the sim cards a while ago for $10 and just the other day were giving some away ( probably for the shipping charges). Like anything on e-bay you do run the risk of getting a clunker. So being a technogeek - I opted for a new phone and bought the "fancier" version.

Ask me in 3 weeks how it worked out and I'll let you know.

Archived