Bermuda advice for end of May

RnD

We have been on a lot of cruises (over 50) and always enjoyed Bermuda, It seems no one docks in Hamilton anymore, and the choice seems to be Saint George on one of the older ships, or Kings Wharf on one of the newer ones. Kings Wharf is in the middle of no where, and Saint George though nice is quite a trip into Hamilton as well.

All of that being said, the suites on the majesty are very reasonable, but the ship itself is very old and I have to wonder why the ship has every suite including both owners suites still available. The alternative of going to Kings Wharf on a newer ship is Ok except for the need to take a ferry any place.

Sorry for the long intro, but the question *finally" is, how run down is the Majesty given its age, and are the regular suites nice? Also how much of a nuisance is it to get from Kings Wharf to Hamilton or any of the good beaches if we chose that plan?

Thanks

Well, it's a mixed bag.

St. George's is at one end (East End) and King's Wharf is at the other end (West End). Hamilton is in the middle. Equal time getting to Hamilton, however there are more ferries into Hamilton from West End than from East End. Both ends have buses going into Hamilton.

The great beaches along the South Shore are closer to West End than East End and are easier to travel to from West (direct route) than from East (need a bus change).

Dawn is larger and newer ship than Majesty. Dawn will never be able to sail thru the Town Cut into St. George's. St. George's is better to berth than King's Wharf, but King's Wharf is good. It's shopping mall is good and due to addition of a 2nd berth there (to be ready for the 2009's cruise season) they are making additions there.

One thing to remember, Majesty is leaving NCL, so why don't you cruise on Majesty this time and enjoy St. George's once more.

NCL's Dream is okay to sail thru Town Cut into St. G but the larger ships like Spirit cannot. Also, if the winds are stong, no ships are able to go thru Town Cut - they go to Hamilton instead and berth at the container ship dock.

The Majesty is older, but she is well-maintained. She was a little run-down on our last cruise on her (October 2007) but it was the cruise before she went into drydock, so I'd imagine what small issues she had were taken care of.

Honestly if my choice were the Dawn vs. the Majesty I'd go Majesty because she docks at St. George and she is in Bermuda longer than the Dawn (the Dawn spends an extra day at sea on the way to Bermuda). The crew on the Majesty is fantastic, the food good (except the buffet which continues to be lacking...especially at dinner time), and if you're looking at her suites, you can't go wrong there (just a word of caution, many of her AB suites have obstructed views, so be sure to watch for that).

We will be sailing on the Dream (also older) in June just to have that last chance to go to St. George.

To me, cruising to Bermuda isn't about the cruise, but about getting to Bermuda and spending as much time there as possible!

Don't fool yourself, the Majesty, like the Dream is a 16 year old ship. You'll have a good time, but she doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles.

Really what it boils down to is whether it's more about the destination or the cruise itself for you, and only you can answer that.

Sorry for the long intro, but the question *finally" is, how run down is the Majesty given its age, and are the regular suites nice? Also how much of a nuisance is it to get from Kings Wharf to Hamilton or any of the good beaches if we chose that plan?

Thanks

I'm one of the big Majesty fans. She certainly isn't 'run down'. She's old, but she has a grace and style about her. Kinda the way I'd like to think of myself as I get older.:p Very easy to get around, clean and well kept and the best staff at sea. I've stayed in a CC and it was a nice oceanview room. The suites of course give more space and large windows, but there are no balcony's.

You'll read mixed reviews on this ship and I think the main reason is that people aren't sure what to expect and think it will have the flash and glamor of the bigger ships and are disappointed when it doesn't. But the Majesty has many fans, including me, who think it's the best small, old ship afloat! Also, depending on what time of year you're sailing, if its a crowded cruise, say summer, school holidays, etc., I've read the restaurants are crowded and many have had a wait. As she isn't specifically set up for freestyle dining. But knowing it can be crowded for dinners at certain times, and making adjustments, can be less frustrating.

As for getting around, I think that was answered very well by above post. Also wanted to say that there in St. George are some nice beaches also and some good snorkeling in Tobbaco Bay. I loved being in St. Georges for 3 days but easy to get around with ferry and bus pass. Just plan your day according to the schedule.

Personally, the Majesty to Bermuda was one of my best, most relaxing cruises ever. And she would be my first choice over the bigger, newer one's, and I have been on the Dawn and love that ship also. But for different reasons. Have fun whatever you decide!:)

I much prefer the beautiful Dawn and her balcony cabins to the Majesty.I would also prefer an extra day in Bermuda to an extra sea day but limited dock space in 2008 due to the closing of Hamilton's dock area for renovation makes that impossible this year. Hopefully, 2009 will allow us to enjoy the best of both worlds, the Dawn and an extra day in Bermuda?

My parents had a suite on the Majesty and my sister and I were in an oceanview several doors down - same deck. Their suite was quite a bit larger (couch/sitting area and adjoining bed area and a larger, nicer bathroom. OH . . . and the walk-in closet!), but . . . and I have to assume you're aware . . . that there is no balcony. In fact, the picture window was so salt-encrusted that you really didn't get a good view out. That's the one "complaint" my mom had when asked: that they could not see out of the window that they had paid dearly for. There is no easy way for it to be cleaned. I guess it involves ropes and platforms and a major hassle to get to it. My opinion? I'd book a smaller oceanvew cabin and save some $$ on Majesty (a very cool, older and charming ship) or spend the $$ and get a balcony cabin or suite on another. The suite on the Majesty just isn't worth the extra cake.

The suite on the Majesty just isn't worth the extra cake.

Depends on if you like the suite for the view and are basically a balcony fan, or if you like the suite because it has two separate rooms and concierge service, etc.

My parents had an owner's suite on Majesty and they loved it. Yes, the windows started out clean and got salty throughout the week so it eventually was not very clear. They really did not pay for the view. They wanted the room.

Archived