cruising with kids

gizmo13

i have been on 3 cruises before but we booked a cruise for my husband, myself, and our 2 year old twins.. i am wondering will we have fun? what can my 2 year olds do on a cruise or should i leave them at home with there grandparents. i still have time to modify my reservation but we do want to take them but wonder what we can do on the ship with them? we are going 5 day wester car. to cozumel and belize on nos. any excursions for 2 year olds? help???

There is a family cruising forum that has lots of information about cruising with young kids that might be helpful. Many people do bring young kids and they have fun. Just be aware that adventure ocean is available to kids 3 and up who are potty trained. The pools on the ships do not allow diapers including swim diapers. Some of the newer ships, freedom class I think, have splash areas for untrained kids. The area has a special filtration system.

There is a play group type fisher price class for the little ones and their parents.

I would read on the family cruising board, I know you will get lots of help there.:)

edited to add link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Personally, I'd leave them home. They're too young to remember, the grandparents will love the "bonding" time, and unless they're potty-trained, they won't be allowed in the pools.

Not much of a vacation when you're taking care of 2 year olds.

Parents need to be MORE than parents--sometimes, they need to be alone with each other and re-connect. It's good for you AND the kids!

A cruise can be a great opportunity for a family vaction even when the kids are too young for the kid's club. As long as you realize that a cruise with two 2YO is not going to be the same cruise you took prior to kids and adjust your expectations accordingly, your family will have a great time!

In-room sitting is available for 2YOs in the evenings, there is also the Fischer-Price activity time and bring a small inflatable splash pool for the twins.

As to the kids "not remembering" while they may not retain conscious memories of the trip, the experience will become part of who they are. It can be a great opp to really bond with the kids and to expose them to new experiences. You are a family. If gma/gpa need some time to "bond" with the kids, ask them to come with!

That's really a decision you'll have to make on your own. Anyone who dares to post a negative post about this subject will get slammed by those who disagree. Personally, by the age of 2, I would look forward to time away from the kids with just my spouse.

But, I've probably already said too much. Gotta get the asbestos suit on....

I haven't taken two year olds on a cruise, so I don't know from first hand experience, but from what I saw on the cruise I just got back from today, it might be a lot of fun, but it won't be restful!

One couple that sat at the next table at dinner had a five month old and a 3 1/2 year old. Dinner was hard for the mother since she was not feeling well, the 3 year old was being a typical 3 year old and the baby was teething.

Each night she apeared at dinner looking more and more exhausted as she bounced a fussy baby and tried to keep the three year old seated and eating his food as opposed to playing with it and shoving it into his water glass. Her husband, while a nice guy and very friendly did not seem to be remarkably helpful.

Whenever we saw them around the ship, the husband and the three year old seemed to be having a blast. The mother and the teething baby, not so much. More often than not, we would see either the father alone or with the little boy and when we would inquire about the wife, he said she was back in the cabin with the baby.

The three year old was adorable by the way and he looked to be having the time of his life, whether he'll remember the trip or not.

I guess in deciding whether or not you want to go with or without children, you have to decide what type of vacation you want to have.

For me personally, when I take my kids, it is not a "vacation", it is just a change in venue for parenting. Meaning, when my kids are with me I am always on duty and that means that my freedom is curtailed, my responsibility is increased and the trip is largely about them and making sure they are safe, happy and having fun. Vacations with them are all about family time and sharing experiences with the kids. Those trips are very important to us as a family and mean a great deal to me.

However, there are times when I do need to be " off duty" or as much as you can ever really be off duty when you have children! And they stay with Grandma and Grandpa. This last cruise on FOS was without children.

We had so much fun and it seemed like so much to do for the kids that I can't wait to take them. I know however going into it that the trip we take with the kids will be a very, very different trip than the one we just went on. Our activities will be geared towards what they want and need and making sure they have a great time. On FOS that should be easy.

I guess it just depends on whether or not you are looking for an amazing family vacation that will require a lot of work and not much relaxing, or a relaxing break.

Personally, I'd leave them home. They're too young to remember, the grandparents will love the "bonding" time, and unless they're potty-trained, they won't be allowed in the pools.

Not much of a vacation when you're taking care of 2 year olds.

Parents need to be MORE than parents--sometimes, they need to be alone with each other and re-connect. It's good for you AND the kids!

That's really a decision you'll have to make on your own. Anyone who dares to post a negative post about this subject will get slammed by those who disagree. Personally, by the age of 2, I would look forward to time away from the kids with just my spouse.

But, I've probably already said too much. Gotta get the asbestos suit on....

And I have to agree with these two posts. Leave the tots at home.

I have taken my son all over the world -- and just cruised with him. He turned two in December.

We had a wonderful time. I was not exhausted or flustered. We had such a great time that we booked another one for next year.

Please come to the family board where you can get great information about cruising with your toddlers. I enjoy my kid and don't take vacations to get away from him. :)

My husband and I brought our 18 month old twin girls on an 11 day cruise to Mexico on Celebrity Mercury. It was awesome. No they couldn't play in the kids zone, no they couldn't go in the pool on the ship. However, it was fine. We were able to check out toys on the ship, which was nice.

Each night we ate at the late dinner seating. We would take our girls to dinner at 5:30 ish, (either in our room or at the casual dining venues) then go for a walk (there are lots of safe areas to do that). Then we'd go back and shower them, and get them ready for bed. By 7:30 we'd put them to bed and the sitter would come. For two hours or more if we wanted we paid for a sitter. We got to have dinner by ourselves and explore for some time.

As for excursions we went on a beach break through the cruise line, but that was too much for my girls to go all day! So after that I talked to the concierge about what we could do along the lines of beaches/hotels we could use and he gave us fabulous recommendations of hotels that we could go to and show our seapasses, possibly pay a nominal day use fee ($5-10) and enjoy their pools, towels, beaches,etc. We couldn't do and see everything I would have liked, but it would have been that way without them, too. Just keep a light schudle that you can be flexible with (just like at home!) All in all, it was the best vacation I have ever had.

By the time we got back to the ship the girls would be so tired they would get a good nap in, while they were napping we would turn on the baby monitor and sit out on the balcony and have lunch.

Our only worry was entertaining the girls and that was no problem. Our every need was met and our room steward was fantastic (made sure there was milk in our mini bar everyday).

We didn't have kids to leave them at home. On this board you will hear lots of moaners and complainers when it comes to kids, which in my opinion is riduculous. There are way more kids I'd rather be around, then most adults.

We had such a great time that we are going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii this year and my girls (they will be 5 at sailing) are coming, and they are very excited. Be sure to look at the family cruising thread, and take enough diapers. Go to the roll call and see if there are other families going as well. Your kids might not remember where you went, but they are still making memories when they are with you. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.

We just took our 9, 8, & 5 year old kids on their first cruise this January. They had a blast and we plan to do it again.

HOWEVER, I would not recommend taking TWO children that young.

Let me tell you why:

The family cruise we recently enjoyed was a "family reunion cruise". My DH's mom and two sisters came (along with their families). One sister brought her 1 and 2 year olds. She and her DH did not have a good time. It was a lot of work. The cribs did not even fit in their cabin. One evening, I took the 1 year old out of the dining room for over 1/2 hour so they could actually finish their dinner. The next night her DH just chose to stay in their cabin with one of the kids during dinner :(. It was just too stressful for him.

One young child is not so bad because the parents can trade off duties, but having two kids who need a lot of attention can be exhausting. (As I am sure you have figured out by now, LOL! But on a cruise it seemed to be more challenging.)

I would wait until they were 4 or 5, personally.

But ultimately, you know the temperment of your children more than any of us could...If you do decide to bring them, I HIGHLY recommend you dine in the Windjammer at dinner...it would be more casual and relaxing.

One thing that I have always thought was funny while on this board is how upset people get at the mere thought that someone would go on vacation without their child.

Taking a vacation alone with your spouse does not mean that you had kids just to "dump them off". Nor does it mean that you don't like your kids or that you are a bad parent. Any more than it will mean that your kids don't like you when they become teenagers and no longer want to go to the mall with you. It will just mean that in addition to being your children, they are also seperate people with their own friends and interests.

Being a good wife and being a good husband is just as important as being a good mother and being a good father. I think we forget that sometimes because raising children is such a consuming task and all of our focus is on our children. But what is so wrong about taking a few days to focus on each other and spoil each other?

In making a decision, you also have to consider the temperment of your child.

Personally, I could have taken my older son on a cruise at two. He was an easy baby who traveled well. I could take him anywhere. My younger son however was a more challenging traveler. He cried on airplanes and fussed on cartrips. He cried so long on a plane once that I was almost in tears. The other passengers were giving me dirty looks like I could make him stop crying if I really wanted to. Or like I was in a movie theater and could just walk out. Needless to say, I didn't even try to fly with him for years after that. We stayed home a lot.

People spend almost as much time on this board complaining about too many children on the ships as they do criticizing people who chose not to take their children.

Most people I ran into on the ship stated that their kids were off enjoyng themselves and they barely saw them. To me a family vacation means spend time with my family. But that's just me. To each his own.

I don't know anything about anyone's personal lives, parenting skills or personal situations. I realize that people make decisions based on what is best for their familiy. And acknolwledge that everyone tries to be the best parent that they can be.

I think that a lot of times on this board when people ask a simple question asking for help, they end up getting judged. The poster didn't ask if anyone thought she didn't like her kids, didn't want her kids, had them just to dump them off or anything like that. She didn't ask for posts about how much more you love your children than she does as evidenced by your unwillingness to leave their side. All she asked was if her children would be old enough to enjoy the trip or if they would be better off going without them.

My older son has been reading the cruise critic posts with me in preparation for the upcoming family cruise and thought some of the arguments that people got into were hilarious. But apparently he got the idea that a lot of people are not very nice.

So when I got back from my cruise and was telling him how nice everyone was and how many new friends we made, he said, and I kid you not,

" There must not have been anyone from cruise critic on board."

I had to remind him that most people do appear to be very nice on cruise critic and that the rude ones just seem to get all of the attention.

For the record though, people on the cruise did seem to be extraordinarily friendly and nice. But I'll write about that when I finish my review.

Why do people have kids -- just to get away from them? I didn't have my kids just so that I could abandon them and dump them off on my parents. There are enough times my wife and I need to be away (work, etc). We both love our kids and actually LIKE them too -- I don't NEED to get away from any of my kids and never had to!

Good for you, but people who take trips without their kids are not dumping them off. All parents love their kids!

To the OP,

Any chance that grandma and/or grandpa would also go on the cruise?

Do not know your family dynamics and the financial affairs of each generation, but we have travelled with our parents (grandmas and grandpa) for several years. This allows the bonding time that so many talk about when saying to leave the kids behind and gives you a bit of time alone with your partner.

It can work well as we have proven for the last 10 years in our family.

And the beauty of it is that two year olds and many grandparents have the same nap schedule!

Just a thought.

Come on over to the Family Cruising board where you can get very helpful advice on how to cruise with your children

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It's very possible to take kids that young AND to have a great time while you're at it.

Let me clear up some statements made on this thread...they CAN swim if you go on a RCCL Freedom Ship (if they are not potty trained). My youngest was potty trained by 2 (not my older one) so we didn't have to worry about this so much. But RCCL Freedom ships (Freedom/Liberty/Independence) do have "Baby Zone" areas for kids who are not potty trained.

If you go on a Carnival or NCL ship, the kids CAN go to the kids clubs. We did the Carnival ships while my youngest was 2. Then celebrated her 3rd birthday on RCCL Freedom because she was old enough to go to Adventure Ocean. On Carnival, they change diapers. On NCL, you will be paged to change diapers.

On RCCL, there is an in cabin babysitter for those over 1 if you want a few hours alone at night.

For parents of young children, I always advise booking a BALCONY cabin. When the kids go to sleep then you and your hubby can head outside for some adult alone time under the stars :) It's my favorite part of cruising.

My kids are 3 and 7. My 3 year old is excited to go on her 5th cruise :D She talks about it all the time. She wants to know why we aren't doing her 4th birthday on the "big ship" (I had to cancel it because of a schedule conflict with my oldest.)

I keep telling my 7 year old that I am going to open a travel agency for her when she's older so we can travel the world together. She is obsessed with travel and it all started with cruising when she was 2.

So it IS possible. And if you come to the family board, you will see very few posters say to "leave the kids at home" ;)

One thing that I have always thought was funny while on this board is how upset people get at the mere thought that someone would go on vacation without their child.

I think you get some knee jerk reactions from some of the people who deal with kids whose parents are consistently AWOL. It is difficult for some of us who deal with kids on a regular basis to separate the parents who are taking "one trip" without their kids from those parents who are really disengaged from their kids' lives.

While I would never want to travel without my DD, I admit -- I have just the one and she is just a wonderful kid to be with -- I understand that other people have different situations, different needs, etc. When we were taking care of my elderly father who suffered from moderate to severe dementia and had multiple other health problems, I admit there were times when I did need to "get away"

But:

+ As the mom who stays at the field waiting for 45 minutes for someone to come pick up a 6YO player.

+ As the Girl Scout leader who calmed down the second grader whose parents "forgot" to come pick her up.

+ As the registration volunteer at softball, who gets flatly turned down time-and-time again for ANY help from about 70% of the parents ("can you help with the concession stand for one hour sometime this summer?" "No").

+As the one of my DD's parents who both work full-time out of the house who are still recognized as the "desparation, last-chance" chaperone for any field trip. and

+ As the woman who is at this very moment listening to two of her co-workers plan their annual 2-week "couples only" trip to Mexico to "get away" from the kids -- who then cannot even afford one vacation day when one of the kids gets sick so she sends the kid to day-care to infect everyone else (because he "probably got it there anyway" and then complains that her mother "really picked a bad time to have had gall-bladder surgery").

I can also understand where some of the "dumping the kids" comments/undercurrent is coming from.

So take some of the "dumping the kids" comments from some posters in the same way as the "all kids are evil" comments from other posters -- it is a reaction to the "exceptions" in society not to the majority. (and hey even if you decide TO take you kids on your next cruise -- be sure to take time daily to be a part of their lives!)

It is hard not to interpret having to have "alone time" as a I want to get away from my kids. Like I said - I love and LIKE my kids. If I felt that they could not go on a trip with my DW and me, I'd rethink the whole trip before leaving them home. If your kids don't travel well at age 2 (or whatever), find something that will work for the whole family.

I have to say, your posts about this subject are the best I've ever read. Nice job.

And, I also have to empathize with the family where the mom seemed to be doing all the work while dad just had a fine time. I'm not a saint, but had we cruised when our child was a toddler, I would not have left it all to my wife. Love is a two way street!

To the OP,

Any chance that grandma and/or grandpa would also go on the cruise?

Do not know your family dynamics and the financial affairs of each generation, but we have travelled with our parents (grandmas and grandpa) for several years. This allows the bonding time that so many talk about when saying to leave the kids behind and gives you a bit of time alone with your partner.

It can work well as we have proven for the last 10 years in our family.

And the beauty of it is that two year olds and many grandparents have the same nap schedule!

Just a thought.

I think that is a grand idea!

:)

I haven't taken two year olds on a cruise, so I don't know from first hand experience, but from what I saw on the cruise I just got back from today, it might be a lot of fun, but it won't be restful!

One couple that sat at the next table at dinner had a five month old and a 3 1/2 year old. Dinner was hard for the mother since she was not feeling well, the 3 year old was being a typical 3 year old and the baby was teething.

Each night she apeared at dinner looking more and more exhausted as she bounced a fussy baby and tried to keep the three year old seated and eating his food as opposed to playing with it and shoving it into his water glass. Her husband, while a nice guy and very friendly did not seem to be remarkably helpful.

Whenever we saw them around the ship, the husband and the three year old seemed to be having a blast. The mother and the teething baby, not so much. More often than not, we would see either the father alone or with the little boy and when we would inquire about the wife, he said she was back in the cabin with the baby.

The three year old was adorable by the way and he looked to be having the time of his life, whether he'll remember the trip or not.

I guess in deciding whether or not you want to go with or without children, you have to decide what type of vacation you want to have.

For me personally, when I take my kids, it is not a "vacation", it is just a change in venue for parenting. Meaning, when my kids are with me I am always on duty and that means that my freedom is curtailed, my responsibility is increased and the trip is largely about them and making sure they are safe, happy and having fun. Vacations with them are all about family time and sharing experiences with the kids. Those trips are very important to us as a family and mean a great deal to me.

However, there are times when I do need to be " off duty" or as much as you can ever really be off duty when you have children! And they stay with Grandma and Grandpa. This last cruise on FOS was without children.

We had so much fun and it seemed like so much to do for the kids that I can't wait to take them. I know however going into it that the trip we take with the kids will be a very, very different trip than the one we just went on. Our activities will be geared towards what they want and need and making sure they have a great time. On FOS that should be easy.

I guess it just depends on whether or not you are looking for an amazing family vacation that will require a lot of work and not much relaxing, or a relaxing break.

Really well stated, giving both sides of the equation without judgment or criticism. That's exactly how we felt too when our DD was young. Once she was old enough to be more responsible for her behavior, family vacations became more of a vacation for all of us, but my DH and I were still always "on duty" as parents. I wouldn't trade those times for anything, but I also wouldn't trade those vacations that my DH and I took on our own to recharge, renew, and remind ourselves that we are not just parents, but also a couple.

It is truly such a personal decision. In all honesty, we would not have taken our DD on a cruise at that age, but that would have been our preference. We did camping trips and such at that age. Many, many parents take their very young children on cruises and seem to have a wonderful time.

If you're feeling guilty that you are considering leaving your wonderful twins at home, stop right this minute. First, you are not a bad parent for realizing that time alone with your spouse is important. Second, you can bet your booties that their grandparents will be happy to spoil them rotten for a few days. Third, it gives them time to bond with their grandparents, time that you can never get back later on. Fourth, it teaches them that although they are extremely important and that you love them with every breath, they will not be with you every moment and that they'll be taken care of and loved. By the time they're ready for school or preschool (which could be pretty soon), they will feel more comfortable with the idea of mom and dad not being there with them all day. Fifth, IMO it sets a good example to start when they're young to show them that parents need time alone together. It's healthy and not the least bit selfish or irresponsible to need and want "couple" time too. (I realize that there are parents who don't feel that way and wouldn't dream of leaving their kids at home. I respect that because it is what makes them happy.)

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a lovely time.

beachchick

I have to say, your posts about this subject are the best I've ever read. Nice job.

And, I also have to empathize with the family where the mom seemed to be doing all the work while dad just had a fine time. I'm not a saint, but had we cruised when our child was a toddler, I would not have left it all to my wife. Love is a two way street!

Thank you!

Our DD just got off her 6th cruise. We started when she was 2. She loves cruising. Its a matter of personal choice. On the Granduer 2 weeks ago they had times where parents with young kids could go to Adventure Ocean and the kids could use the facilities, with their parents of course! You'll never know until you try. good luck. happy cruising!

Archived