Favourite Thomson Ship  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Thomson Ship

• Destiny
    • Celebration
    • Spirit
    • Emerald
    • Calypso

We haven't done the Spirit or Calypso yet. We remember our holidays on the Emerald with great affection, she is just the right size in my opinion and the crew were just fantastic.

I suppose at the end of the day it's the itinerary that makes the cruise though ?

I know we'll be looking closely at the Calypso for next year dependant on the itinerary during August, the big 60 :eek:

The Topaz had a fantastic atmosphere but unfortunately long gone from the Thomson fleet.

Loved both Spirit & Celebration and would find it very hard to choose between them.

Emerald I'm not so keen on so it would have to be an exceptional itinerary.

However to me Calypso is the best!!! The ship is a great size but with plenty to do and the crew are fantastic.:)

Have cruised on Topaz, Emerald, Spirit, Celebration and Calypso.

Least favourite was Emerald.

Up until last year would definitely have had Celebration as best, but that was until I sailed on Calypso in August :)

• 5 months later...

... I echo that, The Topaz was my first cruise ship, and I went on 9 cruises on Topaz, I loved the ship, and although it was old and "quirky" that really didn't matter.... infact it was nicer than some of the new "box" ships... Since then I've been on Sunbird, Spirit and Celibration - I prefered Celibration, but Thomsons directly run Celibration and somehow it felt better than the Spirit (run by Louis) ... I was on Sunbird the week Airtours sold the ship to Louis, in the Caribbean, mid week all these greek's came onboard and started poking around... the week after it was relocating back to the Med, and all the Engilsh crew (Merchant Navy) were given their notice period... they either taught the new owers about the ship of they got dumped off the ship there and then and the cruise was cancelled.... the atmosphere for the last 3 days was crap, and I felt bad for the crew...

One thing with Airtours was they employed British Crew to run the ships, and that was nice, you had an authorative English Captain, opposed to the pitted english greek captains that Louis use....

At the end of the day though it boils down to £££ :-/

Hi my first cruise was on the Carousel, then Seawing, bith Airtours. Since their demise been on Spirit, Celebration and Destiny hard to choose between Spirit and Celebration but on balance it has to be Spirit, I ddn't like the Destiny nothin I could put my finger on just the whole atmosphere. Going on the Calypso in September and can't wait.

Hi there

Have been on Emerald, Destiny, Calypso and Spirit but not Celebration yet.

I think my favourite would be the Destiny with the Spirit a close second. My least favourite was the Calypso. Although the Black Sea itinerary is brilliant we didn't feel it had the same atmosphere as the larger ships.

I suppose everbody finds something different to like or dislike so its just a matter of giving it a try.

Smiffy 1951

Janet

Hi Jamiedog11:)

We agree with you - the Sky Bar on the Destiny is brilliant. The staff are great and it has a smashing atmosphere as well as great views. We are going on the Destiny again in March and hope Eddie and Gambit are still there.

Just noticed you live in Hitchin. We live in Shillington, Nr Hitchin. Small world!!!!

Smiffy1951

Janet

Have been on Spirit twice and Celebration - think preferred the Spirit but was probably because of the better entertainment team at that time. Interested to see views on the Destiny - we have been considering Caribbean in January but have been put off making a decision because the cabins look a bit dowdy - anyone got any comments on this?

Sandie

Hi Slhw:)

Have been on the Destiny twice now and have booked for Caribbean in March next year.

We love the Destiny. Yes the cabins are a bit smaller than the other ships and I suppose they could be updated a bit, but they are always clean and let's face it, unless you intend having a rave up, you only shower change and sleep in it.

We've never found it a problem and it certainly hasn't put us off going on the Destiny.

You will never know until you try and you could miss out on a great ship and great itinerary.

Smiffy1951

Janet

Hi Janet,

Yes what a small world we live in.

I wish i had something booked but no such luck, well i have been on her twice already this year so cant grumble (well yes i can):D :D

Yes the cabins are quite small and could do with a face lift , but as you pointed out you only sleep and shower in them.

take care

carol

They're a bit short on drawer space if I remember correctly as compared with Spirit/Celebration - just 4 quite narrow ones at the dressing table. (Standard cabins) If you can manage it, a few exra hangers may be useful to hang up T-shirts etc which you might otherwise put in drawers. The en-suites were a little bit smaller - but a little fresher looking as they had panelled walls rather than the mosaic tiling which looks a bit 'tired'. But as always everything was kept very clean on all the ships.

I think the cabins on Spirit have a warmer decor which is a bit more welcoming - but we soon got used to the Destiny and as others have said, they are perfectly ok for what you need them for. Hopefully you'll be outside enjoying the sunshine most of the time!

The Topaz was our first cruise and we still feel it was the best.

We sailed on her twice.We have been on The Spirit three times and The Destiny once.

All great ships. looking forward to August when we are travelling on The Emerald.

Archived