Summit or Voyager of the Seas for TA in DEC

Cruise Arizona

We are looking at two very similar Itineraries on two very different (I think) ships.

Both cruises leave the same day from Bacelona, visit the Canaries, then do the TA. The Summit finishes is San Juan, PR and the Voyager of the Seas finishes up in Galveston the next day. Because there are few afternoon flights that will get us home, most likely we would spend the night in San Juan and then fly home the next day. So both are atleast 15 day trips for us.

Prices on Cruises are very similar. 1st and 2nd person are more on the Voyager, but the 3rd and 4th person are less, so for our family of 4 the Cruise cost is about the same. Surprisingly the air fare either through the cruise or purchased on our own is virtually the same.

Both cruises are the same week of the year, first week of December.

So for those of you who have done both Celebrity and a Mega RCCL ship, help me decide which one might be right for our family.

I am trying to weigh the extras like the Ice Rink, Rock Climbing ect... against the intimacy of a smaller ship. I've always enjoyed meeting and getting to know other passengers on smaller ships and worry that on a ship that big I would miss that experience too much. Summit isn't really all that small, but I did enjoy many of the other passengers on the Infinity a few years ago. But at the same time a long TA might be fun to do on a big ship. So I'm kind of on the fence, but leaning towards Celebrity because it is familiar.

We are brining our kids, but since most kids are in school I doubt either ship would have many. 50-100 is a good number for them to make friends and hang out with, but they could have fun with us if there weren't other kids onboard.

Maybe you can help me out by pointing out something I might not have thought of when weighing my options.

I have now done two TAs. The first was the Millenium (90,000T) in May of 2005- Eastbound. It was wonderful. My son was 4 years old.

The second was on the QM2 (138,000 tons) Westbound in August of 2007.

I had a great time on both and can't really say that one was better than the other.

I love the mix of people on both cruises.

QM2- the fun people hung out in the Pub and I seemed to run into the same people over and over. It never seemed crowded onboard

The youth program was good but not as good as Celebrity.

The spa was better on QM2 than on Celebrity

The food and service were superior on Celebrity.

There were more pools and onboard activitities on QM2.

I have not sailed Voyager but one of the drawbacks is that the ship is all about the interior areas- and there isn't a wrap around promenade or expansive walls of glass to take in the sea. I read one review that said they never really saw the Ocean from inside and much is centered on the promenade (windowless) area.

I think the pros would be that there is the ice rink with great shows and many more activities for older kids. For a TA- bigger is probably better where kids are concerned. I think if it was just you and hubby I'd stick with Summit.

So given the two ships you have asked about... I'd have to say Voyager of the Seas.

I haven't been on the Summit but have been on the Voyager. I really liked the Voyager. Thought it might be too large but found it quite nice. You can go out on the very bow of the ship and watch it going throught the water. You didn't say how old your kids are but from being on other Celebrity ships I would think the Voyager would be best. It just has so so much to do to keep them active. Roller skating, ice skating, putt putt golf and rock climbing. I found the food quite good. I also like they had a buffet at night so didn't always go to main dinning. I don't think the Summit has a night buffet. Both are great ships I just feel kids would like the Voyager better

My son is so funny. I guess he likes to stick with stuff he likes. He said "Lets do the Summit since we know we like Celebrity."

The activities are a plus and a minus for us. We are so busy here at home with Dance, Cheerleading, Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Academics..... it is really hard to find simple family time together. We do all these things at home as a family, but sometimes we just like slowing down and doing simple things like board games or card games.

We also love going to the dining room together, though it would be nice to have the buffet alternative on those rare occasions like coming in from a late excursion.

So I don't know.... they both have Pluses. The Voyager cruise is a day longer and ends in Galveston. A lot easier flying to Phoenix from there than San Juan.

If the kids are happy with Summit- then you should do Summit. I did a 14 night TA (six were sea days) and we never tired of the ship.

But you might like a new adventure. I wasn't sure how I would feel about Cunard and QM2 and I LOVED it. I was a diehard Celebrity fan and now I am more open to trying other lines. We have two more QM2 cruises booked and one on Holland America.

I understand why you would be reluctant to jump ship though. I did the Radiance of the Seas in April of 2007 and it was a disappointment. Yes, there was a waterslide but only open from 2-4 each day and they were always late opening it. The youth staff was not as good as Celebrity and I resented how they bribed the kids to stay up until 1AM. Kids were really upset when the parents picked them up at 10PM because they weren't going to get a prize. This was obviously a way to get the $ 6 per hour babysitting fee.

The buffet was excellent on Radiance and the desserts were especially good. But no one helps you carry your tray. They did come around and offer refills on drinks and were very friendly though.

The ship was much more crowded than Celebrity Millenium class ships- but there were some little hidden areas to play board games quietly.

All and all- Royal is a step down from Celebrity. The staterooms are nice and the service is very good but I just felt like it was a real "mass market" line. Celebrity is much more upscale, less crowded and lower octane. I probably wouldn't sail Royal for myself but might do it again with teens- since there was a lot for them to do and they really seemed to enjoy themselves.

If you just want to do a Transatlantic though- do the Cunard QM2. I think you will be very pleased.

Isn't the Summit Pool set up just like the Infinity? Indoor Thassolo Therapy Pool and Out Door Multi Use Pool?

I'm starting to like the Idea of just flying home from Galveston and forgoing about 10 day time outfits to bring my Ice Skates along.

What ever we decide I think I'll have to budget in some Laundry Service since I can't haul along every thing but my kitchen sink for the TA flight.

I love the idea of this cruise because we get to take the kids to Europe and we'll count the Canary Islands as geographically africa, though they are Politically Europe, and then get to visit a few other interesting spot before returning home.

I just want to get away from it all an relax. If we do either one of these cruises we will miss the December dance recital, but I'm already excused as long as I attend one authentic Flamenco show while on the trip. (DD and I both take Flamenco lessons.)

The Summit would be my first joice. I sailed both ships. Voyager was an experience by itself- she was brand new when I sailed and the biggest ship ever built by then. There is a indoor Solarium Pool- at leat it was when I sailed her. I did not hear that they have it removed.

The Summit is more elegant, better service and better food- but that is just opinion. If the children are happy- the Summit hands down.

Greetings

Michael

I've sailed the Summit and on the Navigator, which I believe is a sister ship to the Voyager. Overall, I enjoy the larger ships that RCI has to offer. The ships are grander, there are more activities (18 hole mini putt, rock climbing, ice skating, etc), and the fact that the pools/hot tubs are open late late into the night are a huge plus for me. However, if food is very important to you then I would stick with Celebrity. The food on RCI is good, and on a large ship like Voyager it's just average...it' hard to produce quality food when you have 3000+ people to feed.

If you are a type of family that enjoys doing things together I would recommend RCI just based on the number of different activities they have to offer. If you want to relax and spend a little time together, stick with Celebrity since you know you like it already.

What it might actaully come down to is room selection. Using the RCCL online booking tool for sample rates it looks like a Celebrity Summit FV room may be the best way to go. I'll have to crunch the number a bit more .

The Larger Ocean View rooms that came up were larger and nice, but they were all at the bow of the ship. We could do a balcony on Voyager, but that puts the 4 of us in 188 sq ft. I will check with my Travel Agent at booking time to make sure that there are not other rooms that would work for us in 4K total price range. Suggestions welcome.

On Celebrity I thought we might consider two ocean view rooms or two regular balcony rooms, or one FV. We fit nicely into the smaller FOV's on the Merc so the larger ones on Summit would be really nice. Also the sheltered aft balconies are nice. If we book two rooms we are looking at an extra $140 fuel Surcharge because of the to rooms.

Here's what I got for pricing between the two cruises.

Voyager St. Balcony 188 sq ft. 15 day Cruise, Fuel & Taxes total $4301

Voyager Large Ocean View near bow $3802

Summit 14 day FV 224 sq ft large sheltered balcony: $4488

Summit St. Balcony 172 sq ft $4148

Summit two ocean view rooms $4986

Summit Ocean View near bow. $3668

When you crunch the numbers similar cabinsare really with-in $200 of each other. Very similar, $200 would pay for the hotel in San Juan or be justified by the extra day on the cruise.

Just returned from Millenium and had FOV 7202 - there were just two adults and the room was amazing best cabin we have had.Was on the Navigator in July with the kids and had 2 0cean views for 5 of us.These 2 ships are the sister ships of the 2 you are considering.Both lines are great in different ways. Voyager class we found excellent for families and felt much bigger and decor nicer than Millenium.When I first arrived on Millenium it did not have the wow factor for me like the Navigator however after one day I really appreciated the service and food.I would not hesitate to travel on either again but I personally would chose Voyager class for family holiday and Celebrity if it was just us adults.Both have different things to offer and my daughter loved the Navigator but I don't think there was as much for 17yr olds to do on Celebrity.:)

Just returned from Millenium and had FOV 7202 - there were just two adults and the room was amazing best cabin we have had.Was on the Navigator in July with the kids and had 2 0cean views for 5 of us.These 2 ships are the sister ships of the 2 you are considering.Both lines are great in different ways. Voyager class we found excellent for families and felt much bigger and decor nicer than Millenium.When I first arrived on Millenium it did not have the wow factor for me like the Navigator however after one day I really appreciated the service and food.I would not hesitate to travel on either again but I personally would chose Voyager class for family holiday and Celebrity if it was just us adults.Both have different things to offer and my daughter loved the Navigator but I don't think there was as much for 17yr olds to do on Celebrity.:)

Roxanne,

I have been through the San Juan aiport, but about 30 years ago, I guess it hasn't gotten any better. :D

Also, it looks like the prices will be a little less for RC because we are Select Captians Club members we get the corresponding discount in Crown and Anchor. So that would help a bit.

Archived